Skip navigation

Back to the top
Hi im new to this forum only just joined bought myself a mk1 golf cabriolet. Its something ive always wanted since my first one a tintop at age 17 .can anyone tell me whats the position fitting etc with the roof gas struts ive seen them advertised and have a manual folding roof .how and what are they used for ??
Thanks in advance dean

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Nice looking car,  wheels really suit the colour, welcome to the forum. can't answer your question, but chortle is the guru of all things soft top wise.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Thankyou il give him a try cheers for the comments

Back to the top
Welcome to the club first of all. :thumbs :

Are you talking about converting it to an Electric Roof?

Sent from my Smartphone

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
No just staying with a folding one but even the manual roof is supposed to have a gas strut on either side ??

Back to the top
There are gas struts on the Manual opening tops that assist you in raising the top all by yourself.  

When they go bad or bend the tops are a wee bit lopsided if they go one side bad.

The tops are wieldy to open and after you get half way, they fold really really fast.

Closing requires 2 people.

The Power Tops have Hydraulic rams, a motor and some safety switches.  Rams leak, motor impellers fail, and safety switch prevent the top from opening or closing.

All in all I prefer manual.

I never understood why the UK has so many power tops, but so little power steering.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

There are gas struts on the Manual opening tops that assist you in raising the top all by yourself.  

When they go bad or bend the tops are a wee bit lopsided if they go one side bad.

The tops are wieldy to open and after you get half way, they fold really really fast.

Closing requires 2 people.

The Power Tops have Hydraulic rams, a motor and some safety switches.  Rams leak, motor impellers fail, and safety switch prevent the top from opening or closing.

All in all I prefer manual.

I never understood why the UK has so many power tops, but so little power steering.

And don’t forget so little sunshine. To take my top off I will use an angle grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Thanks mate for your reply im new to all things cabriolet. I agree with you about more things going wrong with power hoods ..i dont want to add wieght either. Have a dig around in the hood and see if they are there at all as they don't seem to be. Cheers for the warm welcome

Back to the top
I'm definitely no subject expert but I seem to recall that the whole frame in different but please don't hold me to that.

So the best thing to ask Carl chortle  as he's the Guru on them.
Might take a while to get a reply because he's just started his own business fitting new tops, repairs and everything to do with Cabrio roofs. ;)

We wish him the very best of luck with his business! :thumbs:

Sent from my Smartphone

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

I'm definitely no subject expert but I seem to recall that the whole frame in different but please don't hold me to that.

BS. and they "the frames" are different.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

So the best thing to ask Carl chortle  as he's the Guru on them.
Might take a while to get a reply because he's just started his own business fitting new tops, repairs and everything to do with Cabrio roofs. ;)

We wish him the very best of luck with his business! :thumbs:

Yeppers, lots of Labor in that job….
But then again when a Auto Upholstery shop quoted me on 500 dollars per seat to re-do the Seat Back front Center section on my Cabby……. I thought for a quick minute about starting my own business….

So i just do tops for a quick few quid…

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Ok thanks for all your help il look into it Regards dean

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Golf Cabrio said

Briano1234

"BS"?
Hi Brian I'm not sure what you mean by that, please explain because in English, English it has a meaning which is unpleasant!

Sent from my Smartphone

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

Briano1234 said

Golf Cabrio said

Briano1234

"BS"?
Hi Brian I'm not sure what you mean by that, please explain because in English, English it has a meaning which is unpleasant!

Sent from my Smartphone
BS as in Bull Shipper, what did you think I meant. "No Subject matter expert" my Fat Aunt Fanny.  :)You know more than you let on about.  :):):)

Last edit: by Briano1234

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
The little gas strut is in the C pillar behind the side of the headliner.

If you look here picture 13 shows it.

View topic: .How To Replace that Cabriolet Hood . - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Great had a look at the pictures thankyou 👍👍

Back to the top

Find a cabrio owner and watch how it's unfolded stowed.
Little effort and in controlled fashion..
An image of the metal action could help with its geometry and movement.
….
Gently but with correct continuous even movement until upright then pause…
Move towards boot and encourage gently the hinge operatic should begin the fold back down.
( IF NOT DOWN THEN ..LITTLE.. MORE BACKWARD MOVEMENT)
 ONLY gently.
When moving down use very little effort but even on  the back and spread even with steady pair of hands until almost there.*
Once almost in stow position check both sides appear even and use only a little more to form a complete fold.
Now it's ready to check the engagement of the lock.
From one side push down gently, one hand at rear to even pressure until you hear or see latch pop lock same to other side.
To close use latch open one side then t'other side.
From boot spread hands apart and even lift up and up forward slightly.
SLOWLY.
ONCE ALMOST UP CHECK IT'S NOT STRESSED.
then top front should be way up and ready to move to screen.
If it moves front more it's ok as long as you notice it's fluid curve as it begins to settle.
May finish 3" above screen.
Get in and carefully pull little lever down effort here as it's no longer moving forward.
Pull down only with handle hook in ready position …
Latch one side up. Then t.other side.
The more confident you are in being gently and steady the less effort you need.
IF YOU FEEL IT'S A STRUGGLE
STOP .
It may not be ready to move in that direction yet.

Ps I  don't drive on a motorway or long disrance with it down.
Personally I think get there get it down with friends then enjoy sunshine.
Any advice on this please pm me to edit.

Post from a ' HOP X DUB '

What's next?
Mk1 second project cabriolet
MK1 first project cabriolet

Back to the top
new owners should look at www.cabby-info.com
Full of hints and things.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the long reply judging by that mine does not have gas struts fitted as its hard work and just flops down .also thankyou il check the cabbie link ..
Also were can you get the new 3d decals the vw badges golf cabriolet etc thankyou for the warm welcome

Back to the top
I don't agree with this quote…

Ps I  don't drive on a motorway or long disrance with it down.
Personally I think get there get it down with friends then enjoy sunshine.

As long as the covers on it fine, that's the reason we have a cabriolet, get the roof down as often as you can, that is what a cabriolet is all about…. If the roof wears out buy a new one £200 is cheap for a convertible top.

A wind blocker helps a lot so get one then you can drive at motorway speeds with the roof down and not get your head blown off!   :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.