Skip navigation

Anyone fitted a new headlining?

Back to the top
Is it doable DIY?

1983 MK1 Golf four door 1.8T 20V BAM remapped, MK2 dash and loom, TMI interior.  daily.

2014 VW California 5.1 with full Sportline kit, weekend home.

Back to the top
Believe theres one or 2 on here who have done it, forget who.  Was going to do one myself, got it hanging from the rods, pulled it in a few directions and thought no way, sold the car with it unfitted.

Back to the top

It’s not that bad. Look at my project thread as I did last year and wrote about it. Jeroen commercials supplied the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Back to the top

Ok I have a little more time now.

What colour is your lining ?

It is a full glass out job and seals off. I smashed my screen getting the glass out but not a problem for me as I was replacing it anyway.

Suggest cutting the screen seal away and replacing if wanting to keep it unless you are good at that piece.

From start to finish it takes about 8-10 hours.

Do front and back first then sides.

Let me. Know your plans and I shall give what tips I can.

Back to the top
Thanks for the input guys.

The lining is black and from Newton via VW heritage.

I looked at page 23 onwards Malc and found the images and to use tape not glue but couldn't see the info of the procedure used?

I think I'll try (including the missus, she's good with making clothes, curtains etc on the sewing machine and is very patient) what's the worst that can happen lol.

Would i be right in thinking the only special tool i need is to put the screen back in?

1983 MK1 Golf four door 1.8T 20V BAM remapped, MK2 dash and loom, TMI interior.  daily.

Back to the top
The procedure is in line with other suggestions, start at the front and back and then the sides. Mine was also a Newton head lining.

Rather than wads of glue and bull dog clips, my fitter used the Refix tape. It is like double sided tape without the tape. The head lining can be attached and re-attached if the wrong position or needs a little stretch to fit or remove wrinkles.  Small pieces of masking tape were also used.

The only glue we used was a little spray glue to around the bottom of the C pillars.

Once in final position, the internal door seals and internal trim were fitted.

The special tool for the windscreen is required if fitting yourself. However my screen was cracked and was replaced under insurance.

Back to the top
Start what at the front, glue/stick where and what … off to YouTube :lol:

Back to the top

Ok black is easier from a glue perspective. I used spray glue on mine and was fine but a little messy. Should of masked my car of a lot better.

You can use brush on stuff but it can stain lighter colours.

The b pillar piece also covers the rear window sill. I kept mine on but some people might no like it and want to leave it exposed paint.

I dry fitted mine with clips and not too much tension. I then put the front in, followed by the back. Back window seal. Then a pillar trims. Then fitted the screen. Then did the sides. B pillar trims followed by doors seals. Fitted c pillar trims and then rear are glass.

Finally I cut the whole for the aftermarket sun roof. Very scary although there was loads of room.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2F1980-1-6-gti

I did mine outside over a couple of days last Easter and was fine.

Back to the top
Just followed your link, maybe I should ask Newton for a copy of the instructions, there isn't any in the box!

Back to the top

Pete M said

Just followed your link, maybe I should ask Newton for a copy of the instructions, there isn't any in the box!

You will probably find an instruction sheet on line but it will say to the effect, "If you have to ask how to install this, You shouldn't have bought it."

Here are the instructions I got with my first EZ-on top to replace.

All in fun.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks Brian, I sent an email to the store and they said pretty much the same.

I've fitted a MK2 dash and centre console in the car amongst other things so pretty sure I'll be able to manage s headlining.
This is for a tin top not a cabby 

Back to the top
This is the one job I always shy away from. :lol:

Wish it was as easy as a mk2.

Back to the top
I used contact adehsive and started from the back as I wanted to be sure my B and C pillars were right as I has a headlining that included covers for the bottoms of the rear windows and they all had to meet up.

You'll need a friend.

You can put the front screen back in yourself using string but you'll need three people…….

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

I used contact adehsive and started from the back as I wanted to be sure my B and C pillars were right as I has a headlining that included covers for the bottoms of the rear windows and they all had to meet up.

You'll need a friend.

You can put the front screen back in yourself using string but you'll need three people…….

Ian
3 people ???

2 to do the job and one the extract the urine while they do it

Back to the top
I think the secret of googling procedures for fitting a headlining are to search for a "Bow" style Headlining typically used for classic cars.

There are a few YouTube videos, here is an example and is similar to fitting one to a Golf Mk1.

Headliner Installation (Bow Type) - 1968 Mercury Cougar - YouTube

Here the guy is using spraying contact glue all around on the car window and door apertures and on the headlining. You can see that he is attaching and lifting when fitting to get the best position and to remove wrinkles.

Instead of spray I/we used 3m Refix tape which is only stuck to the car (plenty on Ebay including other makes, a little expensive, but cleaner to apply).

The most important thing is the initial positioning of the headlining in the centre across the car and lengthways to make sure that the A, B & C pillars are going to be covered.

Nothing wrong with spray glue but it can get everywhere.

Once fitted you can think about the fitting windscreen.

Back to the top

Backinblack said

borednow said

You'll need a friend.

Ian
3 people ???

2 to do the job and one the extract the urine while they do it

Me in side pulling the string to pop the seal and one on each side to push on the screen to get it to seat properly. Tried two repeatedly and failed about 4 times. First time with 3 of us  :thumbs:  

Cheeky Barstool.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
He made that look easy. :cool:

Back to the top
Malcom,
The sewn in tubes for the rods on my Newton lining go all the way to the edge of it but on the OE I took out the tubes are 100mm short each side to allow the edges to come down and be fixed/sealed.

I can't see how the Newton will work unless I cut the tubes down or cut a hole in them so the rods can exit as per OE.

Was yours like that?

Back to the top
DA543CA1-A0C5-4CB2-BCAD-D9884E82B467.jpeg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.