Skip navigation

02J swap, reversing light issue.

Back to the top
Okay this time s what I have …
Looking from here the double tooth key way is at 9 o'clock and the selector tab is at 6 o'clock.
The other rod is the one the guy who built the gearbox gave me  and is orientated the same.

image.jpg image.jpg

1983 MK1 Golf four door 1.8T 20V BAM remapped, MK2 dash and loom, TMI interior.  daily.

2014 VW California 5.1 with full Sportline kit, weekend home.

Back to the top
how does missing tooth, lumpy detent bit and selecty lug bit positions compare to the piccy of the 02j shaft i posted?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
They are both laying on the table with the selecty tab again the table (sort of rolled over gently until the tab stopped) looks like your one is in the position?
The missing tooth on both is very nearly at the top, pretty much as per yours.
The one on the right will lock up with the black key on the side but the one on the left the hole is going to be in the wrong place.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edit: by Pete M

1983 MK1 Golf four door 1.8T 20V BAM remapped, MK2 dash and loom, TMI interior.  daily.

Back to the top
the one on the left is a mk5 era type, compare yours to the 02j one in the piccy I posted up looking at the red boxes.

to me it looks like the missing tooth on the spline and selecty lug at the bottom are both in the same place for your old 02A rod and the 02J, but the bumpy bit for the detent bolt is in the wrong place to suit the 02j alloy case layout.

would explain how you could drive it ok

Back to the top
I think I've started to understand.
When I drove it the new housing wasn't installed it was this one.
If the selecty tab and missing tooth are correct then the rest of the gear will attach ok, L bracket and bow catches and the box will shift gears, but maybe it has lined up with the smooth bit and not the bumpy bit so the shifting would be sloppy?
The two housings are the same with respect to indent pin.

image.jpg

Back to the top
yeah so if the missing tooth and big selector tab are both the same 02a and 02jbut the detent is in a different spot you will get gears, just the shifting will feel a bit loose/funny.

the detent bolt and lumpy bit is what gives the nice positive click as you go in and out of gear, it serves no other purpose except to push the reverse light switch on the later 02J :)

Back to the top
So if I put rod and housing together, spin it round until the black key locates in the hole, like image and then put it in the box and it fits does that mean it will work?

Back to the top
that wont work I'm afraid, if you line up the bumpy bit to your detent bolt this means the shifter lug at the base and the missing tooth up top will be in the wrong place!

what you need is a late 02j rod

Back to the top
You are completely correct :lol:I've fitted it in the box and connected the catches, I can get a couple of gear okay, 4th and 5th no chance and reverse is a bit weird.

When I removed it after I was really careful and I could just see the bumpy bit and it looked like one of the bumpy bits would have been used shifting through the box and the other gears would be on the smooth bit or hitting the small lumpy bits.

Cheers John, off to try and source a 02J MK4 rod. Later being 2003-2005?

That must be in double figures I owe on the beer front now.

Back to the top
Will this fit?

image.jpg image.jpg

Don't know what the curved slot is all about but the rest lines up!

Back to the top
any part numbers anywhere?

Back to the top
image.jpg

Back to the top
thats for the FBK code v5 gearbox only, though nothing else seems to be specific to that gearbox in the selector tower or linkages so christ knows why the difference is or what the slot is for. so it should be fine yep

Back to the top
Many thanks again John.
I have the mating gearbox piece, well I'm assuming it the correct one, it came with that MK5 one I've got and has the sprung clip to go with the grooved shaft.
Do you think I should use that as well?

Back to the top
If the shaft fits nice and snug into the plain bottom bearing I recon I would use that, for easier removal in future :lol:

Back to the top
IT'S BLOODY WELL SORTED :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:Road tested it round the village and a massive stress just evaporated! It shifts like a race car … I'm Stoked.

My vote for services to mankind goes to John.

Back to the top
good stuff :)

Back to the top
Hi guys quick question regarding the reverse light switch, what did you end up doing with yours, as mine hit the gearbox mount, don't want to do away with reverse lights. 

Back to the top
1. fit early mk1/2 switch with spades, bend terminals to clear
2. modify the cable bracket on gearbox mount. move it back a bit to get clearance
3. delete switch, mount a reed switch under the shift boot instead

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.