Skip navigation

02J swap, reversing light issue.

Back to the top
that pin is just to stop the shaft falling out the bottom, I saw it on a MK5 golf tower I have but didnt think the 02j ones had one on there. So I wonder your bits are off a later mk5 type box...

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
but as long as the bumpy section of the tower is otherwise undamaged it'll be fine with the top bit smashed off. it never goes down low enough to hit it once the unit is assembled and put in the box.

just need to make sure what you have is actually mk4 02j and not later mk5 parts

Back to the top
Cheers John, how can I find out if it okay, can't find any part number on the shaft or the housing.
Would it be possible to just put it in and see if it works?

1983 MK1 Golf four door 1.8T 20V BAM remapped, MK2 dash and loom, TMI interior.  daily.

2014 VW California 5.1 with full Sportline kit, weekend home.

Back to the top
yeah drop it in and see how it all sits, if you can get all your gears then all is well ;)

Back to the top
I've measured the one that was already in the box (on the right) and can't find any difference to the newer one except the bumpy bit!
If it were you would you cut the pin out of the alloy housing and use the older one (which looks in better condition) or stick with the damaged newer one?
I've also got the new parts you guys recommend. 54E414F9-E2A9-422F-8F9F-6E1E4D72E717.jpeg image.jpg

1983 MK1 Golf four door 1.8T 20V BAM remapped, MK2 dash and loom, TMI interior.  daily.

Back to the top
Can't seem to get the top seal out! image.jpg

On top of that the housing only has a bush in it and the new bearing isn't even close.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back to the top
for the shaft pay VERY close attention to the orientation of the bumpy bit, vs the orientation of the missing tooth on the spline. the tower angles up top for the up/down linkage lever are different, so you might find the missing tooth is in a different spot.

for the seal it a right sod, its metal cored so very stiff and takes a fair bit of effort to persuade it to come out. as for the bearing at the bottom you need to remove the outer bush the bearing sits in before the new one will go in. gain a right pain on these, see the link!

I'd be tempted to send it off to hotgolf/gas n gears/martin emment. he can sort it all and put a nice new solid bush in there, no more crappy bearing

Back to the top
I got right pee'd off with it yesterday so took everything to my local Audi stealer, they were really helpful, cross referenced all the parts I had and what year etc, so I've ordered a new housing from a MK4  to go with the shaft that I took out of the gearbox as i know that works.

Back to the top
Just collected MK4 housing so going to attempt to fit everything over the weekend!
Anyone see a glaring mistake ?

[
Not sure what the bolt does?
attachment_safe description="24617D89-FE35-46F9-B837-A5C43EADA528.jpeg" thumb="0" type="inline"]new_1 01FB05AA-3FAF-4CCC-9551-64639AA2C3A4.jpeg B3609F12-C7B8-48EF-96B8-E95F5E0856C2.jpeg

Back to the top
thats the equivalent of the pin which buggered your last rod, stops it all falling out the bottom. if your rod doesnt have the slot for it either cut bolt down flush or swap it for another shorter one

Back to the top
Nice  one John 👍

Back to the top
should have said I THINK thats what it is :lol:

basically if it gets in the way then as above, if not then leave it be :)

Back to the top
Buuutt! I think you need to go back and have a closer look at your rod. The one pictured is the 02a right? If so looks like the bumpy bit is in the wrong place in relation to the selecty tab that pokes out near the bottom….

See these 02J rods:
http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?262990-02A-box-with-02J-tower-dense-shifting

Back to the top
The one in the image is the one I took out and have driven the car with it in so know it's a worker.

As long as the housing and the shaft work/fit together I'm pretty sure we are good to go.

I'll let you know at lunchtime tomorrow :lol:

Back to the top
John, not really sure what you mean by this

"for the shaft pay VERY close attention to the orientation of the bumpy bit, vs the orientation of the missing tooth on the spline. the tower angles up top for the up/down linkage lever are different, so you might find the missing tooth is in a different spot".

But I followed the linky you included and I seem to have the same problem, can't seem to get to the bottom of it, the shift rod is the one I took out, the only things that have changed are the new MK4 ali housing and the TT short shifter.

Moving the short shifter without the bow connectors attached to the right (clockwise) is good from the centre position but from the centre left isn't good! And the black L shaped peg doesn't engaged with anything no matter where I turn the rod to.

Mine is/looks like this

I've now had to stop for the day but do you have any thoughts, 

Back to the top
ok have a look at this piccy of your 02a rod:

compared to an 02J one:

straight away you can see the selector lug on the bottom of it is on the opposite side of the ribbed section up top for the detent bolt

Back to the top
I sort of thought that's what you were referring to.

Where I'm having problems getting my head around it is that's the one I took out, I drove it 20 miles from a friends workshop to home after fitting the 02J 2 weekends ago!

Back to the top
ok, did it click in and out of the gears or was it a bit floppy?

if the missing tooth lines up to the selector lug at the bottom you will be able to get gears ok, but if the bumpy bit doesnt line up with the detent bolt you wont get a nice 'click' in and out of gear if that makes sense

Back to the top
I'll go rip it out of the car now (it's top raining!).

It's difficult to tell really John, when I drove it the selector/gear shift was mounted inside the car and it was pretty buggered so it was really sloppy, I have since returned a newish MK4 selector underneath the car.
By detent bolt do you mean the spring loaded piece with the ball bearing in the end?

Back to the top
exactly that, this is what makes it click in and out of gear :)

There are too many online users to list.