Skip navigation

02J swap, reversing light issue.

Back to the top
My tower that comes out of the gearbox has a black plastic cover over it and I was hoping to put the newer bow catch shifter with a short shifter fitted but looking through images and threads over the weekend it appears that this part is needed and the centre stud isn't going to be long enough!

What am I not seeing?

D12F8B04-4B1E-443F-853B-FFD54A479881.jpeg

2975CAF3-6560-44A1-8124-4E57B2DA2E0F.jpeg

Image result for vw golf mk4 shift tower

1983 MK1 Golf four door 1.8T 20V BAM remapped, MK2 dash and loom, TMI interior.  daily.

2014 VW California 5.1 with full Sportline kit, weekend home.

Back to the top

The plastic capped tower is the 02A tower, the top in pic 3 is an 02J tower (apologies if you knew this already!) What parts do you have at the moment? If it’s just a gearbox with plastic-topped tower your best bet would be to get a complete 02J tower and refurb it, adding the TT short shifter part while you’re at it. I have all the parts listed in my build thread I think.
Hope this helps :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

The tower is just held in by 2 bolts and the 02A and 02J towers are interchangeable….

Build thread here

Back to the top
on that note, the 02j reverse switch often gets in the way of the cable clutch bracket. you can chop and relocate the cable holder or try an early mk1/2 reverse switch with spades on it that just about clears as its a wee bit shorter. unless you dont care about reverse lights then you can just chop the end of the 02j reverse switch off.

you could even hook up a pressure switch inside the car near the gearstick that gets hit when you put it in reverse

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Mike, where did you get the parts for the refurb?
I can see a sleeve and seal on the Audi parts and mage but not the white nylon sleeve for the plate with the two pins in it!

John, defo want reversing lights, I've got the hydro clutch conversion (think it's a CQ's) so hopefully it'll fit. Only want them as people expect to see them, pedestrians and drivers alike.

1983 MK1 Golf four door 1.8T 20V BAM remapped, MK2 dash and loom, TMI interior.  daily.

Back to the top
oh yeah the slave cylinder is right there, dunno how i missed that :lol:

so yes all you have is the 02j alloy shifter housing, you need all the rest of the parts to go with it. the linkages on the side, the TT shift weight to go on top, the selector rod thing that goes inside the tower with the threaded bit on top to attach the weight on etc as all the 02a parts are different

Back to the top

These are the parts I bought for the refurb, but I started with a complete 02J tower. Some were from Audi only, I think some came from VW. You can’t get the TT short shifter part from VW as you might expect….

Build thread here

Back to the top
Sorry about the confusion 🙄 but I have a complete tower.
DA8DD0E9-D564-406E-910D-9CC2499D25FF.jpeg

Mine size the one with the grooves around the shaft, I don't have the collar that is on the shaft close to the housing but everything else.

Back to the top
Guys, do you know if the parts list you posted will fit both models of towers? Mine is the grooved one (I have the bottom mount that fits into the gearbox casing as they're not interchangeable apparently).

Back to the top
yeah it should go if you have the right tower, main thing is look at how the weight fits when the shifter is put in there. if the shifter came from one of the other box variants it might sit funny

Back to the top
Excuse my ignorance but is the weight the piece below the spring?

Back to the top
no its the TT short shifter piece, its a big lump of metal ;)

are there any part numbers visible on the shaft

Back to the top
Oh yeah the hammer looking thing!

Hope, not numbers :(

Back to the top
Does the main shaft press out (read copper mallet!) of the casting?

Back to the top
not sure what you mean exactly? if you mean does the metal cup thing come off the shaft looking at the ones I have they seem to be welded or a real tight press fit. even if you got it off you would probably ruin the smooth machined part what goes thru the bush/seal

Back to the top

The bearing presses out of the alloy top but don’t use a hammer! I used a threaded bar and washers to wind it out

Build thread here

Back to the top

Build thread here

Back to the top
Cheers Gents, I'm talking about the main shaft :$ looking at the images it runs on a needle roller bearing so should just tap out, guessing it's in a bad state if I need to give it a good clout?

Just off to the local VW and Audi dealers with a Post It note full of part numbers … wish me luck :lol:

Back to the top
Struck out, all parts on your list Mike were available from the Audi dealer, not in stock but ready for collection Saturday morning.

Back to the top
That's shafted that then! Nowhere did it say there is a pin in there so it won't knock out, I just thought it was rusted in so gave it a clout. The pin is solid but it should come out so the shaft can be removed?
Heeeeeeelp!
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edit: by Pete M

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.