Skip navigation

Main beam warning lamp

Back to the top

Wire up a replacement.

To wire in an alternative indicator I used a splice on the live wire just before it went in the back of the main beam headlight itself. I ran the wire back and found a hole in the bulkhead which had a grommet in it and bought the wire in there just above the pedals. I attached the wire to a towing repeat lamp that was already on the dash, but out of use. This was already grounded locally.

I will continue diagnostics when I get some spare time!

Back to the top
Do you think the problem could be related to the towing circuit? It will be connected to the lighting circuit which inturn is connected to the main beam circuit?

Is it intact and working or partially removed/bodged with Scotch-locks and spare wires everywhere??

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Excellent John, thanks very much. That's the way I thought of doing it , just wondered if you'd done it differently. Thanks again.

Back to the top
the tow warning circuit is only connected to the indicator relay, so it shouldnt be anything to do with that

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I have the same issue wit hthe tell tale (blue) light, on mine , i think its due to an aftermarket immobiliser and alarm being fitted as the light in the boot also seems to have a extra earth fitted. The radio also does not have a ignition live, both lives are permenent.

Thanks for the information above guys, this will be a summertime job testing it all :)

Luckily my MOT guy loves his classics and hasnt questioned it, at most it would be an advisory.

Alps 1992 Rivage Green, 1991 Rivage Blue (SOLD), 1986 GTI convertible White (SOLD) 

Back to the top
strangely enough the blue light came on once the other day on high beam, hasnt worked again since! any ideas?

Alps 1992 Rivage Green, 1991 Rivage Blue (SOLD), 1986 GTI convertible White (SOLD) 

Back to the top
Flaky Switch but usually Bad connections on the back of the cluster or ground on the cluster (clocks as you call them).

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
thought id update this, the telltail light is now working… by itself ! O_o  

the issue seens to be with the stalk, there must have been some dirt or something in between the contact that has cleared itself!

Back to the top
Just for reference, blue LED's were not invented until 1990's, hence the yellow LED main beam in Mk1's. Later on other VW models used a white LED with a blue cap (replacement VAG number 357919062)

1990 Singlecab 2.1 manual

Back to the top
later cars didnt use a white LED, it was a standard 12v bulb with a blue cap

Back to the top
Hi guys.. I am new here but big thanks for sharing all this great content… 
 Now to the question: 
Mai main beam blue indikator not working. And I tried 2 different cluster units  it seem that I am geting 10.4v from the 2 and 7 pins… is it ok or it should be not les then 12v? 
And is it meens that I will conect the same 2- and 7+  pins on to the cluster itself with a 12v the blue light should come on?

Back to the top
That should be sufficient to light the lamp.  Pin 2 brown is ground, and you may want to add a frame ground to pin2 right behind the cluster.
Pin7 should be blue/white, but it will only light when you flash the hi's.

Make sure your fuses f9 and f10 are good, and you are not reading a feed back from the main lamps.

Last edit: by Briano1234

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
light should be on with the main beam as well, not just when you flash :)

10v should be enough to light the bulb as said, though if its old the bulb may be blackened on the inside which wont help if your voltage is also low.

the main beam indicator is fed from fuse 9. if both main beam lamps are still working it could still be blown and  you have a relay loom taking over the lighting in the engine bay which is fed from the other side or some bodger has tapped a power over from the other lamp to bypass an issue

Back to the top
Thanks guys for your thoughts…. I fixed a lot of different issues with my power…. But the blue light is still not working… i did change the speedo from motometer to vdo because the clock was gone on mine… but the main beam lights blue light was not working on the old one to…  
So will have to check all my connections and wires… but it is still strange that I do get the power to the 7 pin with the high beams on and to different speedometers units is the same… 🥸

Back to the top

Eigelis said

Thanks guys for your thoughts…. I fixed a lot of different issues with my power…. But the blue light is still not working… i did change the speedo from motometer to vdo because the clock was gone on mine… but the main beam lights blue light was not working on the old one to…  
So will have to check all my connections and wires… but it is still strange that I do get the power to the 7 pin with the high beams on and to different speedometers units is the same… 🥸

Have you checked the bulb itself isn't at fault?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I did check them and bought of them is good.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.