Skip navigation

Audi 80 VDO Gauge Installation on MK1 Golf GTi

Back to the top

When you say the mfa you mean the sender on the oil cooler? If that is the one making the light come on then you have a problem with that sender I reckon. The oil pressure sender on the oil cooler also does the light and not the mfa but it’s a higher pressure. Is there any possibility that you mixed it with the sender you took out of the head when you fitted the sender in there as they are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Here’s some pics of my senders. My gauges aren’t fitted at the moment because I’ve got the carpet up but if you need any more info or pics then let me know.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Hi Saulty,

If I disconnect the wire from the sender on side of engine block, then the MFA flashing oil light turns off.

The temp sensor is exactly the same one I purchased from eBay. Also coincidence it is the same seller.

However the oil pressure sender (twin pole) which goes on the side of the engine block is an Intermotor (P/N: 53903). According to the manufacturer website it is alternative to VAG 035919561 with a rating of 0.3 bar & 5 bar. I bought on eBay for around £25 brand new.

I have a suspicion that the oil pressure gauge is faulty or incompatible. I have raised a case with the seller anyway.

The VW hertitage one you are referring to may be the way I guess.

Cheers

Back to the top
Sorry I forgot to mention, the sender on the oil cooler is the original VW sender with a rating of 1.8 bar.

The one I took out on side of engine was  the 0.15 bar to 0.45 (P/N: 056919081C)

Back to the top
Can you advise where you got you positive and negative connections from for the gauges?

I got the negative from the ground point on right side of fuse box and the positive from the fuse box which switches on/off with the ignition.

I'm thinking of trying again but taking direct connection from the battery just to test to see if it makes a difference.

Back to the top

It’s like history repeating itself! I got my original sender from eBay and had to send it back because the oil light stayed on and the alarm would sound once the revs went over 2k but the oil pressure gauge read ok.
I fed my gauges from the same place as you. It sounds as though your sender is working the opposite way to what it should do!

Back to the top
P_20171119_131239.jpg P_20171119_131230.jpg P_20171119_131205.jpg

Hi Saulty,
The pics show what I get. Red light keeps flashing. When cold oil pressure is almost zero and when engine is warm, it shoots past 5 bar.

Back to the top
Hi Saulty,
Can you confirm where you purchased the sender unit from? Was it VW Hertitage?
Thanks

Back to the top
I purchased mine from VW Heritage in the end. Here's a copy of the item on the email of the order.

V360006 Oil pressure sender, 80psi gauge, 6-9psi switch, 2 pin
 00001 @ £00042.02 GBP

I've not had any trouble with it in the 18 months it's been fitted.

Back to the top
Don't get the one I posted a link to yesterday, it's a 10 bar sender, you need a 5 bar (80 psi).

https://www.vwheritage.com/v360006-oil-pressure-sender-80psi-gauge-6-9psi-switch-2-pin

They've gone up quite a bit since I bought mine. VWH seem to have got expensive lately, you might be able to get one a bit cheaper but I think you get what you pay for!

Back to the top
I found that my oil pressure when cold exceeds 5bar at idle so I get a full scale defection with a 5 bar gauge. So I have fitted an equivalent 10 bar gauge with the appropriate pressure sensor fitted near the oil filter.

When warm, I run at 6 bar at speed which drops down to 3 bar at idle.

With oil temperature, I have fitted the temperate sensor in the engine sump drain plug using an adapter. I have a 150 degC gauge fitted with the 150 degC temperature sensor.

It takes some time for the oil in the sump to heat up. On a long journey it runs at about 80 degC which is similar to modern non GTI engines that I have which seem to be fixed at 90 deg C when warm.

Doing it this way negates any impact on existing Instrument and MFA indications.

Back to the top
can you check you have the wires on the right way, WK is for the pressure switch and G for the gauge. If the sender is equivalent to that part number then it should work perfectly, if not then it is faulty and you should send it back.

if you earth the oil pressure gauge wire it should sit at 0, if you disconnect it should go to max as you have seen. with the oil pressure warning switch, if you disconnect it the light should never come on, if you earth it the light should flash

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Just a quick update. Managed to return the eBay items which did not work and got a refund.

I purchased the senders from VW Heritage (more expensive but should be the right ones).

While tidying up the wiring, found the heater matrix leaking so ordered that as well to the Christmas Gift list for myself.

Part Numbers ordered:

VDO OIL PRESSURE SENDER 80PSI 2 PIN
WITH WARNING LIGHT M10 X 1 (SKU V360006)
£59.70

OIL TEMPERATURE SENDER INC SEAL,
WHITE 1 PIN (SKU 049919563A)
£6.70

HEATER MATRIX (SKU 171819031)
£21.50

Will post an update once installed and tested.

Back to the top
Success :)

The sender unit from VW Hertitage worked a treat. All gauges are working sweet.

Conclusion is that don't buy cheap ones from eBay. If you want good senders, buy from VW Hertitage even thou its expensive, it's worth it.

Back to the top
Glad you got it sorted.  I did the same as you and bought cheap rubbish and ended up sending it back.

Back to the top
Fitted super bright green LEDs to match the dash :) P_20171216_192533_HDR.jpg

Back to the top
That looks good. What colour were they before? Mine are red and I want to change them to green but I'm not sure if I can.

Back to the top
Hi Saulty,
They were dull yellowish colour.
Easy to fit, just need a soldering iron, electric tape and 3 super bright LEDs (5mm) from eBay. Make sure that the LEDs are supplied with the resistors which make them compatible to 12volts.
You pull out the old bulbs and can use the existing holders to feed the led through and then solder the resistor and wires. Or you can just buy prewired LEDs with resistors fitted and put them into the hole at the back of the vdo and tape it. All the LEDs you need to solder in series which connect to the interior dash lights.
I had white LEDs but they didn't look nice so switched to green to match the dash. The LEDs are extremely cheap, just a couple of quid.
If yours is red then it probably due to the red plastic filter inside the vdo gauges. Mine were already removed and it's a risk trying to take it apart. I see from forums that some people pry the ring off it or cut the vdo casing and then super glue back but it won't be perfect unfortunately.
I have never opened so do not know what is involved. You can have a look, but don't take risks otherwise you can damage the gauges.
I also did an LED upgrade of all the interior lights, took ages, but you notice the difference immediately :)

Back to the top
Sorry, I know this is old and I know it's been done to death but I need help 🙈can anyone tell me if this would be suitable for a GTI with MFA to install the Audi vdo guages? It looks ok from the information I've found but I'm confused by the 0.25 bar 🤔 any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks 🙂

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/accessories/gauges-and-senders/vdo-sender-oil-pressure-5bar-0-25bar-m10x1.html
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.