Skip navigation

Mk1 campaign (Pirelli edition) full resto

Back to the top
So it's been a while but "good news" the paint is now finished and being polished so from next week I will start to tentatively rebuild it all.

I'll get some pictures on Friday when I go to the body shop but I do have a plea for help…..

I need someone who is electrically minded to install the wiring look for me as I totally have no clue how to fit it….

I'm going to post it in the help forum but if anyone can help, PM me. I live in Harlington in Bedfordshire.

Back to the top
Few pictures of the paint all done….

9035EEF6-4E1F-49DB-8C25-817630DB2878.jpeg 80EC1348-6AEB-4FDC-B63C-F8FAB9730A09.jpeg 8E6F9B30-3CA8-4803-BEE2-255E454C0470.jpeg BB3531BF-FA8F-4777-BEF5-EA137D97B8DD.jpeg

Back to the top
Nice work.. mine will get like that one day..hopefully  ;)  ;)

Back to the top
I can dream of that day  in many years
Goog work  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Thanks guys, its taken 18 months so far but now hoping to get the rebuild moving.

Will keep the updates coming…

Back to the top
Nice.

You must be a happy chappy now  :cool:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I certainly am. 

Just getting the beam powder coated and the chap is going to refit it for me so the shell can roll. 

Then onto the wiring and then get the glass back in and then get the engine and box back in.

And then….. maybe get to drive it one day 😂

Back to the top
A couple of pictures as the car is finally back in my garage after being at the bodyshop for quite some time. 

Thanks again to paul at PM customs who did all the work locally for me. 

https://www.pmcustoms.co.uk

Back to the top
A5079674-203C-4AE4-879E-51088FFF60E5.jpeg 2F8BF06B-BAC2-47B3-9A5B-C8C219869172.jpeg

Back to the top
It's hard to beat a fresh coat of Mars Red.
 :)
Looking forward to seeing the rebuild.

Back to the top
So after many months sat in the garage after being sprayed last year I'm now getting on with the rebuild.

I'm going to try and keep as many things originally from the car but with a refurb so this week I'm dropping off the steering rack to be stripped and rebuilt, old suspension taken apart to get the hubs powder coated and the servo rebuilt. 

I'll get some pictures as we go over the coming months. 

Back to the top
Loving the work!
Good to see another Mars Red beauty!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Looking very nice in new paint :thumbs:

Personally i would put it back as original, as mentioned previously it's a limited car even in Germany so an original Pirelli edition on these shores in RHD is a rare thing for sure

I used to own a copper bronze metallic Mk1 gti rhd personal import  

I have only ever seen 2 in that colour ever!

Originality wins hands down, people who know will see straight away what version it is and those that don't can get an education on it  :lol:

Back to the top
So while trying to landscape the garden and fitting in time around my 2 year old I've had some progress:

Refurbished servo fitted, thanks to Deano777 for that.

Refurbished steering rack which was done at Kiley Clinton in Birmingham.

Front suspension all fitted

Rear beam currently at the blasters this week

Plan is to get the tank and filler fitted this week along with rebuilding the heater matrix.

I'll get some pictures on this week.

Back to the top
It's all gone quiet on this but I have had progress…..  

I've had the rear beam stripped and powder coated along with the front wishbones and these have all been refitted. 

Servo has been refurbished and refitted along with the steering rack which I sent to kiley Clinton in Birmingham who did an amazing job for about £100

https://www.kileyclinton.com/

I've been putting back odds and sods whilst it's been in the damp garage but now I've packed it off to have the engine fitted and fuel and electrics all sorted as I'm not competent at doing that, plus we've just had a second child…. I bought the car when we had NO KIDS 🙈

The car has gone off to Chapman's autos in St. Albans who's got some great golf's himself and a great Mk1. 

http://www.mchapman-autos.co.uk/ 4AFFF8C6-DBBB-4B6C-9340-D8892E097C0E.jpeg

Few pics of what's been going on…  87ADF29D-3B28-45A2-80B2-057D728A966E.jpeg 804DC164-1BE2-45C7-8550-1EEBD61287C2.jpeg

Back to the top
6AD7846D-7E37-47A2-A80E-84019B1DE79A.jpeg Now it's not an update on the car but I've completely renovated the garage with a new roof, masonry painted walls and I've painted the floor with an epoxy resin based paint. 

My wife doesn't understand why I've done it but I'm sure most of you can…  64CE7AFC-1503-464A-8C48-A4D4A85C05B2.jpeg 6DDE4BC4-FFE8-47A9-9D5E-12CDEB839308.jpeg DBEBEF1F-9B91-4A8B-9592-EC9CA3FFE2BF.jpeg B7F2E3F6-417A-4A94-9968-5678BF77CFC9.jpeg

Back to the top
Slowest rebuild going but I had to share how happy I am with my p slots that been been restored. Amazing job done by adam at Rimtec in Milton Keynes. 

Even got the P's painted black nicely. 

Back to the top
Slowest rebuild going but I had to share how happy I am with my p slots that been been restored. Amazing job done by adam at Rimtec in Milton Keynes.  Even got the P's painted black nicely 5F63B868-3C52-457B-8BF6-04F03C6D9414.jpeg

Back to the top
Well done. You are doing well and it is always great to make progress. Like you I found out kids are not conducive with restoring a mk1. I bought a mk1 11 years ago but I stupidly got married 9 years ago and had 3 kids in 6 years!  I am starting to get time and make progress now!

Back to the top
Hi, I looking to get a set of P slots done, if you don't mind me asking how much did refurbishment cost?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.