Skip navigation

How to wire headlight warning buzzer

Back to the top

borednow said

I tried it in mine again. And used some light so I could see what I was doing. Oh yeah and I also put it in the right the relay space (cough, cough  :ninja:  ) and it all works.

Yay for me   :thumbs:   Naaa, na, na naaaa, na! to golf Cabrio   :P

borednow

Ian,
You can really go off people sometimes! 😉 😂👌

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

borednow said

I tried it in mine again. And used some light so I could see what I was doing. Oh yeah and I also put it in the right the relay space (cough, cough  :ninja:  ) and it all works.

Everyone suffers from Crainialrectumitist at one time or another.  :wub:

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

borednow said

You do like that word don't you! 🤔 😉

VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum "Crainialrectumitist"  😂 👍🏼

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

borednow said

I tried it in mine again. And used some light so I could see what I was doing. Oh yeah and I also put it in the right the relay space (cough, cough  :ninja: ) and it all works.

Yay for me   :thumbs:  Naaa, na, na naaaa, na! to golf Cabrio   :P
Whats that old quote? I tried to see things from his point of view but I couldn't get head that far up my own donkey!

Or some other beast of burden probably.

:thumbs:

Golf Cabrio said

borednow said

I tried it in mine again. And used some light so I could see what I was doing. Oh yeah and I also put it in the right the relay space (cough, cough  :ninja: ) and it all works.

Yay for me   :thumbs:  Naaa, na, na naaaa, na! to golf Cabrio   :P
borednow

Ian,
You can really go off people sometimes! 😉 😂👌

Yeah, I get that a lot actually.  :(Dunno why  :lol:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
O.k. so my 292 buzzer arrived this morning so i headed off to the garage to fit it.
Located #7 space, pushed it in, flicked the lights on and no buzzing. 😞 Any ideas anyone and is there a way to test the relay??
Thanks.

1990 Golf GTI cabrio 1.8i.  DX Engine

Back to the top
Try leaving the fan blower in position 1, 2 or 3.
For some reason my works when the fan is left on even though their ignition is off and it's not powered?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Lol. Thats really strange but if it works ill give it a go. Would like to know how to test the relay though so i can send it back if its kaput..

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Try leaving the fan blower in position 1, 2 or 3.
For some reason my works when the fan is left on even though their ignition is off and it's not powered?

WHAT! 😨

Good grief whatever next? 🤔
Standing with one leg in a bucket of iced water (trousers rolled up above the knees)  while singing the song from Manfredman Earth Band "Blinded by the light" and shoving the remote fob in your right ear hole with the lock button depressed!🤔

So it seems that there is just no common denominator for those of us who can't get it to work.

My fuse box for example has never been messed with, neither has the electrics come to that which can only mean I've bought 3 dead ones from different suppliers.

Which suggests I've got about as much luck as Vettel from Ferrari at the moment! 😂 🇬🇧 👍🏼

Sent from my Smartphone 📱

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
😂😂😂 oh well, at least I'm not on my own here then.
Loving the Vettel reference as well.

Back to the top
maybe I can help a little…

'Front fog light' relay slot 7 is wired like so:
1 - earth
2 - X-live (live ignition on, but not cranking)
3 - B/20 - fog switch power on cars with front fogs, nothing on cars without front fogs
4 - A/24 - number plate light feed from light switch

from what I can make out squinting at pics on google images, the relay maps like this: (socket 7 pin, relay pin, original function)
1 - 58 - left sidelights
2 - 85 - earth
3 - 86 - pin S on ignition switch, key-in-ignition live
4 - R - right sidelights

The problem is probably pin 2, it needs earth not ignition live. without a proper layout of the relay internals its hard to know. For those that have it working, can you check pin B/20? On cars without fogs it should just be a grey/yellow wire with an empty spade socket

on the donor wiring pin 85 is earthed to your door pin, and 86 is live with key inserted. From factory the relay only sounds if:
1. lights are on
2. door is open
3. key is NOT inserted

the 36 mk3 gofl relay is wired the same way as above, but much easier to find in the scrapyards. but also more annoying, just lets out a constant bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

though I guess the point is that its annoying :P

Last edit: by rubjonny

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Sorry to bring this one up again but was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of your buzzer working without the fan blower being on? ( mark1gls )
Have had my buzzer fitted for a couple of months and getting out of the car the other day and it decided to chirp up.
I remembered what you had said about the blower being on so switched it to the off position and silence.
Had a small chuckle to myself and at least i now know the buzzer works. Very strange!!!

Back to the top
The door Check buttons can be a bother.
They get tarnished and don't work, they depend on a single screw to be the frame ground, and the itty bitty wires can pull off when you least expect it. So carefully remove it and clean the Tarnish off the contacts….re-crimp the wires tighter.  When removing the switch hold on to the wires as they can go missing and end up in the void of the "A" pillar and are a royal pain to find and fish out.  (I use Forceps or Hemostats to hold the wires in check.).

"See How they Run…" really really tight fit

On my Cabby there are 2 wires on the drivers door one goes to the courtesy lamp and the other to the window controller…

On One of my first Cabbies, of I had the courtesy lamp in the OFF position the frigging windows wouldn't roll down… So you might want to check the position of your courtesy lamp switch.

Hints tips and tricks.
90's with electric windows if you cut the Brown/White wire to the controller and heat shrink the bitter ends, you can roll your windows up or down for about 15 minutes with the Key out door open,  which is nice to do as I usually had to remember to roll the windows back up as I was getting out..fumble with the keys in my pocket….ignition…

Sounds as if your "X" circuit has issues….if you have to leave your heater on….

I don't have this need on my Cabbies as a few years ago after the 4th or 5th "Dad, I left the lights on and the car won't start." phone call,

I removed the Console/Parking lamps off the Headlight switch and wired them in to the blower motor … So ignition off, all my lights are out. no buzzer nada…  Only thing is that the Console Gauge lights are always on with ignition live.  But those are easy to change, and better than a Phone call in the middle of the night.

Caveat, I have relayed my Headlights so minimal current is on the head light switch.
How I dod it.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7130550-Head-Light-Marker-lights-off-with-Key-out-fix&highlight=Lights+off+key+out

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
brian I still dont know whats different with the US modules, for the euro ones all we need to do is open the door and the 1 touch system will work regardless...

Back to the top

rubjonny said

brian I still dont know whats different with the US modules, for the euro ones all we need to do is open the door and the 1 touch system will work regardless…
I don't know either, but what I do know is that Bosch was running a close second to "Lord Lucas Price of Darkness".  having grown up on British Leyland, and at all times the Wires protected the 2 fuses from blowing.

I never did figure out on my AH Bug-eye, Midget, or Rover how Lucas could pack so much smoke in to those wires…..

Besides I am too cost effective "read CHEAP".  Gimme a Schematic, wire snips, tape, Soldering Iron, and I will bypass or re-wire it.   :)I did my first lamps off with key out when I was poor, and my 81 headlight switch went out…rewired the Chip in the Pull Switch.
I re-wired my Switch on my cabbies years before I found this thread… :)

There is always more ways to skin a canary, just depends on how much meat you want left on the bone.  

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I'm sure you must have bought a lot of this :lol:

Back to the top

rubjonny said

I'm sure you must have bought a lot of this :lol:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi all - just bringing this thread back to life. Just fitted my "new" 292 into slot 7 and nada. I have a 91 cabby 1.8 RHD and as far as I can tell, the fuse box is original and fine (everything else works ... for now). Was there an easy solution to this that I missed in the above threads? Thanks!

'91 VW Clipper Cabby, 5 speed, 1.8 (Weber with manual choke). I have no idea what I'm doing, so please show mercy.

2857C4E6-41B8-46FE-84E5-8275A978BAFA.jpegw300 790E3798-CF8E-4797-8FF6-DDA39B680915.jpeg

Back to the top
Did you check the picture of my fuse box on page 1 to check it looks the same as mine?

Try putting the fan blower switch to position 1,2 or 3 and see if that makes a sound…?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks do much, as always! I'll give it a go! Hopefully I haven't drained my battery with my tomfoolery!

'91 VW Clipper Cabby, 5 speed, 1.8 (Weber with manual choke). I have no idea what I'm doing, so please show mercy.

2857C4E6-41B8-46FE-84E5-8275A978BAFA.jpegw300 790E3798-CF8E-4797-8FF6-DDA39B680915.jpeg

Back to the top
ok after thinking a little more, with pin 2 of the relay socket needing earth to work the lights on relay properly.

anyone who has the relay working and not working, check the headlight switch bulb. I suspect that those that have it working, have a working headlight switch bulb. those that dont, dont. the bulb if working would provide a path to earth, you might even see it glow dim while the ignition is off…

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.