Skip navigation

My mk1 1600 gti returning to standard ish

Back to the top
Thought I'd introduce my golf 1600gti I've been returning her to standard from the Euro look, nothing wrong with the Euro look I just fancied this one standard and was a really good base, having had an engine overhaul, and having been welded and resprayed, so all the hard work done
It's had a g60 front and rear brake conversion, and is running on twin 40s
She had no bumpers or Interior when I got her, so have been gradually collecting bits and putting them on, I'm not worried about mechanically going standard but the exterior and interior I want to be, so have a few bits I have taken off that I will probably sell, and a few bits I still want like a front passenger backrest foam and the cloth that goes on the bolster ( basically to save the drivers seat ) 
There is a huge straight through exhaust that if I'm honest is too loud for me so I'll be going standard there ( boring old man 😁) 

I had a set of terranchelar alloys refurbed, which is a look I like on the car
There are a few pics of how the car currently loos and how it came to me, will be moting in the next week or two hopefully, just gotta get rid of the lotus first
IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0166.PNG IMG_0568.PNG IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0653.JPG IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0986.JPG IMG_0988.JPG

Back to the top
Oh the golf hanging in the air was pretty much my inspiration for going standard, also the golf in beaulie did the same 

Back to the top
I retrimmed the seats, they were originally grey stripes, I got the red stripe from vw heritage, but to finish properly I need a backrest sponge bit and the cloth that goes over the bolster for this, as the vw heritage cloth isnt really a great match as it looks too new, I guess it would be ok if you were doing a full change but I wanted to save as much of the original as possible 

Back to the top
The car looks great.

I have a GTI in the same colour. No where near being finished though  :(

Back to the top
The tarantula wheels look great… the added bumpers probably help in that regard as well.   :thumbs:  
Keep fighting the good fight.

Back to the top
Very nice mate.

Nice work so far

Welcome to the club btw ;-)

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thank you, managed to give it a quick wax yesterday  IMG_0987.JPG

Back to the top
Agree about the tarantulas, looks great on them  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Oh if anyone has one for sale I'm looking for a passenger seat that has decent bolsters and rear foam,, colour of the centre isn't important as it's going to be cannibalised for my seats 😁

Back to the top
I have the back rest part of a passenger seat in pretty decent order, if you're interested (ie. not the base)

Back to the top
Perfect that's just the bit I'm after basically the foam part and the material that covers the inside edge bolster to make my drivers side good 😁

Back to the top
Pretty good! ;)

Back to the top
Chris5360

I'll get some pics for you tonight and post them tomorrow, to make sure you're happy with it
I'm not really sure what it's worth but happy to take an offer once you've seen the pic.

Back to the top
Cool cheers 

Back to the top
I'm going back to really enjoying the pristine standard look too. Mine's going that way although the engine's a Weber throttle bodied 16v and think that's just too much effort to swap back for now. Oh, and alloys are Tarantulas as in the spider.

Marc

Back to the top
😁 my bad spelling on the spiders, I think the same with the engine, to put back to injection instead of carbs is a lot of effort, and would be using old bits off other cars, at least the carbs are less a hassle and reliability should be good as there new 

Back to the top
That's OK. My refurb'ed Tarantulas are living in the hallway at the moment and I'm picking up bits as I see them like steeering wheel, radio…  Swapping the engine can be stage 2 or 3 or 4…

Ideally I'd like it back to 100% orginal, although I'm not sure I'd give up the K&W's.

Marc

Back to the top
😁 my bad spelling on the spiders, I think the same with the engine, to put back to injection instead of carbs is a lot of effort, and would be using old bits off other cars, at least the carbs are less a hassle and reliability should be good as there new 

Back to the top
It's always worth getting bits when you see them, it's easy to think another one will be along and then it doesn't turn up, happened on my 69 lotus elan, I needed a door lock mech saw one on eBay and thought I'll wait till I'm ready for it only to find out they're rare as hens teeth and it almost stopped the project 

Back to the top

Chris5360 said

It's always worth getting bits when you see them, it's easy to think another one will be along and then it doesn't turn up, happened on my 69 lotus elan, I needed a door lock mech saw one on eBay and thought I'll wait till I'm ready for it only to find out they're rare as hens teeth and it almost stopped the project 

Plus prices for everything just keep on going up.

Marc
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.