Skip navigation

VDO gauge help!

Back to the top
you want #1 or 2, translates to 'earths to the block' then the 2nd one has warning switch in to replace one of the original oil switches.

though you'll want to confirm what pressure rating the oil switch has as it may not be compatible with mk1 clocks

you may find your mk1 only has the one oil switch at the moment if so and it doesnt match the original you can get #1

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
just had a look, you need this one:
360-081-030-001C W/C 0.25bar M10x1 (+£12.66)

then it'll replace the original oil switch in the side of the head with yellow wire if it has one

Back to the top
Ok so ive got this sender now and fiited it. The older sender had a blue wire on it. There was also a red/yellow wire fitted just below 7260B8FF-FD75-4493-9B90-9CB4232ED89F.jpeg
I disconnect both, removed the old sender and fitted the new.

First question: the thread on the new sender is a little longer than the old. Should i tighten it all the way in? Ive left it out a couple of mm but guess this could cause an oil leak?
E579657F-5DAD-4846-AA74-62C09A32421B.jpeg

Second:  Id run a new blue/white wire from the guage to the G and attached the old red/yellow wire to the WK.
9E49BFE3-EE17-4091-B761-39303DE333AF.jpeg

I wired it up temporarily the guage and turn on ignition (not turnover). Oil temp guage immediately goes to max and warning light is flashing. Guessing i got some wiring wrong? I also use the same earth wire for both the guage illumination and sender - is that ok?

Third, what do i do with the old blue wire that was connected to the old sender? Guessing its unused now?

(As a reminder its a non MFA 1600 tintop)

‘81 Golf GTi Mk1 TSR1600 tintop
'90s Chesil Speedster on '70 VW Beetle Chassis
‘14 Golf GTi Mk7

Back to the top
Right, think i've answered 2 and 3 myself! The old blue sender wire needs to go to the new sender. The old red/yellow wire needed to back where it was - on the oil temp switch im guessing…?
Also re point 1 on the length of thread, i read on another post just to screw it in as far as it comfortably goes - which i've done. Theres a couple of mm showing on the thread but no oil leaks and i hope if it protrudes imside the case by a mm or two more it wont do any internal damage..?
Im getting 3bar at 1000rpm tickover and about 4 bar at 2500rpm. I believe thats at the low end but acceptable?

‘81 Golf GTi Mk1 TSR1600 tintop
'90s Chesil Speedster on '70 VW Beetle Chassis
‘14 Golf GTi Mk7

Back to the top
red/yellow is dash temp sensor, it should be to the small black sensor in the front or side flange.

as long as the new oil switch doesnt bottom out you're ok, you can also use a probe to measure the depth of the hole you're going into

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.