Skip navigation

Sally Cinnamon

Back to the top

1982 1.6 Gti Silver - Resto project

Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread that shows something similar for the rear? Id like to build a frame (with wheels) rather than have the car on jacks - was thinking of using the rear bumper mounting points? Unless theres a better option someone can suggest….. Thanks  :thumbs:

Back to the top
random pic but took me a while to get this far so thought I'd share:
IMG_8908.JPG

Back to the top
IMG_8851.JPG

Back to the top
Good day had yesterday at the classic car show. Met the legend that is Fuzz Townsend, seems like a really decent chap… IMG_9341.JPG

Back to the top
Sally is now fully stripped. broke out my welder (first time ever so was a bit nervous, but turned out alright) and fabricated a frame for the rear. Then unbolted the rear running gear, which as well documented comes out satisfyingly in one assembly. IMG_9336.JPG IMG_9338.JPG IMG_9403.JPG IMG_9409.JPG IMG_9412.JPG

Back to the top
Any updates on this!?

Back to the top
Slow progress over past couple months mate, getting back into it now.

Engine fully stripped now, refurbing various bits box by box.

will get some photos up at some point

Back to the top
Been a while since my last post but progress has been slow and steady - life got in the way for a while but the shell is now nearing readiness for paint (after alot of bodywork), block and head all cleaned up, checked for damage (all good - had them checked by SRS Engineering Sutton, Surrey) and almost ready for rebuild and paint.

One last hurdle before I can crack on with the rebuild - and I know this has been asked many times but Im yet to find an answer - i've rounded my injector inserts whilst trying to unscrew them and not sure how to get them out….

I almost broke out the Dremel tonight but its been a stressful day at work and if I have to resort to that I want to be clear-headed to avoid damaging the head threads…

Any advice anyone? Much appreciated if so!

Back to the top
ps will get some photos up soon to catch up on progress  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Finished yet?  :lol:  :lol:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Ian

borednow said

Ian

Ha, if you mean the injector inserts then yeah! Not sure the overall project is quite ready for an MOT yet!  :$

Back to the top
I've been maintaining a spreadsheet of all the various parts I buy for the restoration, this is a list of the body panels purchased to date - and since installed/cut up to make repair panels.

On top of that I've gone through a sheet or so of plate, making up various repair patches for small holes.

:o

Attachment
Body panels.docx

Back to the top
Currently trying to get all my photos in order so I can post a few (5000+ so far, probably wont post them all!) - I've been updating my Instagram page with a few of them, this one is a particular favourite.

Plenty more on instagram for anyone im not connected with already, @baggins_gti

Image.jpeg

Back to the top
All metalwork has been given the same treatment, as follows:

Back to bare metal using a wire wheel on my trusty DeWalt grinders (ive got a battery powered one for the tricky areas, and an electric one for larger panels - the second is a beast and i literally have the scars to prove it)

POR15 degreaser (have tried a couple, this seems to work the best)

POR15 Metal Prep

Raptor Epoxy Primer

Intent of this whole exercise is to find any rust, and then protect the bare metal until it goes into the paint shop. As I want a guarantee with the paint job, they may well end up sanding back alot of the primer I've applied so that they can be sure what they're starting with - although I do have 000's of photos!

Speaking of which:

Back to the top
Image (9).jpeg

Image (10).jpeg

Back to the top

IMG_4190.JPG

thumbnail_Image (2).jpg

Back to the top
Image (1).jpeg
Image (2).jpeg

Back to the top
Image (4).jpeg
Image (5).jpeg

Back to the top
thumbnail_Image (1).jpg

Image (6).jpeg

Back to the top
Image (3).jpeg
Image (7).jpeg
thumbnail_Image.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.