Skip navigation

My first Golf - 82' gti Black

Back to the top

Bought my first golf and going to keep track of what I'm doing on this :)

Few more bits bolted up today.
just waiting on a big delivery arriving then should be able to get a few more bits done.

Im planning on doing a bit of painting next week ill be painting my radiator fan shield, driveshafts, steering rack, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold and the gearbox
Im ordering some 2k stain black for some of the part and will be using the same pint i used on the head and other aluminium parts that I have already painted, Will post updates next weekend

Last edit: by MarkkGardner

Back to the top
Awesome work again, just wondering though if you'll need to take some bits off again to get timing belt covers fitted (e.g. water pump pulley)? 

Back to the top

Pistol said

Awesome work again, just wondering though if you'll need to take some bits off again to get timing belt covers fitted (e.g. water pump pulley)? 

Pistol said

I'm not too sure yet I might have to ill figure that out when my crankshaft pulley arrives thats the main thing thats holding me back just now

Back to the top
Looks amazing! great work, BUT…. No Mars Red strip in the alternator? (call me picky!) :lol:

Back to the top

tnotty said

Looks amazing! great work, BUT…. No Mars Red strip in the alternator? (call me picky!) :lol:

The alternator is staying as is just now so youll just have to live with it  :lol: might get a Colour change later down the road you'll just have to keep your eyes peeled  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Haha! Mines exactly the same. Ended up swapping it at at the last minute so never got around to painting it. On the to do list along with loads of other stuff. 

Yours really does look top class! 

Back to the top
Progression has been slow this past 3 weeks still not been able to do the blasting and painting yet.

I did get a few wee jobs done over the past couple of weekends Starting with painting the front bumper support a few weeks back when the weather was better. the metal was pretty heavily rusted so I wire wheeled it back and put some Por15 metal prep on it for about a hour to give it the best chance it has to convert the rust then applied some Por15 rust preventive paint followed by 2 thick coats of hammerite smooth black.

I also dyed some of the plastics under the bonet back to black as they were all faded. I used a product from Würth. It seemed to turn out pretty good hope the finish lasts but only time will tell.

This weekend I got the front suspention all bolted up and put on some new disks. I got new bearing for the hubs and got the inner hubs zinc-nickel plated as well. All my stuff that needing painted is currently all stripped and masked up ready for blasting ill hopefully get round to that tonight or hopefully tomorrow if all goes to plan.

I cant recall if i mentioned that i ended up damaging my crank timing gear when removing it as I chipped the backing plate. I have been on the hunt for one for the past 2 month and I threw in the towel and decided my only option was to get it repaired. I got the part of the backing plate that chipped of welded and I sent it for plating but when it was at the platers one popped up on German ebay so i have bought that and I'm just waiting on that arriving then will be able to get all the belts on.

Although the repair is will make it safe to use I would much prefer one that has not been damaged seeing as i can now get one.

Back to the top
Got the various parts blasted and in primer, never managed to get the gear box in primer but i don't have to worry about that rusting so will get that painted tomorrow. Im going to go for black satin paint for these parts apart from the downwpipe, exhaust manifold and gearbox as they will be going silver.

My other crank gear came today so should be able to get a fair amount of work done to it over the weekend if everything goes to plan. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Going to set next weekend for the engine going back in! fingers crossed everything goes smoothly and i dont end up scratching the freshly painted engine bay O_o

rebuilt the airbox yesterday looks good with the zinc hardware and freshly dyed black plastics

Back to the top
Thats the timing all set up at the belt side. I'm away to put the clutch and flywheel on tomorrow then will have to wait for my paint to come to give my gear box another coat and also paint the inlet manifold too. all is on track for the engine going in on saturday, exciting times!

Back to the top

Back to the top
Big milestone today got the engine in and all bolted up with out any headaches 2 wee scratches on the paint but that's always going to happen…

also got the brake servo and bar built up today used new zinc bolts on them to give it a cleaner look, 1 linkage gave me a bother and couldn't get the pin in bit after a few wiggles I got it it….. Just.

I also got the steering rack put back together with new boots and track rod ends. I also went down the route of getting poly bushes as Its meant to make a big difference on the steering feel.

Now on to the engine.

I started with giving the gear box another coat of the same paint i have used through out my engine bay so everything matches really impressed with how this turned out.
New clutch kit installed before the gearbox was attached.

Then it was a case of torquing up all the gearbox bolts and going back over the engine to make sure everything was torqued up. Next the engine mounts went on… or so I thought until I realized that the engine mount on the timing belt side get bolted up underneath the timing belt covers… Doh :lol:  

So off that came and then all the engine mounts were attached and ready for the big install. I decided to wrap the engine in foam to minimize the chances of scratching the paintwork, it seemed to do the trick although theres 2 wee scratched that was caused bu the engine mounts but will get these touched up.

I think the next task is to do the brake pipes then the wiring, That will be next weekends task.

Back to the top

My first Golf - 82' gti Black

I've got to say mate you are doing an excellent job well done .looks stunning.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Deano777 said

I've got to say mate you are doing an excellent job well done .looks stunning.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, over the moon on how it turned out!

Back to the top
Great progress, and what a finished result.  Engine bay looks stunning.  I might be at the same stage in the next week.

Did you fit the engine yourself?  I think I might enlist a second pair of hands to assist.

Back to the top

Pistol said

Great progress, and what a finished result.  Engine bay looks stunning.  I might be at the same stage in the next week.

Did you fit the engine yourself?  I think I might enlist a second pair of hands to assist.

Thanks! i got 2 extra people to help me I reckon you could do it with just 2 people

Back to the top
That looks stunning mate! As I've said on Pistols' thread - work that tidy, with such attention to detail, always makes me contemplate re-doing mine. But I won't - It's taken me long enough to get to where I am today!

When you put the wiring in - would you mind taking a photo of where you run/mount the section of the loom that runs under the radiator - still unsure where it's supposed to clip in.

Keep up the great work!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paceman said

That looks stunning mate! As I've said on Pistols' thread - work that tidy, with such attention to detail, always makes me contemplate re-doing mine. But I won't - It's taken me long enough to get to where I am today!

When you put the wiring in - would you mind taking a photo of where you run/mount the section of the loom that runs under the radiator - still unsure where it's supposed to clip in.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks much appreciated

yeah I still have photos somewhere. There are securing tabs that secure the loom to the body underneath the radiator, I got mine here but I bought the last ones sorry :lol:

https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/wiring-loom-securing-clip-yellow-golf-jetta-caddy-scirocco-19378-p.asp

Back to the top
Thanks Mark, I've got the clips, still on the loom, just a lot of possible holes to choose from, and whilst my resto may not be up to your standard, I want bits in the right place!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Only a few Small tasks to go now!
Hoping to get it thru its mot by the end of next week as i'm planning on taking it to a show on the 23rd.

only things left to do is sort out a few split wires in the loom, wire in my oil pressure gauge, brakes, driveshafts and get the interior back together. I should have everything i need to finish it by the end of the week as i'm just waiting on a new throttle cable, brake pads and fluid  :thumbs:

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.