Skip navigation

My first Golf - 82' gti Black

Back to the top

Bought my first golf and going to keep track of what I'm doing on this :)

So over the past 3 days I've managed to lay down my seam sealer and a thick coat of hammerite.
I also went over a few bits of surface rust in the engine bay and also did the top of the slam panel

Don't worry about the little bit i have missed I'm taking it back to get welded as there is a small pin hole there.
Should get the sound deadening layed down tomorrow….. finally!

Last edit: by MarkkGardner

Back to the top
Some graft going in there, it's looking good 👍 

Back to the top
I was hoping my paint would be dry today so i can get the sound deadening down but it they were still patches where it was still wet so that task can wait a few more days decided to do another few small jobs on it today.

I changed out my rocker cover and gasket as the old gasket was leaking so i have alot of oil to clean up in the engine bay at some point   :(
looks alot better than the old scabby cover that was on it before  :lol:after this I also re-adjusted the clutch cable as I had heaps of free play in the pedal.

Next on the list after my interior is back in is to get the engine bay looking nice this is a job I'm not looking forward too. I think I'm going to partially stip down the engine and send bits away to get anodized and zinc nickel plated.

Back to the top
Top work :)

What sounddeadening are you going for?

1982 - Mk1 Golf 2.0 AGG 8v - 158 HP / 202 NM

Back to the top

Hurtig said

Top work :)

What sounddeadening are you going for?

Thanks!
I went for silentcoat its was pretty cheap on amazon, I will let you know what its like when its all in if its not quiet enough i'm going to buy a sound deadening kit on vwheritage buy the looks of it its just big patches that go in the foot wells and on the transmission shifter area

Back to the top
I Managed to finish sound deadening the car today after running out half way through   :lol:Never thought this job would be so time consuming it must of taken me between 7-10 hours to apply the lot

Next task is to get all the interior in once that small pinhole has been welded up.

Back to the top
Top work on the sounddeadening  :wub:
Looks really good!

How much did you buy to do this install? Really want this done to mine  ;)

1982 - Mk1 Golf 2.0 AGG 8v - 158 HP / 202 NM

Back to the top

Re:

Hurtig said

Looks really good!

I bought one box on Amazon thinking it would be enough as it said in the reviews "enough to do a small car" should of measured what it would cover than take other people's word haha so ended up having to order another 3 boxes

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Re: Re:

Mark Gardner said

Hurtig said

Looks really good!

I bought one box on Amazon thinking it would be enough as it said in the reviews "enough to do a small car" should of measured what it would cover than take other people's word haha so ended up having to order another 3 boxes

I got 40 sheets of 375x270mm
And I used about 45 sheets of 187x265
They were from Amazon and are silent coat the bigger ones are a bulk buy kit and the smaller ones come in packs of 30

Back to the top
Nice work mate.

If you want to add a bit more sound proofing try some dodo mat on the top of the silent coat on the floor panels and across the boot area. Expensive but worth it.
Inside the door panels lob in some 5mm self adhesive foam as well. Helps to stop noise too.

I also use some car underlay under the carpet too. Again just helps muffle noise from the road.

Looking good though so far. Next thing you'll be adding loads of speakers too.  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Re:

borednow said

Nice work mate.

If you want to add a bit more sound proofing try some dodo mat on the top of the silent coat on the floor panels and across the boot area. Expensive but worth it.
Inside the door panels lob in some 5mm self adhesive foam as well. Helps to stop noise too.

I also use some car underlay under the carpet too. Again just helps muffle noise from the road.

Looking good though so far. Next thing you'll be adding loads of speakers too.  :thumbs:

Ian
I'll see if I'm happy with the noise when I have the interior in and might have to upgrade from the factory size of speaker I think

Back to the top
So this past week has not been a good one as i jacked up my car to see how the recent underseal was holding up only to find air bubbles and other bits peeling off  :dry:So i began ripping parts of the underseal around these areas only to find rust hiding underneath it  :'(So a quick trip back along to speak to the people who undersealed it and they have agreed to rip the whole lot off and start again. Ill update this as ill be going through to inspect it on every stage they do.

I also found out that i need a bit of welding done on my scuttle panel. The rust was hiding underneith the sound deadening thats on it so I stripped off the sound deadening and found this  :'( hopefully these are the last holes I find on this car…

But on the plus side I have my car booked in to get the bolster redone and the bases of the seats re-stretched next week and i've also booked my car in to get the boot, rear quarter pannels, wing and the sill at the bottom of the door resprayed as my door hinges are worn and door drops (new hinges are on the way)

Back to the top
Got the car back from its first bit of welding Just need to paint the scuttle panel now, Im going to use the same method i used for the interior floor
-Zinc primer
-Seam sealer
-Hammerite
-Sound deadening
Then will paint the sound deadening black so it looks oem

Back to the top
:thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Got the scuttle panel started used hammerite crust on the surface rust before priming it

Now just to put a few coats of hammerite back paint on top.

I also got my Seats back from getting the bolsters redone, In the end i got 3 bolsters redone and a new top layer of foam put over the full seat. The seats are so much comfier now only problem is that the new fabric is slightly darker than the original material on the seat :(.

I think im going to have to use some tigerseal or something like that to stick the carpet down in a few places as when you put your feet down it pulls the carpet out as you can see at the bottom right hand side of the photo.
Next- Get the underside stripped and reundersealed. This will be getting done on 26th so will post updates as I go along to inspect it through each stage.

Back to the top
The carpet pulling out at the side can often be due to not having the OEM soundproofing in place - i.e. none at all or some new stuff that's thinner.

I'd check that first  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Re:

Hairyarse said

The carpet pulling out at the side can often be due to not having the OEM soundproofing in place - i.e. none at all or some new stuff that's thinner.

I'd check that first  :thumbs:
That could be my problem haha might put some foam underneath the carpets too just in the footwells

Back to the top
It's surprising it makes such a difference but is logical when you think about it

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
So I'm picking up the car tomorrow after its 2nd underseal as they were a few rust spots coming thru on the floor pans due to not leaving the rust converter on for long enough, they also thought that it could of been because the hardener in the raptor was messing with the rust converter so this time they put red-lead on before they put the raptor on this time

They sent me photos of it with the raptor on but there pretty rubbish photos so ill hopefully get the car on the ramps next week at some point and take more photos of it .

I also got the mid-box cut out and a straight pipe welded in place so that it can sit higher in the exhaust tunnel as the mid-box would not fit in the exhaust tunnel and it sat really low and this will be a problem when i come to lower the car on bc racing coil-overs in the next couple of months.

Im also dropping the car off to get parts of the car resprayed I will post pictures of this as its getting done also.
parts in getting sprayed are:
the whole boot
sunroof surround
rear quarters on both sides
front wing
door jam
the top of the slam panel

Im hoping to have this all done by mid may so I can have the car ready for volksfling at the back of Edinburgh at the end of may where there is a mk1 owners club stand that I should be on if all goes to plan  

Back to the top
Got a better photo of the underside. I had to get the shop do do another coat of raptor on top of the first one as you could slightly see the red through the one coat

dropping the car off on sunday for paint

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.