Skip navigation

Green relay near battery

Back to the top
Hi, I'm looking for advice, started working on my GTI that has been in storage since 2009…  I'm looking at the radom amount of wires especially around the battery, I have come across a green relay and can't seem to find out what it does (image below),  I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you. 

IMG_6825.JPG

Back to the top
Do the wires run to the FAN?

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Feel a little daft 😳 just checked and opened up some wires that were taped up, they seem to go to the spot lights just  a strange place for a relay, I want to tidy every thing up and fix this relay some where rather than floating about, everything's original but this couldn't have been like this from new??  thanks for the reply. 

Back to the top
No that's not original, what could of happened is some one fitted a single light grill and cut out the wires for the spots, some one else came along a re fitted a grill with spots lights and had to wire them up?
Some one has cut and joined the white wire from the main head light, where does that wire go?

If you have some more pictures that may help?

Do the main head lights work?
Do the spot lights come on when you pull the stork back for night beam?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks Mark, That makes sense, i will check tomorrow have the grill off at the mo and also the rad out just going though everything, i've had the car in storage for nearly 10 years, i have now decided bring here back to her best, she's very solid and completely standard, i have already removed an old alarm loom and planning to get all these wires back how they should be, any advice is much appreciate on how to get all these wires in some sort of neat order?

I will add some more pics of the wires, and check the headlights etc.

Thank again Chris.

Last edit: by watty1974

Back to the top
Actually relaying the headlights is the way to go, you get brighter lights because of the shorter current path, and higher voltage because of the same. You also shave the hi-current off the headlight switch and that is a really good thing.

How to relay your lights is in the archive section.
I recently did the 3 relay adding a 3rd to my 2 existing ones.  

On high I have the hi/low and Low on the headlights as well as the high.  So I may burn them out quicker, but I sure have a lot more light.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the info,  going to take a good look at this over the next couple of days, I want to replace this relay can you advice want number this is likely to be? 

Back to the top
That looks to be a standard 20-40 Amp relay.  
At most car parts places over here you can find them in the Off-Road section of most Auto Parts Places.  They can come with or without a Socket, and usually you can find them with a mounting tab on the top to secure it to a Fender or a bracket.

I would suggest that you wire 2 relays one for the High and one for the low, and you can use the old sockets to power the "PICK" side of the relay.

I did my own relay setup, as "KIT"s weren't avail when I was doing this, but now on Amazon or Ebay, they sell kits that are a tad easier on the pocketbook than when I made mine.   I opted for new Ceramic Headlamp sockets when I built mine so they would dissipate heat from the increased current.

If you look at my how to,  I went from 11.6V at the old connection to 13.5 on the new after relay.

Relaying your Head Lights | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

I used 89 Honda headlight door motor relays, as they were socketed, and rubber jacketed to keep water out (They even had a nice bracket that I could use to hang them with.).  I think they were about 3 bucks at the breakers.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
There is lots of upgraded headlight loom for sale on the web if you don't have the skills to make one.

The wiring you have does not seem to have a fuse fitted? If you do reuse it fit a in line fuse just incase something shorts as it will save the wire melting or worse case a fire.

Search headlight loom upgrade to find more info but Briano1234 guide is very good if making your own.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK1-GOLF-CABRIO-Headlight-wiring-loom-upgrade-Mk1-2-Golf-WC941W000-/182025069031?epid=521791677&hash=item2a618a21e7:g:cd0AAOSwUuFWwfvc

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks Guys for all the info, my knowledge of wiring is very limited and feel very nervous about attempting this on my own… Wimp i know!!   :$(great how to Briano1234 , electrics are really not my thing….)

looking at this: thanks ( mark1gls )

https://www.vwheritage.com/wc941w000-headlight-wiring-loom-upgrade-mk1-2-golf

Will this control the centre lights?  Just want a clean look and remove all the unwanted wires, i suppose  like a factory setup if you know what i mean.

Thanks again  Chris.

Last edit: by watty1974

Back to the top

Small update.  Connected the battery back in last night,  all the lights work on side lights, dipped beam and high beam, but the centre lights don't work at all, i assume these are fog lights or am i completely wrong??

Back to the top
Yes/no.  The center lights on a quad grille are usually high beams, but folks can modify them.

The Center lights have 2 connections on them.
One should be a Brown wire that is clipped to the base metal where the bulb goes, and the other is insulated wire that is connected to the center lead.

This center lead should directly tie to the "Hi-Beam" of the 8" bulb as a pig tail.

If someone has modded this then it's a Dice roll as to what powers it.

If you want OEM functionality, then wire the center lead of the bulb to the High Beam lead on your primary bulb as that is Factory.

If you want them to work independent of the main, then you would need an additional relay and switch, or  so if the PO (previous owner) was cheap he used a switch only no fuse.  :(

I personally think that all the trouble in the world is cause by the "One" or "Body" family.  I think they all should be arrested and placed in prison for eternity.  I always heard, that Some One, or No One did this or that, and that No Body did it, or Some Body did that, but not the person that found or reported the issue…..
Them One and Body families are a menace to society.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
The link you posted to vw heritage headlight loom is only for the bigger main headlights and it won't power the spot lights.

What year is your car? Is it the tin top in your picture?

You need a kit with at least 3 fuses and relays, 1 relay and fuse for side lights, 1 for main beam (bigger outer lights) and 1 for high beam (smaller centre lights)

Back to the top
Again thanks for all the info. Yes it's a 1984  tin top  in my picture and below. 

Had the car nearly 10 years, but never driven it apart from getting it home when I bought it.. ( i travel a lot with my business so time has been limited ),  been dry stored,  It's a really solid car and the only non standard / original part to the car is this loom.  Everything works (except the centre lights) I just want a tidy looking loom,  so it  looks and works as stock, like it did the day it was produced.  

A Golf GTi was my first car I plan never to sell this one as I have always loved them, as I guess you all do!! 

I want the spot light to work as hi beam,  as I remember they did from new?? Mechanically I know what I'm doing, electrics I do not!!  just need to work out how to do this….  your advice / help is very much appreciated. 

IMG_6712.JPG

Back to the top
the hella inner lamp grille conversion kits came with a single relay kit to power them up, the relay was mounted near the battery. yours isnt original but may have replaced a setup that is.

note the inner lamps could either be spots or fog lamps, both are available for the mk1. the factory grilles on the runout GTI had fogs in rather than spots.

if going for a relay kit i would recommend you get one with at least 3 relays, 1 per side for dipped beam and 1 for main beam. 4 even better! with 2 fuses/relays on the dip you have redundancy, 1 fuse or relay failure wont take out all of the lights

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
HI 

That would make sense, the car has a 2 step fog light switch  in the dash (original), first click (current does nothing) but second turns on rear fogs, I presume the first click will turn on the front fogs once I get them working? I just need to work out the loom to get these working. 

Back to the top
they all have the 2 stage fog switch, but yeah 1st click is fronts only, 2nd is fronts + rear.

chase the wirign from your relay see where it taps into

Back to the top
It's pretty simple really looking at it, it taps into the headlight and also both inner spots, I assume so they would work as hi beam? Rather than fogs? 

Back to the top
yeah so these are wired as spots then :)

Back to the top
Would you replace with that loom from VW heritage then? Or attempt to make my own….

If nothing else it's given me opportunity to have a good clean up!!  IMG_6854.JPG IMG_6855.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.