Skip navigation

1980 1.6 GTI - Unintentional Project

Back to the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

A little more tonight. Fitted the lower side stripes. Horrible job. Out of all of the decals they are the worse. Turned out ok though which is the main thing. Fitted door mirror (with on screw others in order) fitted 2 new number plate lights and reverse bulb. Bloody fog lamp not working will be posting in help for that one. Some pics of the stripes

Back to the top

Spots wired to main beam and working a treat. MOT booked for next week.

Back to the top
You're car looks very nice. Good luck with the mot  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Looking good!
Well done!!
😎👍🏁

Back to the top

Bonus hour on the car today. Amazing how little jobs take so much time. Fitted the carpet to the sill properly and rebuilt the door card.

Back to the top

Mot in the morning. Garage owner has just had his caddy painted and I have a spare front valance spoiler to sweeten him up a little 🤞

Back to the top
Hope the MOT went all right.

Presumably you fitted correct colour number plates for the MOT?  :P

I'm about ti re-fit my glass. Any tips for the rear glass at all?

The paint looks really good in the pictures btw. You must be well chuffed!  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

She passed. Never doubted it honest

Ian

I shall do a write up from my laptop shortly on window fitting.

Back to the top

borednow said

Hope the MOT went all right.

Presumably you fitted correct colour number plates for the MOT?  :P

I'm about ti re-fit my glass. Any tips for the rear glass at all?

The paint looks really good in the pictures btw. You must be well chuffed!  :thumbs:

Ian

Thanks Ian, as you can see above just stuck the old number plates on with double sided to get through MOT. One more year on this nonsense then it will hit the magic 40 to just run the pressed all the time.

Fitting glass - Rear Qtrs and Rear Screen needed 2 people. I used some old washing line and works it into the seal crossing over at the bottom of each piece of glass. Lots of soapy water for which i used fairy and water in a bottle at about 10~15% fairy liquid. I wiped a load directly onto the car and then made sure the seal was well lubricated in the groove.

Qtr was not too bad to fit, but used a small flat end screw driver (similar to an electrical one) and as i pulled the lip over the inner edge with the washing line then any bits that did not flick i simply teased over with the screw drive tip. All the time I had my 10 year old son on the outside keeping some medium pressure on the glass. The very last bit was the worst (last 2~3 inches) as this was hard to pull the line out and also need a lot of teasing. Corners also need to be teased a little. TIP once you have it in the seal does not look right on the inside, simply get out and push the whole glass into the hole it will sink in about 1/4 of an inch maybe less and then you can use your fingers on the inside the push the seal into position all the way round.

Read screen - Not wanting to put you off but this was a B**ch….. Hardest of all for me, but that may of been because the washing line was a bit thick. Same approach but this time I had the 17 stone neighbor to help. It may of been he put too much pressure on for it to seem easy like the others also. Anyway, lots more teasing on each corner and the straights with the screwdriver. I had no rear seats in either which to be fair helps as it allows you to get your arms in there and really pull at the line, where as if the seats and shelf were folded i could of been a bit cramped. The hired help also had to quite aggressively bang the corners of the glass as i was pulling the line round these bits as it was tight and the seal was struggling to reach the lip of the tail gate. same to finish push on the rear screen spreading my hands to the edges (didn't want to push right through after that) and then work the seal on the inside again.

Overall it is not the hardest job on the car, that was the lower decals on the side.

Final point if you are re-trimming the inside then this has to be done before the glass if fitted for both B and C pillars. Also if you are fitting the tailgate decal this has to be done before fitting the glass.

Pretty sure I put some pictures up earlier in the thread about this, but may of only spoke about the re-trim and not glass fitting.

Any questions feel free to ask. It was my very first time trimming and fitting glass, as well as many other firsts on this. I am by no means a genius as this so take confidence in the fact that if I can then anyone who knows how to hold a screwdriver properly should be able to also.

Good luck and try to enjoy it, or at least the results.

Back to the top
Online to tax it next then buy my Sunday pass for the AGM. See you all there with a hopefully largely completed car.

Back to the top
So all things Golf today and decided to put all the mileage from the receipts, service book and MOT's into one spread sheet. My MK1 shows a very respectable 65597 Miles. I know really good…… Until you dig into it…..
I knew the clocks were changed by the last owner and thought it had about 75~80 K - Still not bad.
However looking through the history the clocks have been changed twice - haha, and it is approximately 156,000 miles. This is definitely my Golf as it gains miles like I gain weight……
Anyway thought it would be interesting to share, overall it does not matter the car is solid and now in great shape to motor onto the 300K and beyond.

Need a rest now as I have just completed a 95,000 Mile journey back from the MOT today :lol:
Attachment
Milage Map.bmp

Back to the top

Well done passing the MOT … Happy driving!

What's the situation with the pressed number plates then?

I thought it was only allowed on cars built before a certain date?

Back to the top

Thanks. 40 years old or more rolling over every year. Same for car tax that will be free in a couple of years for me.  Can't wait

Back to the top
Thanks for the info on the glass.

Fitted a rear quarter yesterday. Went in easy. I used baby oil on the seals and left it to soak overnight. Nice and flexible and slippy too  O_o   :thumbs:

I was aware of the tax rolling on but thought the plates were only for pre '73 cars. I don't think that rolls onward!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Back to the top
Hi

this looks similar to my project, although most of the hard was already done on mine.

I've just re-fitted the gti arches on mine too.

I'll look out for yours at the AGM!

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top

Just hope I can get my arches, duckbill, door card and dash finished before coming down on the Sunday. Wedding anniversary this weekend and away with work all week so time is short.

Back to the top

Some pictures of her ready for 2017 AGM. Still loads of little jobs and details to do but sheet looks good and roadworthy.

Back to the top
Good for you and congratulations, she looks superb!

Nice work Sir  :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.