Skip navigation

Fuel starvation only when moving

Back to the top

My Mk 1 will tick over all day but loses fuel when moving

Keith Usher said

which new pump did he fit, some of the new stuff is total garbage.

He initially bought a cheaper one and it made no difference so he bought an expensive one (but can't remember the make). Still the same problem.  :(

Back to the top
hi all thanks for the replys ,do we know what the ignition module acctually does?.
i dont know what to do next now if i am honest?

Back to the top

lukecab said

hi all thanks for the replys ,do we know what the ignition module acctually does?.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-an-Ignition-Control-Module-Works-/10000000178532970/g.html

your actual coil could also be going bad when hot.

It seems the car is ok now with the thermostat removed?  is the water temp reading lower than normal now under normal driving conditions?

Last edit: by Keith Usher

Back to the top

Keith Usher said

lukecab said

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-an-Ignition-Control-Module-Works-/10000000178532970/g.html

It seems the car is ok now with the thermostat removed?  is the water temp reading lower than normal now under normal driving conditions?

The temp is reading at about 1/4 on the guage

Back to the top
20170504_210217.jpg 20170504_210226.jpg

Am hoping we found the culprit….this was the pipe that goes from the petrol cap to the tank. I think bits were falling off and getting into the fuel. Replaced with a new one……..everything crossed!

Back to the top
Did you check if the tank was clean? Also, water might have gotten into the tank as well. My GTI had the same problem before I owned it and the filler neck was replaced but the water and rusty particles were left in the tank and worked their way up to the injection system and killed nearly every component! Probably not so bad on a carb model but it would be worth getting the worst of the rust out and keep a close eye on the fuel filter. Hope you get it sorted!

Back to the top
But you said you'd checked inside the tank?

With the filler that bad and it stalling so readily it must be full of rust, muck and water?

Simply changing the filler won't solve your problems until the tank and lines are cleaned out. There was an article on here about syphoning the fuel and muck out saving having remove the tank (and exhaust/brakes/shocks/axle shearing lots of bolts and making your life a misery)

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

vw-cabriolady said

Keith Usher said

lukecab said

The temp is reading at about 1/4 on the guage

If your temp only goes to 1/4 , now the thermo is always open your engine is running to cold all the time.  
You should have a petrol filter on the fuel line where it enters the engine bay,  what condition does that look to be in?  they are easy and cheap to change for a bigger one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Universal-Petrol-Inline-Fuel-Filter-Large-Car-Part-Fit-6mm-8mm-Pipes-/152552510806?hash=item2384d69556:g:FqIAAOSwYvFZHUG-

Back to the top
Yes that will cause alsorts of problems, you need to buy a cabriolet filler neck as they are different to tin top cars, cabriolet ones are more expensive for some strange reason?
You can chop out a section of the tintop filler neck and reweld the end back on to get the right angle, I was told you could bend it to fit but this does not work.

My rusty cabriolet filler neck next to a new tin top one.

Amount that needs cutting out.

All painted and ready to go on.

Buy a new rubber hose which goes between filler neck and tank and 2 new jubilee clips.

You will need to clean out what ever else has fell into your fuel tank and replace the fuel filters a couple of times to make sure all the bit's are out.

I'm surprised the rusty filler neck was not spotted earlier as that would be the 1st place I would look before looking inside the fuel tank…
Treat the new filler neck to lots of stone chip paint and protection, it's also worth cleaning around it twice a year to get all the mud out which sits ontop of the filler neck if you do use the car all year around and it gets wet and muddy.

Put your thermostat back in if still driving with out it, the car needs it there to regulate the coolant temp as it should read 1/2 on the gauge.

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

But you said you'd checked inside the tank?

With the filler that bad and it stalling so readily it must be full of rust, muck and water?

Simply changing the filler won't solve your problems until the tank and lines are cleaned out. There was an article on here about syphoning the fuel and muck out saving having remove the tank (and exhaust/brakes/shocks/axle shearing lots of bolts and making your life a misery)

I know it's hard to believe but the tank really was clear - I don't understand it either.  

Back to the top

mark1gls said

I'm surprised the rusty filler neck was not spotted earlier as that would be the 1st place I would look before looking inside the fuel tank…

Put your thermostat back in if still driving with out it, the car needs it there to regulate the coolant temp as it should read 1/2 on the gauge.

I guess we're not all that clever though eh?  ;)
We've got it sorted now thanks, the new one is on and seems to be doing the trick (fingers crossed). And yes the thermostat is back on as it made no difference.
Thanks for the advice.  :)

Back to the top
Glad it's all sorted and back on the road.  :thumbs: If you ever need any help /advice we are always here to help.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Glad it's all sorted and back on the road.  :thumbs: If you ever need any help /advice we are always here to help.

Thank you it's much appreciated  :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.