Skip navigation

Help with 1979 GTI Engineering MK1

Back to the top

Any Info appreciated

Hi Unusual first post I know, but I'm trying to find any info or history on this car I recently bought

My name is Gavin and I live in Ireland, recently purchased a 1979 right hand drive mk1

I just happened across it, I wasn't going to bother looking at it until I noticed the small tail lights and no sunroof, I popped the bonnet and seen it was a 1600 4 speed with a gti engineering plaque on the chassis leg.

Before I start to get around to weather or not to restore it, do any of you guys recognize it? (It spent its life in the uk)

I've attached a few pics to try help! All info appreciated good and  bad !

Gavin

Back to the top
Can't help you with your questions but welcome to the forum, this is a nice find, can't be many 4speed GTI about, let alone a GTI engineering one. Looks from the sticker a plus pac so normally a sports cam and gas flowed head I think.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
What an amazing find!

I hope it doesn't need much restoration  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hi Gavin… Yes nice find.

If you need bits or help on the Irish side be sure to drop me a line or message. I Don't have a huge amount of S1 stuff myself but I know of others!

Welcome to the forum.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply guys.

So far its needs sills towards the front, boot floor is good and scuttle panel and of course painting.

No seats but round dial dash etc are all in place

Thanks for the info on the Plus Pac, I have it starting, fuse board being the issue as to why he parked it up and sold it cheap, luckily for me.

Car was previously in chesterfield and slough apparently

I'll take a few more shots and see what you experts spot! Ive had a few series 2 but not a series 1!

Back to the top
Welcome to the club first of all.

Again I can't help you with information on this but I'm sure others will as the news gets around.  ;)
One thing for sure is if you keep it original you'll have a special and unique find on your hands!  :thumbs:

Do start a new post for the whole project in the 'Project ' section from day one.
Loads of photos, information on what you're doing and you'll have a great historical record of the work as it progresses.

Which you'll always be able to refer back to!  ;)

By the way, Shughy is one of this clubs top senior members so you won't go far wrong listening to his advice.  ;)

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
Thanks for the info guys, I'll start a build thread, I'm currently finishing restoring a mk2 16v so Mk1 is up next.

Ive had a few offers on the car but I am trying to resist the urge !

Starting to try accumulate a few bits I'll need…

I need seats, roof cloth etc

Bought these the other day… lets not talk about cost!

Back to the top
They look superb Gav.  :thumbs:

Oh sorry about the blank posts but I've no idea how that happened and I'm a Moderator!  :$

PS.
Don't be tempted to sell this.
There's not that many around, there weren't back in the day but if can I were in your shoes and I could clear 5k profit as it stands I might be tempted!  :ninja:  ;)

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

They look superb Gav.  :thumbs:

Oh sorry about the blank posts but I've no idea how that happened and I'm a Moderator!  :$

PS.
Don't be tempted to sell this.
There's not that many around, there weren't back in the day but if can I were in your shoes and I could clear 5k profit as it stands I might be tempted!  :ninja:  ;)

You're officially my counselor now during this project if I'm loosing the will half way!

If any of you guys see an interior for a s1 Gti I'd be grateful for the heads up!

I may have to go later model seats in s1 retrim if not?

Back to the top
I am about to start this project now I'm coming to the end of an 88 Saphire cosworth resto.

Just bumping this here to see if it gets any more info by chance. Apparently it was a show car back in the very early days for GTI Engineering.

All help appreciated and I'll start a project thread and get involved more in the site hopefully, its a great site from what I can see .

Gavin

Back to the top
you could try this group on Face book…… GTi Engineering

Back to the top

Re:

Yomp said

you could try this group on Face book…… GTi Engineering

Thanks for the link but I'm not on Facebook. I know I know!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
I've put a link to your thread on the fb group in question. Some knowledgable people on there so if they have any info they will post on here with any luck..

Back to the top

Re:

Yomp said

I've put a link to your thread on the fb group in question. Some knowledgable people on there so if they have any info they will post on here with any luck..
Very decent of you. Appreciate your help on this. Thank you

Back to the top
GTi Engineering (Silverstone).
Plus pack would have been Shrick 265 duration cam & polish/ported head.

Back to the top

Re:

Dave_T said

GTi Engineering (Silverstone).
Plus pack would have been Shrick 265 duration cam & polish/ported head.
Great info thanks Dave. I have a few original documents to collect. I'll post them up when I get them

Its got a chrome rocker cover and inlet pipe. I've been told this would have been part of the gti engineering look? (before I bin it I ask!)

Also in 79 would gti engineering have offered a rear disk conversion? (again any opinions appreciated)

Back to the top
Don't think GTI Engineering did chrome "bling" so bin….
A GTi Engineering worked block would have been bright blue…
Also don't think they did rear conversions at that time as most conversions are actually done with Mk2 bits…

From memory:
on the 1.6 the plus pack went from 112 to 125 bhp, the RE1850 which was reworked bottom end as well went to 140bhp with a whole load more torque (this was a stunning engine).

For ref, at that time tuning was limited pretty much to blueprinting, headwork, inlet/exhaust & displacement increase (overbore and long throw crank).
"Proper engineering work", not "bigger turbo and software" or find a scrapped car and steal its engine…

Richard Lloyd owned GTi Engineering with Brian Ricketts at his side.
Brian left to open BR Motorsport in Warwickshire. Great guy.
Brians main tech (Mark Yates) left BRM and started MYTECH.
AmD were around in Oddington (the original pairing of race driver Mike Devine & ex-Krypton engineer Geoff Everett as "Automotive Developments'). Great guys and Geoff was a whiz with rolling road tuning..
TSR in Bridgewater was also around with Tim Styles (ex teacher, so that's enough said about Tim's qualifications)

Last edit: by Dave_T

Back to the top

Help with 1979 GTI Engineering MK1

Super info Dave_t. You couldn't pay for information like that.

Very knowledgeable members on here.

All info and input appreciated

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.