Skip navigation

Ruby conversion to mk5 r32 with DSG

Back to the top

squirrelofdoom said

Progress!
FB_IMG_1505151812686~2.jpg
You're putting me to shame getting the engine in so fast  :lol:Need to get my act in gear, does sit well. did you lower it in from the top or from underneath and did you have the tranny on?

Would be useful to know when I get the engine in  :cool:

Back to the top

Back to the top
I can't take the credit for the speed this is happening! That's all down to the guys at CrazyQuiffs! And I haven't gone for your approach of sorting out all the engine bay haha, I'm going for the quickest solution xD

As far as the best way of getting the engine in, I would imagine from the bottom with the box attached. Mine is a 6 speed box, what're you going to run?

Back to the top

squirrelofdoom said

I can't take the credit for the speed this is happening! That's all down to the guys at CrazyQuiffs! And I haven't gone for your approach of sorting out all the engine bay haha, I'm going for the quickest solution xD

As far as the best way of getting the engine in, I would imagine from the bottom with the box attached. Mine is a 6 speed box, what're you going to run?

Yeah was planning to do it from underneath with the inlet off, don't want to knock my new paint work :O

I've got a 5 speed corrado vr6 box with CTN diesel 5th gear. will probably go 6 speed after everything is up and running. Did you go 6 speed manual in then end?

Do you know what radiator you're going to use?

:)

Back to the top
Yeah, went 6-speed manual in the end. A DSG would be "possible", but getting stuff like the ABS rings / coding / wiring (and actually the size and shape of the gearbox itself) all sorted would've been really expensive time-wise.

So I've gone for a 6-speed with Quaiffe LSD with a new crown wheel to get better ratios for the road.

Admittedly I don't know which radiator I'm going to use. I think I've heard mention of some van radiator that seems to fit well. Part of me remembers it being some Transit radiator, but honestly I couldn't tell you at the moment :D

Back to the top

squirrelofdoom said

Yeah, went 6-speed manual in the end. A DSG would be "possible", but getting stuff like the ABS rings / coding / wiring (and actually the size and shape of the gearbox itself) all sorted would've been really expensive time-wise.

So I've gone for a 6-speed with Quaiffe LSD with a new crown wheel to get better ratios for the road.

Admittedly I don't know which radiator I'm going to use. I think I've heard mention of some van radiator that seems to fit well. Part of me remembers it being some Transit radiator, but honestly I couldn't tell you at the moment :D

Ah cool, what code box did you go for if you don't mind me asking?

As a temporary measure I have a large radiator from classic VW. It was very cheap and has the outlet / inlet on the correct side. http://www.classic-vw.co.uk/large-conversion-radiator-700x320x30-core-14337-p.asp

Waiting for eurowise to finish their kit as it might be an option for an upgrade in the future

Back to the top
Went for an 02m, it's a familiar box for me because I used to have an S3 8L.

You can also get 02s boxes which I believe are built off the 02j design with the extra gear, making fitment maybe a bit easier. But, they are much more expensive and less readily available at the moment

Back to the top

squirrelofdoom said

Went for an 02m, it's a familiar box for me because I used to have an S3 8L.

You can also get 02s boxes which I believe are built off the 02j design with the extra gear, making fitment maybe a bit easier. But, they are much more expensive and less readily available at the moment

I know this has been a while and you're on the road now :)

What cluster are you using? Are you using a stock MK1 cluster with cable?

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
No got it changed to a digital cluster. Same housing etc though

Back to the top

squirrelofdoom said

No got it changed to a digital cluster. Same housing etc though

I'm intrigued. Did Crazy Quiffs do that for you?

Is it the donor engines cluster made to fit?

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
Indeed Richard did it for me at CrazyQuiffs. I'm not one for the digital / electronics side :)

Don't believe it was the donor engine cluster that was changed though, I think just a mk2 cluster or something? One that has the digital mileage readout already.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Sorry bud, no pictures of the cluster!

Looked at some online, and it just seems to be a normal mk1 cluster actually.

https://campervanculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Screen-Shot-2019-01-25-at-12.39.27.jpg

The LCD screen at the bottom though they've changed to display mileage now. I wonder whether the speedo cable system doesn't work with the 02M box and the mk1 cluster, and so they need to digitally pass the signal through and so modify the internals of the cluster itself.

Back to the top
Hello !

Sorry to disturb after all this time but do you have pics of your engine mounts and trans mounts with the 02m ? i'm from france and i'm tying to fit a r32 with 02m to my 83 mk1.

But i dont get it i ordered Epytec mounts kit for the vr6's with 02m and nothing fit correctly….:dry:i just want to see your setup and how the engine and gearbox are place in the engine bay.

i will do a topic about my project so if anyone wants to see, feel free to do so :)Thanks a lot !

Mk3 GTI Daily driver
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.