Skip navigation

Mk1 Caddy 92

Back to the top
  rear beam cut.jpg rear mounted3.jpg front mounted.jpg airlift struts.jpg front notch 1.jpg Drill notching.jpg caddy front1.jpg Hi
Im pretty new to this forum, but iv'e only ever used the Caddy forum, but anyway.  This is my second caddy, the first one dissolved into a non refundable mess.  This one i only got a year ago as a non runner.  It had been sat for 6 years.  The terrible paint on it has lasted really well, just a shame its a horrid design.

Since being in my ownership i have fitted:-
AAZ engine and gearbox
280mm brakes
9" servo and respective brake lines
mk3 golf instrument cluster to accompany the engine 
  • The front coil overs and flipped axle were already fitted, but i am currently fitting Air Lift Performance air ride suspension with a custom rear set up.  I have removed the engine again to notch the front chassis, refitted it and am currently mounting the front struts, compressor, Tank, manifold, air lines, loom etc.
  • Hopefully the pics will explain it all a bit better.
The rear axle i have decided to narrow for the wheels to fit better inside the arches.

Back to the top
Welcome Russell  :thumbs:

Nice work so far. Any pics of the Caddy side on so we can see it in all its glory?  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Of course, how silly of me to not put a side view up, showing just how horrific the paint design really is  O_o
caddy surf board.jpg
caddy surf 1.jpg

Attachment
149 views (3 Mb)

Attachment
159 views (1.98 Mb)

Back to the top
Haha, well it looks nice and shiny!!  :cool:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Haha, well it looks nice and shiny!!  :cool:  :thumbs:

Yup…….That's a positive, i'll take that  :lol:

Back to the top
Love that paint job. I take it that it came from the factory like that  :P  :thumbs:  

I seem to remember in the brochure that the 'surf bum' paint job was available :lol: .

I really like that. Did you do it yourself?

Sounds like you've done all the work needed. Whats the rest of the plans?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Love that paint job. I take it that it came from the factory like that  :P  :thumbs:  

I seem to remember in the brochure that the 'surf bum' paint job was available :lol: .

I really like that. Did you do it yourself?

Sounds like you've done all the work needed. Whats the rest of the plans?

Ian

Love the sarcasm  ;)

The paint was already done when i bought it, my long term plan is to do it candy red with some other trick bits.
I'm also putting air ride on it at the moment, so that should look pretty good when its done.
Need to source a nice interior, need carpet rather than this horrid plastic/rubber that the caddy's came with.
Might put some wide 5 wheels on in the future so i can run the 'moony' hub caps.

Thats about it, try to  keep it simple.

Back to the top
Had a busy weekend with the air ride.  I managed to get the rear axle in primer ready to paint and look all lovely.  Got both the rear leaf springs off yesterday afternoon (after a lot of swearing, cutting, swearing more, grazing hands knuckles and fingers, breaking a cutting disc on my angle grinder and going through 12 blades on my sawzall.
after that i rolled both the front arches, fitted the front struts in place again, for the final time.  
Getting exciting now.

rear axle prep.png
rear axle prep1.png rear axle in primer.jpg

Attachment
142 views (2 Mb)

Back to the top
Slightly unusual paint job, but caddy looks in great condition. Look forward to updates  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Slightly unusual paint job, but caddy looks in great condition. Look forward to updates  :thumbs:

Matt

Yeah i really don't like the paint, but the Caddy itself is solid, that's why i bought it, figured its easier to repaint than weld structural rigidity back into it.

Back to the top
Got back from a work trip and got a bit more done on the air ride.
Mounted the tank, manifold and compressor for the final time.
Started running the hard lines.
I also tried a 175/50/16 on my 7.5 inch wide wheels, its given a slight stretch and the front wheels fit a lot better in the arches on full compression.

hard lines1.jpg
front wheel.jpg

Back to the top
Hi mate, i thought i recognised this off the caddy forum. Looking great so far. I'm intrigued to see the air ride set up when its all finished

Back to the top
great work mate,
love the front struts, might have to swap mine with some of those.

Back to the top

browner01 said

great work mate,
love the front struts, might have to swap mine with some of those.

They are really really nice, and pretty trick, but very expensive.
https://www.airliftperformance.com/vehicle/volkswagen-golf-1974-1984/

Back to the top
Before i started this air ride project, i looked through youtube to see if anyone had done installation videos, just to see where they had mounted stuff, and just to get a general idea. I knew i was quite capable of fitting it all, but its always nice to see what other people have done.
So i decided to do an installation video, its a bit cringe lol, but i figured if there nothing on youtube, and it helps others out in the future then its got to be worth it.

So here are the first 2 videos of it…………let the banter begin  :ocf_emoticons__surrender:  

VW Mk1 Caddy Rabbit Air Ride Installation Part 1 - YouTube
VW Mk1 Caddy Rabbit Air Ride Installation Part 2 - YouTube

Back to the top
"Fitting front struts (reverse of removal obviously", I think someone is paraphrasing Mr Haynes  :lol:   :P

Nice work on the vids. I like the way the swearing has been edited out (I presume there was some?)

I did find your voice a little quiet though, I was straining to hear you over the music, perhaps a bit more voice on the next ones?

Nice work so far. Looks like a nice and tidy job  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Had a productive weekend over easter.  Got the Airlift wiring loom installed in the cab, all run behind the fuse box and wired in.  Controller mounted.
interior.jpg

Also ran new rear brake hoses.  They had been replaced by someone before, but they cut corners and i wanted to neaten in up.  Also ran the air hoses for the front airbags.
brake hoses all.jpg

brake hoses some.jpg brake and air hoses.jpg

Back to the top
Also had time to edit another video on the wiring loom install.  Im still editing the video for the air hose install

VW mk1 Caddy Rabbit Air ride installation 3 - YouTube

Back to the top

borednow said

"Fitting front struts (reverse of removal obviously", I think someone is paraphrasing Mr Haynes  :lol:   :P

Nice work on the vids. I like the way the swearing has been edited out (I presume there was some?)

I did find your voice a little quiet though, I was straining to hear you over the music, perhaps a bit more voice on the next ones?

Nice work so far. Looks like a nice and tidy job  :thumbs:

Ian

Ha Ha yeah there was'nt as much swearing as i thought ha

Noted, i will make sure the narration is at a higher volume next time, thanks.

Im trying to make it nice and tidy, takes longer but its worth the extra hours for sure.

Russell

Back to the top
Nice vid.

Picked up a couple of handy tips too, ta.

Love the axle stands by the way. Got a bit more info on them? Size of sheet? Bolted or welded?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
There are too many online users to list.