Skip navigation

It's amazing what is behind some small rust bubbles :-(

Back to the top
Had a couple of patches of rust appear on the rear arches - found out the full extent of the rot today, fortunately it is confined to the arch corners and the very lower part of the rear valance - the drivers side arch is coming off though as a previous arch repair is beyond words, there was nearly half an inch of filler on the bodged welds !!

IMG_0867.JPG IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0870.JPG IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0873.JPG

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Ouch. At least it's getting sorted before it gets any worse  :thumbs:

Back to the top
I feel your pain, mine started from a few rust bubbles and behind it was a load of bodged welds!

Like Mike said, least its getting sorted!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Rust is like an iceburg - you only see around 30% of what is really there!
I'm sure you being you, Ade, will get it sorted properly!!

Back to the top
Fair play there are some cowboys around… now in the sheriffs hands :lol: 

Back to the top

It's amazing what is behind some small rust bubbles :-(

Cheers guys!
The hardest part is getting hold of decent panels so that they do not have to spend ages reshaping them - I got some Klokkenholm ones that are utter crap!
The Klokkenholm valance one was ok though.

The next hardest job was getting a paint match, in the end the bonnet had to be sent away to have it formulated as the last garage that sprayed it 6 years ago did not stick to the Lhasagreen forumula!

I am not worried though as Drew at Midland Paint Werks is amazing with sheet metal and matching paint :-)

Take a look at the TR2 he is rebuilding, there won't be a panel left when it is done - this owner bought this car and it looked beautiful, but was held together with paint and rust!
Midland paintwerks | Stone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Who's old enough to still remember P38 and P40 fillers in the 70's and 80's? 🤔

I swear some cars I bought had so much they must have been sponsored by the Isopon! 😕

Ade your preparations looks tip top, look forward to seeing the finished product. 👍

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
The colour match has now been formulated - was close to the point where the whole car would have to be painted again.
These two pics show the same colour and it's match swatch from different light angles - amazing the difference!

IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0880.JPG

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Ouch I'm expecting similar on my next 2 projects.. small bubbles on scuttles and behind clipper kit.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Paint match looks perfect. keep us updated with pictures of the repairs, I like to see this kind of thing. Have you a timescale?

Also, on the first close up picture of the colour match, where the black body trim line is sat in the recess. is that a small masking line or is there something in the recess?

Back to the top
Do you know roughly when the arches were done?

I repaired mine in 2004 and the only bit that has gone is the lower rear edges, though back then I was still learning.

Keep us posted :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looking forward to seeing the progress on this as I'm going to be carrying out these exact repairs on my own project soon.

Again, getting a hold of decent panels may prove difficult though! If you manage to source some decent ones, let us know! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Half inch of filler? At least it makes me feel good about my repairs now, I only need 3/8" of filler :thumbs:!

On a serious note, at least you are getting on top of it and that colour match is very good.

Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Back to the top
I feel your pain mate.

Mine just appeared to be 'off' at the meeting of the joints.

Turned out it had been removed and badly fitted at some point. Had to replace the entire rear panel.

Still it's been done better this time

Paint match looks good too  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

chrisL said

Paint match looks perfect. keep us updated with pictures of the repairs, I like to see this kind of thing. Have you a timescale?

Also, on the first close up picture of the colour match, where the black body trim line is sat in the recess. is that a small masking line or is there something in the recess?

Thats just the gap between the door and the rear window - you can see the seal that goes around the door, the mark on the paint is just from the camera flash.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

Do you know roughly when the arches were done?

I repaired mine in 2004 and the only bit that has gone is the lower rear edges, though back then I was still learning.

Keep us posted :thumbs:

I am not sure, it has had 4 resprays of varying quality since 1993 when I bought her. I think that one was done 6 years ago, found out today that it had two arches, one stuck on top of the other!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Bit of an update, the drivers side arch is off, there were two arches there, one stuck on top of the other!

The inner arch lip has gone, so the lip will be replaced, the inner arch itself does not look too bad, well apart form the ends :-)

They have built up the rear passenger corner, we were wondering whether to take the passenger side arch off as well, but it has not bubbled in 6 years so I think we are going to leave it alone and just repair the inner and out ends.

IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0930.JPG IMG_0931.JPG IMG_0932.JPG IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0934.JPG

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top
Looks like the colour match is spot on.

Hopefully its ready in time for Stanford! :thumbs:

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top

P0jy said

Looks like the colour match is spot on.

Hopefully its ready in time for Stanford! :thumbs:

I hope so too!

Few more pics from the guys working on her today
IMG_0990.JPG IMG_0991.JPG IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0996.JPG IMG_0997.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1001.JPG IMG_1002.JPG

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.