Skip navigation

The Quest for the Mars Red Cabby !

Back to the top

Great day !!! I have got the wheels sorted!!!!! And have finally found some direction for the build to continue so it’s cutting and welding drive shafts and wishbones on Monday 20mm should do the trick and I’ve ordered 2 new wheels for the back with 15mm higher ET so they should do the job nicely.
On the front I have finally settled on 7.5x17” wheel with a 185/35/17 tyre which gives me just the look I’ve been trying to achieve over the last 6 months or so I have also purchased both front and rear bumpers, new grill and trim and a few other  bits and bobs so onwards at long last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top
Not knocking it, but 185/35 and the state of our roads.

Back to the top

Yeah I know but it's not like I drive it every day and it's just like an itch that needs scratching, I've had the picture in my brain for the last year or so and this is as close as I've come to making it a reality, stupid? Probably, impractical? Definitely but that's not what I'm looking for it's more about get the look right but that's subjective what I think looks great I'm sure other people will hate and vise verser but that's what in my eyes this whole scene is about… making something that speaks to you and not conforming to anyone else's ideas of what does or doesn't work, ?Man lol Having gone off on a bit of a tangent yes I'm quite sure you're right and it will drive quite horribly

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top
Fully agree about doing your own thing..  what ever any one else thinks.

Back to the top

Quick update, removed my driveshaft and took it to work to start the process of shortening by 20mm , spent about an hour after work so nearly done just got to make up a welding jig tomorrow and find a correct size bit of tube and away we go And before anyone gets over excited this is a mock up and short term solution before I spend the £300 + getting some made. Have gone for a step in each half so the shaft isn’t just relying on the weld and tube so as belt and braces as I could think of.
Anyway this where I’m at so far

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top

Top mount / camber plate.
Made this earlier, with the 17" wheels the car doesn't sit so low and the 20mm off the the width each side I thought these might be the way forward. This is a prototype so will try it tomorrow and see where we're at ?

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top

Quick update ( again ) more shiny things !!!

Oh and a tyre

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top
Damn you and your fabricating skills!

I still struggle with Super Glue. Seriously WTH? It goes exactly where you don't want it, turns white and then what was supposed to be stuck isn't. Oh and I always stick at least one finger to something in the process!

Least my welds work………. hopefully  O_o

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Superglue is basically witchcraft in a bottle and always out to get you, never trust it, it’s only goal in life is to stick you to anything it can !
How’s  mynx doing did you manage to get her straight again?

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top
It's a bit like Cling Film! I have a theory that only females can work cling film, it ends up sticking to itself and nothing else. Costs more in cling film to cover a bowl than the half a can of beans does.

Thanks for asking! She's just been tickled with a bit clear coat for a minute to stave of any rust forming whilst I wait for dryer warmer weather. Luckily the dent isn't out of keeping with the rest of the car. Which, to be honest, is partly why she ended up as she is. As my daily I didn't want to be too worried about scratches and car park dinks etc.

I'll probably end up trying to blend a 2k clear into the wing. Going to be a bit of a pain but far easier than matching paint I suppose  :)

Are you going with the adjustable top mounts rather than the tower lifters on the front then?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

It's a bit like Cling Film! I have a theory that only females can work cling film, it ends up sticking to itself and nothing else. Costs more in cling film to cover a bowl than the half a can of beans does.

Thanks for asking! She's just been tickled with a bit clear coat for a minute to stave of any rust forming whilst I wait for dryer warmer weather. Luckily the dent isn't out of keeping with the rest of the car. Which, to be honest, is partly why she ended up as she is. As my daily I didn't want to be too worried about scratches and car park dinks etc.

I'll probably end up trying to blend a 2k clear into the wing. Going to be a bit of a pain but far easier than matching paint I suppose  :)

Are you going with the adjustable top mounts rather than the tower lifters on the front then?

Ian
Well I’ve tried and decided that I would really actually like some suspension.
I don’t expect much with those tyres but with the camber plates they actually mount the shock lower than an original.

That ends up with no movement at all.

So I’ve modified my raised mounts to get the max camber I can from them and having coupled them with the 20mm width reduction I’ve got a low ride with arch clearance! Just not entirely sure I like it that far under the arch so I might have to do some metal work on the arch instead lol
I did buy a new drive shaft from Euro’s the other week as it was only £50 so I can put everything back and I’ve got some spare wishbones so not a biggy just need to get a ticket on it now so I can move on.

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top

borednow said

Ian

borednow
Hello Mate,
  Came across these the other week at work (well probably about 6 months ago ) and was going to get them black chromed but as it turns out it would cost more than i want to spend so I thought of you and the mynx, I'm not trying to flog you anything would just cost you the price of postage and maybe a pint at the AGM (if my car is ever ready ) Anyway just a thought  :thumbs:
Oh I think they're for a Porsche 924, don"t get excited though They"re not real lol

123 views (1.52 Mb)

135 views (1.46 Mb)

111 views (1.44 Mb)

101 views (1.45 Mb)

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top
She's coming along then.

Me likely the look so far. Them top mounts are looking proper good too.

I'll chuck you a message

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.