Skip navigation

The Quest for the Mars Red Cabby !

Back to the top

Hey Hairy, I think we got that from frosts, I think there's a club you can join and then get a discount I hear lol. I have been spending furiously ( which could be hard to explain if my Mrs finds out but what the hell ! New fake arches, new fake chin spoiler and new fake wheels! Can you see a pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top

jamie8v said

Hey Hairy, I think we got that from frosts, I think there's a club you can join and then get a discount I hear lol. I have been spending furiously ( which could be hard to explain if my Mrs finds out but what the hell ! New fake arches, new fake chin spoiler and new fake wheels! Can you see a pattern

Haha sounds like you got it under control ;)

Nice new wheels!  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Can't beat a bit of fake stuff!

I have a set of Lenso's. They're currently on my Corrolla, bit of advice, be careful with the centre caps! They cross thread very easily (mine were second hand and they were all cross threaded) make sure the threads are clean and add some copper slip or silicone spray to the threads otherwise they like to corode in place. The starting bit of the thread also wears and stops them from pinning on freely. If they get to that point a bit of plumbers 'stop leak' tape (I hate it when I forget the names of stuff) helps them bite and stay on!

Interesting info on the lip bending. Weirdly my cabby doesn't have a lip all the way around. Only at the top third!

I did a similar thing with the tin top. But that was because the lips had rusted and rather than repairing the lips I cut both the lips off bit by bit ans welded the two skins together. Yup I got burnt and had lots of black smoke too. Fun times  :lol:

Looking good so far. Very jealous of your welding skills  :thumbs:  I've been learning on my project. Getting better I think but still a bit inconsistent. I fabbed up an engine bracket the other day and found it far easier welding the thicker metal. Is this normally the case?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Hi Ian sorry for the slow response been a busy week, welding is mainly practice and welding heavier material is always easier as you can crank it up and don't have to worry about blowing holes lol. As a very basic guide always try and keep your torch about 45 degrees to surface you are welding, Always clean the material both sides as well as you can and if you are welding thin material weld backwards i.e. Towards yourself so the new weld is flowing into the weld you just made and I'm sure you already know this but pulse the weld like doing a series of tacks all overlapping and try and keep every one uniform in time and size. Going to work on Saturday to do the right rear arch and the two fronts then I can try my wheels on. I will definitely coper grease the centres thanks for that top tip, I would have been swearing at myself in the future without that so well done that man ! I have loads of ideas in the pipe line at the moment, I want to delete the side repeaters ( side indicators)from the front wings and as I am fitting early side trim instead of the late cabby style I have some amber LED's on a strip so I will drill 5 or six little holes in the trim and mount the LED's behind so they can be my MOT required indicator without spoiling the retro look, not sure if it will work so we will see. I bought some Koni adjustable inserts for a Mazda RX7 and will be fitting them inside my cheap nasty eBay coilovers to make them damper adjustable! Yey and finally I have removed my injectors this evening and will be making use of the new sonic cleaning bath at work tomorrow as idle is a little ruff still since the car went into hibernation last summer. I'll be sure to let you know how I got on Before the weekend is out. J

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top
Thanks for the tips on the welding. Nope didn't know about the pulsing bit. Most of mine has been spots that I gradually join up. Also the bit about welding back to the weld I did is a thought. I shall be trying all the tips out. Cheers mate  :thumbs:

Indicators sounds like a plan. I had my MOT guy reaching for his book on regulations with the Derby. It doesn't have repeaters but I removed the bumpers and put the indicators into spot lights. We must have spent about 20 minutes with the book making sure it was legal! Your LED's sound like a good idea  :cool:

Interesting about the RX7 shocks. hmmmmmmm  :P

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Well…another day another wheel arch, well another 3 to be precise. Wanted to try my new wheels on for size so I spent the day cutting out the right hand rear arch lip and welding it up ( plus repairing rust at the front of the arch ) then rolled the front arches and finally fitted the wheels. I'm pretty happy with it, I know it won't be to everybody's taste but that's the beauty of VW's! Ineed to do some final tweaking of the front arches and camber to get it a bit lower but all in all I'm happy

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top
Looks good, them wheels look big! What's the specs on them? 16's?

Reminds me of Clive when he was done. Although my camber didn't push the edge of the tyre under the edge of the lip, but with 195/45 on a 15" and with the coils wound down he didn't lean or, well actually to be perfectly honest, the suspension didn't actually move so I had no problems, even though only a Rizla would actually fir between the tyre and the arch lip   O_o  :P  :thumbs:

Hope you've got a bit more suspension travel than that!  :lol:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Looking very nice on the new shoes  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

Thanks fellas, I have broken the mk1 law and put it on a set 17's !! Lol but the underside of the cabby is already lower than a tin top due to all the reinforcements and I wanted to try and fill the arches without dragging the bottom of the car down the road. They are 7.5 x 17 " and I'm running 195/40/17's  all round. I still have to finalise the arch shape and may get a bit machined off the inside of the wheels to tuck them in a bit more if I have clearance against the shocks. I would have liked to go for 7's if I'm honest but these wheels are only available in 7.5 so I thought I'd risk it.
Here's a couple of pics of the arch repairs I had to do before I could finish the rear arch.

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top

Have been in touch with GAZ Shocks and they have said they will make a pair of adjustable  front coilover inserts to my spec for £70 + VAT EACH !! So should turn my nasty eBay coilies into something usable for a couple of hundred squid !! Got to be worth a go
Also mocked up my wheel arches with the aid of a couple of willing volunteers

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top
Nice, I did wonder if you'd gone 17's. They can work it just depends on the wheels.

That's what I like to see, a family project!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Nice wheels Jamie

That price from GAZ is an utter bargain I reckon!!  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

I know what a steal !! I may have to go into production  lol

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top

Hi guys, been busy doing family stuff over the Easter bank holiday but found a few hours today to replace the bushes in my gear linkage.
I also had time to make my prototype side trim / led side repeater so I can remove the factory ones and make it look that bit more period.

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top
That looks like it works. Nice  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Cheap coilover stripped to so I can send the dimensions to GAZ for my new adjustable inserts ! Yey  ! I need to make some short bump stops though , thank you to Ian for the heads up on that one, then I can have a bit of material removed from the inside of the wheels to tuck them under the arches a bit more 🤞

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top
Great bog mate! Love the work in your arches

Back to the top

I may have been a bit quiet but as most of you know I've been pondering what to do with my suspension and wheel set up. Well today I made a real start and it's going quite well I think. I'll paste in a link to my other thread which should explain

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.