Skip navigation

Cabby Gti

Back to the top
Been putting off starting this but I have threads started all over the place sorry mods, I'm just running scared in case the missus sees it .Because I have a g60'd mk1 that I'm supposed to be selling to buy a t25. Anyway it's a dx gti with big bumpers not sure if it's a clipper kit or what it is to be honest , it's Helios blue Which I need two wings for by the way if anybody has any let me know

b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Nice base for a project, what plans have you got for it?

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

So first things first interior was filthy, I'm not the tidiest person as regards having my car gleaming and your not allowed fart in the car, but how you could let your cars interior get so

dirty

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

So my cousin the fifteen minute man with his trusty wet and dry vac got to work

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

Cheers jos , not sure I was thinking tdi as I have Ahu engine, but plan on selling my g60 tin top, also have a 1.8T plus a 2 litre g60 engines . I do a fair bit of driving during summer 400 miles or so most weekends so I'm not sure about mph on the dx engine . Also should o be adding petrol additive or am I ok to use unleaded

Back to the top
You don't need to use a petrol additive as all water cooled VW from 1974 had hardened valves so they are ok for unleaded petrol, the GTi DX engine cars run better on Super unleaded or you need to retard the ignition timing to run normal unleaded but I found my car was down on power, used more petrol and ran lumpy when I tried normal unleaded petrol so I now stick with super unleaded petrol.

It is a VW big bumper kit fitted to your car, VW fitted them to all cabriolets from 1988, not sure why everyone calls it a clipper kit as it was fitted to the GTi and clipper cabriolets?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

The driver seat is fecked so with a bit of help from the three musketeers Kenneth, chortle, dean I got hold of a trimmer who had some material he kept from lots of other seat repairs.Hoarding is great. I should be getting the material next week

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

Cheers mark , super unleaded that's good to know

Back to the top
Those seats have come up really well. Once mine steps back from a daily driver I may have to rip out the interior and give it a good clean. 

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

Yes it's one of the those karcher machines. There a nice seat too

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

Eventually I got car to start , fuel pump relay was missing and I changed timing belt and it started exhaust is fecked but I got a centre section from a mate which I have to fit. Also have to do ignition timing as it's idling very low, my battery died so I had to leave it. Thanks for help folks with timing marks.

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

loads of switches and bits missing from the dash but as I'm a hoarder I had everything

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

I plan on putting these wheels on which are on my tin top, Ronal 16s I believe there called . I also have a set of castellets for it

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

Got these from mate of mine not sure what there off any ideas folks?

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

Wiring vdo gauges. I have some gauges I need to hook up boost , temp, and tachometer. I'm want to feed the wires from engine bay for these into the car . Then I can put my lower dash back in . I've had water coming in thru firewall, anyhow how many lengths of cable do I need going into the engine bay? Also the bulbs can they be got with the green tint also the temp gauge where do  I hook this up to? Do I need a different sender than the original ? All these gauges are going in my G60 engine by the way, thanks folks .Also what colour cables do I need to keep everything or in the engine bay.?

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

The top pic is the back of the temp gauge

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

Just checking I did a compression test when engine was cold 160,170,160,170, are those figures ok?

Back to the top

gafo said

Just checking I did a compression test when engine was cold 160,170,160,170, are those figures ok?

Yes that seems ok.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Cabby Gti

Cheers mark . I wasn't sure If they where a tad low

Back to the top
Nice one gafo good to see another cabby on this side of the water!

Looking forward to seeing it at some of our display stands at a few shows this year.

Keep up the good work.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.