Skip navigation

Campaign project on the 'Bay

Back to the top
golf Cabrio I was thinking that as long as the rusty old saw and a few sheep were thrown in then £2k was reasonable!:lol:

Back to the top

Saulty said

golf Cabrio I was thinking that as long as the rusty old saw and a few sheep were thrown in then £2k was reasonable!:lol:
Prefer a bit of sirloin myself..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Deandubya said

Saulty said

We've not seen what's in the back of that beast! 🤔
Looking at the state of this one it may have created its own eco system over the last quarter of a century sat in that barn.  😱

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

Deandubya said

Saulty said

:lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

Deandubya said

Saulty said

We've not seen what's in the back of that beast! 🤔
Looking at the state of this one it may have created its own eco system over the last quarter of a century sat in that barn.  😱

Hmmm, it would be interesting to see what state the back of it is in. The picture of the interior makes me think that the new eco system may have been kept outside! I would be interested to see how solid the car is underneath etc and there must be a reason it was parked up in 1990!

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

Deandubya said

Golf Cabrio said

Deandubya said

Golf Cabrio said

Right then, sit down and let me have a go!  :lol:Well as an ex car salesman from VW at that time I'll tell you what concerns me about this one.

Firstly as already mentioned it's not a 'Campaign' in my opinion full stop.
Personal import most likely but hard to prove without the paperwork.

Secondly the seller is trade and has either got a large barn full of trade bull or he's been sniffing the paraffin again.
He's not mentioned the the mileage anywhere.
He waffles on like verbal diarrhea even mentioning a world tour, stone me he's not Keith is he?
He bought it 3 years ago but to quote him, "THE PREVIOUS OWNER CAN NOT FIND THE HISTORY FILE AT THIS POINT IN TIME." (Oh there's a shock)

So as you might guess I'm not feeling the love for this one especially at that price.
Looking at it when someone buys that there're in for a top to bottom full restoration.
So let's say 5k for the car plus 8,10 maybe 12 or more on the restore depending on the standard the owner expects.

I just feel if someone is in it as an investment which counts me out, fully restored there's better for far less.  ;)Don't forget it's not exactly what's supposed to be!  :oBTW.
It's great to be back!  :lol:
Right on the money Mike! :thumbs: how you doing bud?

Hey hi Dean and thanks for asking.
Well considering back in early Jan I was close to death I'm doing extremely well right now.  ;)I've got to take things slowly but I'm getting there and I'll soon be on Rehabilitation for at least 3 weeks which will be a big bonus.

Just hoping to be fit by spring so I can take one of my Golf's to play a round of golf!  :lol:Mike  :thumbs:
:o Bloody hell Mike.. didn't realise things were that bad ! sounds like the road to recovery now though :thumbs: good to hear! speaking of Golf… i'm due for a round too!! last played just after Christmas.. dodgy front 9 then 4 pars & a birdie & the back 9 :lol: must have been a fluke! Not much in the way of driving the golf this weekend due to the forecast.. cheeky spin after work later definitely to pick my son up… Have a good weekend matey :thumbs: 

Hi Dean,

Well they were thinking I was a gonna for a while there but I'm famous with my family and friends for liking a challenge so here I am.
Mind you I don't what to try that again I can tell you!

As for playing golf, well I've not played for two years so that will be a laugh to say the least.

Like the two old men stood on the tee.
As one teed off he said to his playing partner, "did you see where my ball went?
His mate turned round and said" yes but I can't remember now!

Have a great weekend mate.
I quite often quote the 'did you see where my ball went?' Persisting down here in Wales, had a bit of a house clean.. no pinafore , Wife's crashed.. son's on the Xbox, as his footie cancelled - waterlogged pitch. But it's transpiring that they're a few key players short.. naughty. My daughter is keeping herself occupied trashing her bedroom until this afternoon having a bowling sesh & I'll be enjoying the 6 Nations!

Back to the top
Regarding the red "Campaign" - would agree it's not one - it's a misunderstood term. Cos it's got Pirellis and it's an A plate it must be one. Seems likely import as mentioned earlier.

Only would be an A plate car being registered       03 August 83. 4 days deadlier it would be a Y plate. To my knowledge Campaigns  were registered ( well after August- into October 83). The two Campaigns I've owned have been October registered.

Pretty expensive, but a white GTi sold as a "Campaign" for restoration went for £4900 on eBay, was registered 01/08/83 and was a DW chassis no - so obviously not a true Campaign. 

Barn finds - mmmmm. A very overused term these days 😄

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top

adolf said

Regarding the red "Campaign" - would agree it's not one - it's a misunderstood term. Cos it's got Pirellis and it's an A plate it must be one. Seems likely import as mentioned earlier.

Only would be an A plate car being registered       03 August 83. 4 days deadlier it would be a Y plate. To my knowledge Campaigns  were registered ( well after August- into October 83). The two Campaigns I've owned have been October registered.

Pretty expensive, but a white GTi sold as a "Campaign" for restoration went for £4900 on eBay, was registered 01/08/83 and was a DW chassis no - so obviously not a true Campaign. 

FYI
I wouldn't take much notice of whether it's a Y or A registered car to be honest as back then some buyers would take their new car straight away.
Where others would insist on waiting for the new August the 1st plate, even if the were paying for it as far back as May for example.

June, July and December were generally the kiss of death for new car sales and therefor commission for us car salesman.
We'd make it up in Aug/Sept but try tell your bank that back then when you had a whooping mortgage to pay!  O_o  

But if dealers were able to sweet talk VW and get their pre-ordered cars out the factory first anything was possible depending on the needs of the buyer.
Dovercourt, London for example.  ;)

I think in general the words "Campaign' and 'Pirelli' are all to often misused or just thrown in for good luck and lack of knowledge.  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

adolf said

I'm with you 100% on the barn find term! I have spent a lot of my working life working on arable farms/grain plants all over the country and back in the late 80's and well into the 90's you would regularly see a barn with several old cars in them that had been parked up when the mot ran out or the car broke down. A look around the cars and the tax disc and some cars had been off the road for years and some had only just been parked up. I still visit lots of farms but you rarely see an old car parked up nowadays and the last one I saw was a Bentley that was still in use and the one before that was a black 1983 Golf GTI dumped outside. I did try desperatly to buy it but the owner wouldn't sell it and the last time I saw it it was surrounded by stinging nettles!

Back to the top
Looks like it made £2,500.

Hope the engine, gearbox and the complete original interior are in good nick for the buyers sake. :o
Or there's going to be loads of this  :'(   :ocf_emoticons__eusa_doh:  :ocf_emoticons__eusa_pray:  :banghead:   :ocf_emoticons__withstupid:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.