Skip navigation

Campaign project on the 'Bay

Back to the top

Back to the top
Can't help thinking it's a tad expensive…

Back to the top
Yes, I should have put 'in my opinion' at the end of my sentence.  :)

It'd need to be very clean for me to pay that kind price for one of them.  O_o

Back to the top
Its doesn't have a sunroof so won't be a genuine campaign,  (although that's more appealing to me )

It does seem relatively origonal though apart from the dubious colour coding.

I can see that selling at that price 

Back to the top
If it is a pirelli, didn't they come colour coded like that?

How many were RHD?

Back to the top
It's possibly a German import 'Pirelli' edition (even it is RHD), which was their slant on our 'Campaign'… The continental car didn't have a sunroof, but in certain colours including Mars Red, was available with body colour coded spats/bumpers and the lower side stripes deleted.

The dealer sticker looks like 'Ratcliffe Bros', there's a small independent by that name still listed in Cheddar… according to their site they would have been operating in the early 80's.

If the number plate is original to the car, the PV part denotes it was first registered in Ipswich, not a million miles away from either Ratcliffes nor the eBay seller in Guilford… could have some local history.

Back to the top

Raul said

If it is a pirelli, didn't they come colour coded like that?

How many were RHD?

Ha ha, I think you're maybe right… great minds! (but slow fingers typing)

Back to the top
very interesting Mr Bond… :lol::thumbs:

Back to the top
Right then, sit down and let me have a go!  :lol:

Well as an ex car salesman from VW at that time I'll tell you what concerns me about this one.

Firstly as already mentioned it's not a 'Campaign' in my opinion full stop.
Personal import most likely but hard to prove without the paperwork.

Secondly the seller is trade and has either got a large barn full of trade bull or he's been sniffing the paraffin again.
He's not mentioned the the mileage anywhere.
He waffles on like verbal diarrhea even mentioning a world tour, stone me he's not Keith is he?
He bought it 3 years ago but to quote him, "THE PREVIOUS OWNER CAN NOT FIND THE HISTORY FILE AT THIS POINT IN TIME." (Oh there's a shock)

So as you might guess I'm not feeling the love for this one especially at that price.
Looking at it when someone buys that there're in for a top to bottom full restoration.
So let's say 5k for the car plus 8,10 maybe 12 or more on the restore depending on the standard the owner expects.

I just feel if someone is in it as an investment which counts me out, fully restored there's better for far less.  ;)

Don't forget it's not exactly what's supposed to be!  :o

BTW.
It's great to be back!  :lol:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
the picture of him pulling the 'car out' shows steel rims on there… then they've been changed to Pirelli's..?? :dry:  no log book, so how does he know it's deffo 2 owners?? 

Back to the top

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
sweetmk1dub  i see what you said about the colour coding… :thumbs:

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

And the red one is an import, you can just see the black rear seatbelt plastic restraint things on the metalwork under the window 

That's interesting… didn't realise the hidden significance of the seat belt clips, good bit of info. to know. Cheers.

Back to the top

bacardincoke said

Early-1800 said

And the red one is an import, you can just see the black rear seatbelt plastic restraint things on the metalwork under the window 

That's interesting… didn't realise the hidden significance of the seat belt clips, good bit of info. to know. Cheers.

Every day's a school day!

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I just looked at the other one listed above and the story + the car has more holes in it than the Liverpool defense this season.  O_o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Volkswagen-Golf-GTI-1600-mk1-Barn-Find/172540925173?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D94f1a28fc4b047a2a59cf02f87c1fe55%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D162405627873

"ALL ORIGINAL AND OWNED FOR 35 YEARS."
Well I'm liking it so far.  :)

BARN FIND.
So he/she drove it for the best part of 123,000 miles, parked it in his 'Barn' and then suddenly forgot where he parked it?
Do me a favor please.  :dry:

LAST DRIVEN 15 YEARS AGO.
So that would be 2002, doable, doable if the person could find the bloody barn.  :|

WAS STORED IN BARN 25 YEARS DUE TO TRADE IN OFFER OF £300 BACK IN THE YEAR 1990, SO I PREFERRED TO STORE AWAY.
So it's been stored in the barn that he couldn't find on his property since 1992.
But he was taxing it through 07-1997, take a look for yourselves.

IMG_0236.PNG

Well I'm not going to mention what sort of condition it's in but does anyone want a red door?

IMG_0238.PNG

The sellers name is Vicky and she states the following: "THE CAR IS STRAIGHT, NEVER BEEN IN ACCIDENT, NO PARTS MISSING ETC .. WILL NEED TRAILER TO TAKE AWAY FOLLOWED BY  A FULL RESTORATION."

Great to here such classic trade terms as "Straight, never, missing" being used in such a natural way by those outside it!  ;)

Back to the top
This is five grand's worth of plop in my personal and humble opinion!!

Caveat Emptor…

Buyer Beware of whether this  is a genuine Campaign by asking for the VIN and photographic evidence thereof.

Back to the top
This is five grand's worth of plop in my personal and humble opinion!!

Caveat Emptor…

Buyer Beware of whether this  is a genuine Campaign by asking for the VIN and photographic evidence thereof.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Now that's what I call a barn find! It's in a barn, covered in s**t that you find in barns, pushed to one side, gathering dust, becoming a storage area and forgotten until somebody turns up to do some work and says "can I buy that old Golf" prompting the farmer to look on eBay and realise it might fetch £6k even if it's only worth £2k at the most!

Back to the top
Saulty

That 2k you mention, does that include the barn and all its contents? 🤔😂👍

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

Campaign project on the 'Bay

Saulty said

Early-1800 said

Now that's what I call a barn find! It's in a barn, covered in s**t that you find in barns, pushed to one side, gathering dust, becoming a storage area and forgotten until somebody turns up to do some work and says "can I buy that old Golf" prompting the farmer to look on eBay and realise it might fetch £6k even if it's only worth £2k at the most!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.