Skip navigation

Turtles 20v tintop quattro

Back to the top
Brilliant, I followed a mk2 that was built on ClubGTI merging a Leon and a Mk2 Golf and it was brilliant. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Back to the top

Okay so ive been a bit busy with work so only been able to get a quick hour on the cars on an evening so havent had much to update you on.
glad to see so many positive responses from you all.

Trying to remember where i left but i had a bit of a hold up whilst i sorted out a frame to put the golf shell on as next step was chopping the floor out.

boshka!

Floor out now i need to trim the inner arches as i will probably be using a bit of the audi inner arch

I had a mate to talk to tonight as id worked over to sort his brakes so i even have a picture of my handsome self for you all

Now that i was just left with what i needed, relatively, it was time to clean up the edges as plasma cutter struggled with all the wax oil on the panels

Found a nice rotten corner underneath some filler that a previous owner had nicely hidden so ive that to sort aswell. But to be fair to the car its the only bit of rot on it.

The plastic arch trims had been sikaflexed on wich for sake of £25 for a new arch i wasnt messing about. Plus i will most likely need to extend the arches slightly.

seeing the condition of the inner arches they werent going to make it anyway.

Ive spent some time tonight trimming the audi down and drilling spot welds. Ugh! Ill most likely be spending the next week drilling spot welds too as i have to remove the front seat bases in one piece and hand brake mount so they can be positioned correctly once the floor has been shortened and strengthening put down.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Re:

Jos-mk1 said

Brilliant, I followed a mk2 that was built on ClubGTI merging a Leon and a Mk2 Golf and it was brilliant. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Do you have a link to that thread? Would be interested to see that. Thanks

Back to the top
Wow, no messing about here!

Looking forward to checking out the progress on this one

Back to the top

Very impressed and jealous of the facilities you have to work with. Can't wait to see more pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Coming on nicely, can't wait to see this develop

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hey folks.
havent had much time spent on the golf as weve extended the garage and getting some more ramps in so the golf can just sit on a ramp in corner.

Ive decided to shorten the audi where the front seats bolt as there is plenty of oppertunity for strengthening.
To do this ive had to carefully remove the bases for the seats finding and drilling out all the spot welds. Ugh!

By doing this ill be able to reinforce the seam and then the seat base will double up as extra strength aswell.
So all ready to shortened but i will be doing that week after next once the ramps are in.

Back to the top

Now then!
Had a few hour spent on it today.
Been busy extending and painting and fitting new ramps but now thats outa way i can crack on.
todays task was to shorten the audi floor pan so that the wheels sit where the need to be.

first job was to cut off the old inner sills as i am using the golfs sills, the idea being that when its done no structural parts have been chopped

My phone died at this point so we miss a bit, the inner sills are now off, whilst it was charging i marked up where i will be cutting the floor to bring it together.
To make sure it was dead straight i used sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads.

That would have been nice. But in reality i nipped next door to the engineers on cadge.

GADOOSH!

It was handy that the floors could tip over, made light work for cleaning the underseal off

Right ready to go back together. I put some slits in some of the panel so it all fits back together nicely tha sees

After a hell of a lot of measuring and adjustment ive got the 2 halves tacked back in place, there is a slight over lap so i can weld it twice, once on top and once underneath for extra strength.

So thats where im at now.
hopefully ill be able to offer the shell onto it next week and have a quick trim around edges to get in into situ.

Back to the top

Ive been a bit quiet on here recently but i have been working at it when i can.
admittedly i felt defeated for a bit and im in the middle of a house move.

Ive been doing a lot of trimming, offering the golf onto the floor, strapping it back to ramp and send it back up for more trimming.

A lot of pulling and lifting but this is where im at now

Looking at it with the back in situ the wheels arent too much wider than the arches would sit

Hoping to be welding up in next couple of weeks

Back to the top
Damn me sideways!

MOT next week then? Coming along nicely!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Re:

borednow said

Damn me sideways!

Ian

ðŸ~, thanks man.
its funny you should say that i was asking whos logging on to test it this morning

Back to the top
I'm loving what you're doing, keep it up  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

turtleturner said

borednow said

Damn me sideways!

Ian

ðŸ~, thanks man.
its funny you should say that i was asking whos logging on to test it this morning

It'd be a brave man…….perhaps find someone who's about to retire?

;-)

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Don't know if anyone is here still, I've been quiet for a while, had a bit of a family shake up so been occupied but now I'm back, I have the car permanently on a ramp and its not coming off till its done.

Ive been busy doing the last of the donkey work, going round drilling out hundreds of spot welds and trimming the final pieces so the 2 fit together nicely.

Ive got the sound deadening to remove and then the next task is to clean all the metal up ready for welding

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

193 views (111 Kb)

164 views (84 Kb)

167 views (69 Kb)

175 views (111 Kb)

Back to the top

turtleturner said

164 views (84 Kb)

Great thread and update. Some really interesting work going on here.  :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Back to the top
Can't wait to see this beast when it's all done and ready to go! 😉
Mind you I bet you can't either. :)

Sent from my Smartphone 📱

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Getting there mate.

I like the persistence  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Thanks guys, it's easy to be persistent when you can either do it or scrap 2 perfectly good cars.

Ive put in some time every night this week grinding and cleaning, I think this was worse than drilling spot welds, was just hard work getting the seam sealer and underseal off and then getting all the paint off.

But it's done and I even had time to chuck the front end on and get the shell positioned ready for fabricating and welding. I will have to trim the wings a little in order to get to the strut top bolts but everything else lines up great.
Can relax a little now

210 views (104 Kb)

135 views (84 Kb)

129 views (94 Kb)

Back to the top

I don't know why the photos have come out at all angles, must have taken the pictures in a mirror

Back to the top

I’m getting more excited about this motor than my own. Some top work and will be a great car when done.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.