Skip navigation

What did you do to your Mk1 Golf Today ?

Back to the top
For the Cup washers, I went to my local True-Value hardware store (NOT THE Lumber Wharehouses)

They have a great selection of PICK-A-NUT bins,  where I  get them as a Countersunk Trim Washer in Stainless, along with a Stainless Screw or two the same size…..

Don't know the size, but I know that store by heart as I have know the owner for about 30 years…..

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Well the other day I decided to fix my door check using basic tools that most have…. Yes I could of welded it as I have a Gas Torch as well as a Wire Welder…

But as I drive a LHD taking it all apart to do the correct fix was prevented by a bad back and total dissassembly of my Daily Driver.

From this:

to this:

Yes I was on Massive Drugs for a Back injury, that I took with some Jamesons…. Yes I over sprayed, (drugs)…. :) but nothing I can't clean up… The nicest part was driving it yesterday, and the door actually stayed open for the first time in about 5 years….

The Previous owner backed up the car with the door open, catching it on something and Breaking one of the welds of the check loose…. about 5 years ago the other weld finally gave up.

Yes there is a SS rivet at the top and a screw at the bottom, that is because my "POP" riveter broke…..
Hey it was only 30 years old…

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
when i originally bought my car it had a cracked OS mirror… got one… didn't realise at the time the differences in Mk1 mirrors.. so i got a Mk1 mirror… which didn't fit right, showing the glass holder on corners… so i've had one for a few months but not got around to changing it… today was the day… :thumbs:Off with the old…

on with the new..

Back to the top
20170311_170948.jpg Finally got round to fitting roof hinge covers. And then looking at sizing up the cup washer to make look pretty. No8 size in brass does not look quite right so gonna try No6 in stainless. Fitted chrome waist trim to give caster a new look.
Now to find out why he stopped turning over. Suspect earth's and lack of use..so battery removed for charging and starting to clean connections and repair any bad connections.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Well to be honest absolutely nothing yet as he's still hibernating.  :(

But with my three weeks Rehab coming up soon the best I can hope for is the middle of April before I can wake him up.

So here's a picture of him the night before he was put to bed.

IMG_0207.JPG

Bless him, I hope he's slept well because we've got some mountains to climb!  :)

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

Deandubya said

when i originally bought my car it had a cracked OS mirror… got one… didn't realise at the time the differences in Mk1 mirrors.. so i got a Mk1 mirror… which didn't fit right, showing the glass holder on corners… so i've had one for a few months but not got around to changing it… today was the day… :thumbs:Off with the old…

on with the new..

Hi Deandubya
On the mirror was you able to remove the glass? Or just overlay new piece.? Also do you have mirror fitted without gasket to Door frame?  Just photo doesnt show one very well.
Morning KC.. did the gaskets & clay bar last year matey.. not a half job man me bud..

Not sure if these load up from tappitytalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Oops.. as for the glass removal.. that took time & patience.. no BS!! I bought a whole unit, prized the base out of the case then the fun began.. basically got a hair dryer & a butter knife.. patiently heated the whole mirror, started at the one side & literally bit by bit, concentrated on gently probing the plastic & glass with the knife, heating the adhesive set & slowly working the knife to break the seal! It took a little while but did it.. woohoo.. cleaned it up & got some 3M double sided tape.. & kept it safe until yesterday.. lol did this before & the wife, while wiping up put a saucepan on the side of the sink unit, where the glass was, it stuck to the bottom of the 'pan, she picked it up & the glass fell to the floor!! Imagine how I felt..

Back to the top
They make replacement glass for the mirrors.  The edges are extremely sharp as they usually don't sand or polish the edges.

I had to replace the glass on my 90 Cabriolet as the things had the black spots of death, and when I used them I didn't know if I was being attacked by black rocks, or I was driving and throwing stones.

In the DIY I have a how do I take that side mirror apart.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7068757-Ever-want-to-take-the-mirror-glass-out-of-your-flag-mirror&p=86622489#post86622489

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Decided that I needed to take the Radiator Fan out to re-spray it, it was dull and tired….. so While it takes me but 5 minutes to remove it, (my-d-i-y, on cutting the radiator Shroud tin for easier removal) made the job easier, till I forgot the last time I had it apart, I forgot to Never-seize the Fan Shaft…. so 20 minutes of soaking in PB-Blaster and  couple of smacks with the handle of a Screw driver… it was off to the Races…  Then since I had the Fan shroud off, I cleaned it and waxed it.. as I was looking at the MAF, it too was Dirty and dull, so I took that off and Painted it Shiney as well….  Had to wait for a Kiddie to come home so I could run and get a new air cleaner…. The filter I had was for a different car… and I thought that it was the Cabby K&N filter…. opps.

http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/32213-Triming-your-Radiator-Shroud

And I only replace the top two Screws that hold the Shroud to the Radiator, as they hold it tight.
If I can't fix something and have left over parts, it ain't worth my time :)

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Don't even know why put mirrors on mk1 golfs and cabriolets  because ya can't see anything at all in them

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

They make replacement glass for the mirrors.  The edges are extremely sharp as they usually don't sand or polish the edges.

I had to replace the glass on my 90 Cabriolet as the things had the black spots of death, and when I used them I didn't know if I was being attacked by black rocks, or I was driving and throwing stones.

In the DIY I have a how do I take that side mirror apart.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7068757-Ever-want-to-take-the-mirror-glass-out-of-your-flag-mirror&p=86622489#post86622489
Hey Brian.. didn't really see replacement glass to buy.. I really did search.. even though golfcabrio sent me a German link with measurements to compare but think these were made in house if you get my meaning.. also seen those pages on the Bentley book, not sure if Euro cabbys got the screw underneath, I got 2 holes but not sure if that's for drainage?? Think so… when the whole mirror & linkage is off the car it's relatively easy to dismantle as above, getting the glass off is a different scenario for sure… needs to be treated with big respect.

Back to the top

Just having another look & the pics you have shows the glass 'plate'/holder as a complete unit & the adjusting mechanism behind this… on my cabby the black glass base/holder has the adjusting mechanism inset.. so a hole in the base/holder basically & attached directly to the glass…

Back to the top

I have just removed what appears to be the remains of what can only be described as a tow bar from my convertible yes a tow bar people ! Each to there own I suppose and if you really want a tow bar on your cabby then it's a free world but for the love of God who just bolts one straight through the back panel!! ? No messing about trying to pick up from the chassis legs maybe where the bumper bolts on… Nooo! Just 4 bolts through the back panel
Fortunately it looks like it's never been used in anger but has still left me with 4 holes to weld up in what is otherwise a perfectly good back panel ! Ahhhh.
Rant over

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top

Took rear seats and boot Matt out stripped the side trims of as I slowly strip it for paint in a couple of weeks.

Back to the top

Deandubya said

Just having another look & the pics you have shows the glass 'plate'/holder as a complete unit & the adjusting mechanism behind this… on my cabby the black glass base/holder has the adjusting mechanism inset.. so a hole in the base/holder basically & attached directly to the glass…

I suspect that they had 2 different types of flag mirrors.
Those photos in my how-to are off my 92 cabby…..

That is the thing about bentley…..They don't include everything…..hence the how-to;s of mine ,,,, For some of the cars I have had to take apart, one guy asked me how do you know how to do it…." I said if it isn't easily determined by this half brained left handed Irishman, then I spend a dollar and go to the Junkyard and Destroy theirs before I destroy mine." To which he answered, "So if you destroy the one in the yard does it cost you?" "Yep, a dollar to get in."  "Sweet, I never thought of that."

Yes I have half a Brain.  I had a stroke about 20 years ago in the Left side of my Brain,,,,,Nice was I am left handed, so that makes me all "right" now.
As I am always in my right mind…. So you Righties are really Left Brained.  True lefties are always in their right mind….

It was a "Relatively MINOR" stroke, only took me 7 months to walk and talk….. Yes I know folks that have had worse ones, and some that never recovered…. So I make fun of only myself.  :)  Imagine the movie "Forrest Gump" and that "Forrest was on Quadludes…. that is what I sounded like for about 3 months….. My daughters said that I talked slower than one of their uncles who has a deep deep really slow Southern Drawl……

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Took rear seats and boot Matt out stripped the side trims of as I slowly strip it for paint in a couple of weeks.

Back to the top

Changed my rear lights to the SA style ones and treated my newly clean interior with Carbon Collective Repel!

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top

P0jt I recognise that carpet on the floor from eBay. Seats for sale I see. Don't need them but strange as I only seen the seats on there this morning.

Back to the top

Backinblack said

P0jt I recognise that carpet on the floor from eBay. Seats for sale I see. Don't need them but strange as I only seen the seats on there this morning.

Haha yes that's me selling the old interior!

It's also for sale on this forum.

The carpet, erm yes that's a bit whacky but it makes it easier on my knees when working on the car haha

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
After chat on facebook..I got inspired to try and sort working lack of indicaton on the water temperature of the sportline. And after 10mins of rerouting and cleaning connections I managed to solve that issue.

What amp cable are people using on the batteries..either in bay or with reposition in boot. As im looking to tidy up some more. Should I Rob the welders cable from site? Or just buy a set prepared already.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube
There are too many online users to list.