Skip navigation

Which wheels

Back to the top
I'm thinking of going back to a standard  look on my car. But I'm not sure what to go for , the car was originally a 1.1 now has a g60 engine. I have a diesel badge on the tailgate. I can only use 15" wheels as it has g60 brakes. I was thinking of changing to 256 mm brakes and buying Pirelli ps. I also have gti stripes I bought a long time ago In the cupboard. Plus gti badges . A campaign  lookalike, ha. Any other suggestions, wheel wise for standard look? Or will I go with the campaign look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
IMHO, as you are asking for them, you will get a ton of answers from Pure-ists, to Mod-ist, but the only opinion that counts is Yours, and your vision for the automobile.

So the moral of the story is use your own Judgement on what is best for you, and your outlook for the car, just be warned that your Idea of the car, isn't necessarily what is pleasing to another, or a future buyer.

The choice is up to you.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Which wheels

ThNks briano, I'm thinking the market for golf 1 is good now so I want to make  sure im spending money wisely on mods and keeping it standard looking is right way to go,

Back to the top
In that case, I'd go with a 'standard' vw 15" wheel.

Either passat winter steels (also known as G60 steels) or an OEM alloy.

But entirely up to you and go with what you like!  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

IMHO, as you are asking for them, you will get a ton of answers from Pure-ists, to Mod-ist, but the only opinion that counts is Yours, and your vision for the automobile.

So the moral of the story is use your own Judgement on what is best for you, and your outlook for the car, just be warned that your Idea of the car, isn't necessarily what is pleasing to another, or a future buyer.

The choice is up to you.

Hi Gafo,
 Briano is right- its what makes you happy at the time that counts. Its not  an original car that your thinking of making non standard, but an (already) modified 1.1 so go with what pleases you :)  
I have a 1.3 Driver, that like yours could have the (bought) swage trims and the Gti stickers on it, but I prefer the clean look-for now.
Personally I like the G60 Steels though I have Porche 'Cookie Cutters' on it which I suppose makes it a bit of a mongrel :lol:  .

Back to the top

Which wheels

Thanks folks for your input, I was partial to the ats cups, but the lacquer was starting to lift as was the lacquer on the Estorils . But I like the Ronal 16s on the car now, there a bit rarer than a lot of other wheels I've seen on golfs.I drive the car as much as I can,And I m not into show car wheels. Polished bbs etc there lovely to look at but I reckon they don't get out much .

Back to the top

Which wheels

Back again, been trying to get a set of Pirelli ps but my budget of 200 pounds isn't helping, I'm in Dublin and euro to pounds change over plus a courier from G.B ,it's adding up.What other wheels in 15"  that came from factory could I go for? I'm selling car so I want it to look standard

Back to the top

Which wheels

gafo said

Back again, been trying to get a set of Pirelli ps but my budget of 200 pounds isn't helping, I'm in Dublin and euro to pounds change over plus a courier from G.B ,it's adding up.What other wheels in 15"  that came from factory could I go for? I'm selling car so I want it to look standard

Take a look on eBay dude as there a few sets of p slots going..

Back to the top

Which wheels

Just looked only single wheels and crazy money wheels

Back to the top

Which wheels

gafo said

Just looked only single wheels and crazy money wheels

Serious? I got some in my watch list thingy..

Back to the top

Which wheels

My search yielded 3 single 14" wheels and 1 15" wheel

Back to the top
Are you 'Gersgolfs' on 'Adverts.ie'?

Even you are these are in budget + still listed despite what the seller says about a deposit having been taken… Couldn't be more that 2hrs drive from you, cash is king if you get to him first!

http://www.adverts.ie/alloys-wheels/pirelli-p-slot-alloys/9549962

Similar distance from Dublin…

http://www.adverts.ie/alloys-wheels/vw-wheels-14/10228260

In Dublin and 15"s

http://www.adverts.ie/alloys-wheels/classic-msw-wheels-4-x-100-r-15-7-jj/12148991

Back to the top
Winner for me… 15's, an hours drive away and on budget plus being Cups they are one of the best looking wheels on a MK1!

http://www.adverts.ie/alloys-wheels/ats-cups/12088492

Back to the top

Which wheels

yeah that's me gersgolfs. Had them on the car before. Not what I'm looking for.

Back to the top

Which wheels

Got a set of Pirelli p

M traded them for a set  of castellets I bought for 150 a long time ago . The part no. On the wheel is AA . Mk 2 wheels right? The cap is Single A part no. Mk 1 part ?

Back to the top
So how have you got on? Interested to see how the new wheels look when fitted.

Back to the top

Which wheels

havent done much with them just took the tyres off and did a bit of sanding on one of them

Back to the top

Which wheels

think I got to 240 grit with it that's all

Back to the top
Cleaning up a set of wheels is such a pain in the behind, but when finished and Polished looks so nice…..

When I took the clear and paint of my Tear Drops to clean them a wee bit, it was a no brainer, as I had corrosion under the clear….. Time consuming, Beer Consuming issue I think it was 2.5 to 3hrs per wheel and a couple of beers…. I think that doing it in the winter months the Beer Consumption would of been less, because I was using it as a analgesic, and a Lubricant for my bones….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Which wheels

Too true Brian , beer and sanding  to me is like bacon and eggs, beans and toast, and always nice when wheels have flat spokes like the Ps and teardrops, not sure what to do about painting the Inside of the P on the wheels? Satin , gloss or matt

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.