Skip navigation

Current GTI values

Back to the top

This should give us a good idea

The increase in £ for good examples has dragged up the cost of restoration projects. Not that long ago £3,500 would have bought a very nice GTI.

Now you need that for a restoration project. This doesn't look too rotten but would need lots of body work and has been robbed of many parts. Pop out sunroof too :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volkswagen-golf-gti-mk1-/302243170703?hash=item465f18c98f:g:hCkAAOSwXYtYvFDj&autorefresh=true

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
Looks like quite alot of rot under them wings, looks to have had a knock on the front end too, door bottom looks nailed also.

Saying that I paid 5k for my swallowtail, and that needed the front end welding.

Back to the top

Deandubya said

3K for that ?  the engine looks to have more than 36K on it, the Seat covers over the seats?  Don't get me started about the engine bay, that has been totally blackened.

Something doesn't smell right… Yes, it is nice looking, but the one photo shows a different color on the door than the Wings…. MMMMMMM

I have a 92 that with a little creativeness I can roll the speedo back to 36K  yes it is turning back to spring, and over here the Tax refunds are causing folks to go Crazy…… but then again prices go up in the spring and down in the winter….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
a 40 year old car for 3k…? i think that's pretty reasonable myself… pay peanuts you get monkeys as the saying goes :$ tax exempt too… 

Back to the top

Back to the top
Have been thinking about either aTriumph TR6 or a Mk1 GTi soft top for a few years now. Both are steadily going up in value, it's all relative to popularity. I couldn't afford either as a young lad, now I can so quiet happy to spend up to 6k on the right one, I just haven't found the right one.

Back to the top
didn't want to start a new thread, but wondering if prices on 'buying a gti' guide is relatively up to date?

states:
How much to Pay?
Obviously this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but my recommendation is to have a minimum budget of £2000. Cars under this price will be cheap for a reason, though you might uncover an owner who doesn't know what they have if you're lucky. £4000 buys you a very nice standard car in good condition, with £7000 upwards for concours candidates. Most of these later cars will usually have service history and other documents to go along with them

i bought a cabby earlier this year as the tin tops were getting too pricey for me at the time.
But know of one being sold locally and not sure what its really worth
1981 1.6 gti in lhasa green, 100k miles, been off rd for 2-3 years
pretty solid - bit of welding needed on one jacking point/floor
been in storage so covered in dust and bird do, but appears fair enough under the dirt
few bubbles on roof, below front screen, lower door panels so will need some repair/paint
engine sounds ok from cold

Heart says yeah, head says neah

anyone want to fire rough prices at me to help me make me my mind up?

Back to the top
Real hard to say what you should pay without seeing it and then it's up to the person buying it. 

I would say 3k is more of a base value for something that is reasonable, 5k for a good one with some love that had been heaped on it. Concors cars are 9k plus I would say. 

As for your opportunity then I would see what they are asking for it. If under 2k, solid and starts then likely worth it. If not solid then just walk away unless you have buckets of time and cash. But if you really want it then it is what can you afford. 

Back to the top
thanks, they are asking bit too much (£4500) so thinking £3500 not too cheeky an offer
its just some of the prices out there are getting crazy so was thinking upto £4k maybe ok, its hard to tell as asking prices are not actual agreed selling prices

saw it yesterday and going to sleep on it for another night
if it sells in meantime its not meant to be

thanks again

Back to the top
I paid 3.3k for mine 18 months ago and have spent 4.5 k on it since with a full repaint arches etc. 

It had full mot and perfectly useable at tue time but needed the repaint to survive. 

if that helps. 

Back to the top
yes thanks that helps
sounds like you got a good deal with mot etc - think its down to supply and demand - just more available in england than here in ireland
this one is a runner but with no mot, means getting tow truck to lift it so another £150 or so as way out of town
Think no harm in low fair offer tomorrow
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.