Skip navigation

Newbie in the midlands

Back to the top

Intro

Just thought I should say hi as I plan to hopefully be quite active on here over the next few months as I search for a weekend car. 
The Mrs has greenlighted the idea and coupled with an unexpected redundancy payout I find myself In a position to finally buy a mk1, something I promised myself when I first started to drive. 
I will be on the lookout for a cabby gti over the coming weeks. My aim is to buy something useable but in need of a bit of tlc. I can then spend countless hours searching for parts and awaiting the delivery of parcels before spending weekends in the garage. Sounds great at the moment but I am sure there will be stressful times ahead. 

Thanks in advance for your help, guidance and general banter!

Wes

Back to the top
Lol have fun

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Sounds like a great plan. Good time to buy too :)

Back to the top
Welcome to the club, whereabouts in the Midlands are you from? May find someone local to you who knows about a car for sale or who has one.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
I live in Kingswinford. 

Back to the top

Newbie in the midlands

I don't know to any for sale locally.
Im in Dudley they are very few around this neck of the woods except my garage and my mates and my brothers there all tin tops.
When your looking buy on body condition. And don't be fooled by a shiny coat of paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top

Newbie in the midlands

Welcome mate,
Great fun the cabbies are.
Just make sure the roof, headliner and the gubbins inbetween are ok & the rear window frame tends to rust out, which are not cheap to replace.
Replacing all the top stuff is quite expensive and time consuming.
If you want refinement look out for a Rivage model.
Power windows, power roof, heated seats too.
If you find a classic green one they are leather seats.
Post 1990 cars have power tops too.
Pre 88 models tend to be the small bumper models as VW gave the cabby a facelift in 88.
Good luck and gave fun..

Cheers

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Thanks for the welcome guys. 

I am not afraid of a project but would like something I can use straight away, a sort of rolling project I suppose. 
Ideally I would like a tin top but as a compromise I have agreed to a cabby as the Mrs likes those and will then attend shows and meets with me lol!
Once I have this in the stable and sorted I might look at getting one a kind of his and hers setup but that's a while off yet!
Hopefully going to look at a couple this weekend so will let you know how I get on. 
Apart from the roof condition is there anything specific to the cabby I should look out for?  Any help really appreciated. 

Thanks

Back to the top

Newbie in the midlands

Always check things like the boot floor, chassis legs etc for accident damage.
Rust on the rear archers, also the rear lip the hood sits into across the rear can be another rust issue.
2nd gear synchromesh can be dodgy getting a crunch between 1st and 2nd.
Make sure all electrics work, especially on pre 90 cars the horns can have an issue.
Make sure the drain holes in the scuttle are clear, feel the carpets and mats for wet or damp, that's signs of roof, windscreen or heater matrix failure..
If seats are covered take them off stained seats sign of roof leaking.
Look for outer bolster wear in drivers seat. Often collapses and you get a hoke in the fabric.
If it's not bad you can swap the cover and foams over from the passenger seat.
Makes the drivers outer bolster the passenger inner bolster and viser versa.
Check there's a tonnaue cover for the hood when down.
Check the roof works ok if electric.
Key in ign don't turn to operate roof.
Check top mounts for rubber seperation.
That's off the top my head lol…

Back to the top

Newbie in the midlands

A good point though is, does your Mrs have big arms?

One of the popular reasons for these coming up for sale is no power steering and only having lap belts in the rear.
It's an odd feeling going from a modern car with brilliant brakes and power steering to going to a cabby without..

Back to the top
Thanks chortle

Lots of good tips there and lots I wouldn't have thought about

The Mrs will have a shock but it's too late once I have bought something. To be fair she drives an xc90 and the power steering was intermittent for a while. She was ok but moaned about parking. 

I had never thought about the rear seats only having lap straps. Do you know how you get on with having kids in the back (6 and 3)? Can you fit three point belts?

Thanks again

Wes

Back to the top

Newbie in the midlands

There is a three point kit available from crazy Quiffs it's a bolt in bracket kit and slight alteration if the parcel shelf support sides to allow the belts to come up from behind the seats.

And you'll need a set of front seat belts.

The American market dictated the three point harness/belt system, so Karmann changed the wheel tubs etc and a factory set up was used.
So if you can get a set cut out from a donor car and shipped here you'd need them welding in. But you'd have an OEM set up..

Back to the top

Newbie in the midlands

OEM looks like this

Back to the top
Thanks chortle. 

There won't be any 'spirited' driving with the kids in the car so the. On oem solution will do whilst they are young and then I can convert back once they are older. 

Thanks again

Wes

Back to the top
Hi again

Today has not panned out as I hoped. I wanted to get over to see a car but didn't get the chance. 

It's on eBay and I have messaged the seller who advised there is a sill repair that still needs painting and there is a patch of rust starting to show on the drivers side where the roof meets the body. 

Assuming everything else is fine as the seller states any ideas what this would cost to repair? Sorry I realise this is vague but I am thinking of buying it without viewing and want to leave myself a budget for the worse case scenario I guess. 

Thanks

Wes

Back to the top

Newbie in the midlands

Ok
Do you have pics of where the roof to body rust is?
If it's the cable lip it's a bit if a job.
I've seen it where it's the part at the hinge and where the clips go for the tonneau cover.  Those areas need to be spot on otherwise the hood doesn't fit right.

Plus if it's had sills what's the quality of the work done?
What's the asking price too?

Never ever buy without viewing. Don't be impatient the right one will turn up..

Back to the top

Newbie in the midlands

Id have to agree with above, the cable lips are a big job, sills can be hard to get factory finish too.

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top
Right been to look and I wasn't wowed. It's pretty decent but needs a damn good clean and lots of little bits. Not sure what to do now. It's currently sat at £1060 with an hour and a bit to go….

One thing I couldn't work out under acceleration the temp light and oil pressure light flicker and the relay goes mad. The owner said it's always done that and it's probably a relay which seems reasonable but if anyone has any insight it would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Back to the top
Well I set a budget and stuck to it but didn't win.   Slightly disappointed now as I thought I would be clearing space in the garage, buying parts and thinking up plausible reasons for taking a few hours off in my last week of work to go fetch it. 

Oh well I am sure there will be others…

Wes

Back to the top

Newbie in the midlands

Seen this on facebook. Only 1.5 gl though

Regards Volkswarren

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.