Skip navigation

MEGASQUIRT ON 1.8 8V GTI ?

Back to the top

Any tips or advice ? Maybe some pics ?

20160920_172644.jpg
And finally managed to get the laptop talking to the ecu !
Only got as far as calibrating the tps as the battery in the car was dying !

Back to the top
I was being an idiot about the fuse board wiring and getting my E numbers mixed up !
Waiting for fuel pump relay to arrive as well as a nee pin to insert into d/13 for the earth trigger !
My coolant sensor still hasn't arrived which im not happy about !
Still not sure if I have wired up the idle valve correctly ? They move so slowly its hard to tell lol.

Back to the top
A bit of an update… managed to get 6 167 relays for stevens vw dismantlers for the princely sum of £5 ! So have plenty of spares !
Got the relay all wired up and working as it should.
Have fuel at the rail.
Have spark and rpm signal.

For some reason on test mode I cant get the injectors to fire ? They are buzzing but not firing ?? I can only assume they are stuck closed as I got them from a vr6 engine I have lying around. I have some spare injectors from the audi 2.0 8v that came with the fuel  rail.

Back to the top
sounds like you are making good progress :)

have you checked the fuel lines to the rail are the right way round and the fuel pump(s) are actually able to deliver fuel up to the feed line?

with the lambda just pout it where all 4 branches come together, this is where it is on pretty much all VAG motors. Just spec the probe for use without a cat if you have the option as they have a bigger heater inside, as the cat will get very hot in use and helps warm the probe up too.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Yeah I took a gamble on the lambda probe and placed it where you say john. Only logical place I could put it really!
As far as the injectors go, I put the audi ones in and adjusted the settings to suite and they are working !
I think in the long run I will buy some new injectors, but they will do for now.
The only trouble im having now is setting the timing up using my timing gun ! The cranking is just to slow for my old gun ! Got another battery on charge which should crank it a bit faster ! The strobe is too slow and too dim to see what you are doing ! Will try again tonight when its dark ! If not I may have to splash out on something modern lol… This is my last job before start up !!

Back to the top
This is an interesting project.

Why don't you get rid of the old metering head completely? You could add a short tube with a 45 degree bend that you could fit the intake sensor to and the put a cone filter in the space that is left? You may be able to modify the existing plastic intake?

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

This is an interesting project.

Why don't you get rid of the old metering head completely? You could add a short tube with a 45 degree bend that you could fit the intake sensor to and the put a cone filter in the space that is left? You may be able to modify the existing plastic intake?

I used the old airbox as a temporary solution until I work out a different set up. I will probably try and get a decent cold air feed rather than drawing warm/hot air from the engine bay.

Back to the top
Ive not been able to get much done on the car for a few weeks due to me stabbing my own hand with a dirty engineers scribe. resulting in a very nasty infection ! Lesson learned !!

I have managed to get a new old stock bosch dizzy  and also some reconditioned cream vauxhall injectors. A right pain to get fitted with only one hand ! should have it running soon…

Back to the top
Had another go at starting today and its the same thing.. trying to catch but not running…
I decided to check the hall sender again and I noticed that there was 12v on the centre pin of the hall sender when I earthed it out to the engine block?
This should only be the 5v signal returning to the ecu so god only knows where this 12v is coming from !!
Had to pack up again as ive got another hospital appointment (the joy lol). This mysterious 12v's may be the route of my problems ! Wish I had a garage as its starting to turn chilly outside now !

Back to the top
For anyone following this, there have been some changes. I gave up with the dizzy and went with a trigger wheel instead. Much easier, although a pain to fit the wheel on the bottom pulley.
Fresh fuel and fresh plugs and she's a runner !
Now deciding to throw oil out of the dipstick !
Blocked breather in the rocker cover I think.
Also downloaded the full version of tunerstudio which I think is value for money with the auto tune features.
Need to wire the rev counter up but not too fussed about that at the moment !!
Just happy it's running, although it's taken me ages !
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.