Skip navigation

Mike's '82 Mk1 Golf GTI

Back to the top

Mike's '82 Mk1 Golf GTI

Eventual 20vt Conversion

Just been to Sheffield this morning to collect my new seats!

They are Vabric racing seats wrapped in the original GTI fabrics, they look sweet.

Just need some frames, rails and adaptors now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
those seats are awesome i was close to buying them myself.  looking forward to seeing it finished now so keep up the good work.

1983 mk1 gti white bought as a daily now in pieces.. 

Back to the top

dan-j-w said

those seats are awesome i was close to buying them myself.  looking forward to seeing it finished now so keep up the good work.

I love em' mate, glad I got my mits on them when I did.
Haven't been able to do a lot over the last 2 weeks due to rain but I'll pick it back up when the sun is out!

Back to the top
Nice work there Mike.
I bet you're so ready to take it for a spin?
I know I would be. :-)

Goly The Golf, a 1983 5dr 1.3cl having a full resto.
Cherub, a 1985 Mk2 Polo Breadvan.
1995 Rover Mini Sprite (wife's daily)

Back to the top

Mike's '82 Mk1 Golf GTI

GolyTheGolf said

Nice work there Mike.
I bet you're so ready to take it for a spin?
I know I would be. :-)

I'm itching to turn the key haha, so close now!

Back to the top

Mike's '82 Mk1 Golf GTI

Been a pretty hectic few weeks, have been unable to work on the golf for the past few weekends due to weather mostly but finally got some time yesterday! Managed to finish mounting the intercooler, radiator and fan with some of the pipework mackled together..

I had more pictures of the fan on and the brackets that we made up out of some steel we had lying around but can't seem to find them.. i'll take some more next weekend.
My dad helped a lot this weekend to get this lot done, sorting the radiator hoses and hopefully gear linkage next weekend.

I have had to cut a hole in my bulkhead to push the ecu through and a lot of the wiring so I can mount it in the dashboard. Took some fiddling but it is through. All wiring is now in place ready to be soldered up.

My winter project has also started, I have all of the parts now for my bbs rs'!

Serated nuts

M7x32 chrome bolts

15" 2.5" dishes for rear and 2" for fronts, all in radinox from Schmidt!

Just gotta take them apart now, send for the faces to be painted in gloss black and rebored from 56.1 to vw friendly 57.1 and i'll be good to go.

And my new frames from Poland have arrived for the seats!

Getting closer and closer!

Back to the top
6670E3A2-F318-4EB7-AE7C-DE9273A28068.jpeg
Hi Mike, 
I used to own this car. I bought it off the original owner in Bicester who was ex military and as you say it was used in Germany. 
I worked at BRMotorsport at the time and fitted the servo conversion, neuspeed upper and lower strut braces and the brm headlamp loom.  I think it had bilstein suspension on it when I sold it. I don't have many photos of it as we didn't have mobile phones when I had it. 
I recall selling it to a youngish lad who was going to do it up which is probably your relative's friend. 
It's good to know it's still on the road and you are doing a good job of the conversion. Is it finished yet? 
It was a fun car to own and drive, I did a couple of 12 car road rallies in it. It wasn't in the best of shape when I sold it but back then they weren't worth a lot and I think I sold it for about £500.   
Regards, Kevin 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.