Skip navigation

Mk1 20vt - on a budget of £3k including buying the car

Back to the top

As the title says, £3k budget to build something special.

It's from up north, or was 16-17 years ago, then in a container nr Kings Lynn, not sure where or who did all the work as chap supplying the pics boughtit all ready complete.

Back to the top
The story of mine is a bit similar,  off the road for 11 years, bought as a wreck, although it wasn't until I got mine in 1 piece till I realised that it was once a magazine featured car (back in 89)

Probably got a set of rear quarter windows with seals in the loft.
Will check next time I'm in there

Karl 

Back to the top
Rear quarter Windows would be AWSOME! I could then say she's watertight, just don't want to spend crazy money for them,want to small targets. I'm on annual leave for most of the kids summer hols so just trying to find a couple of hours to get the doors on. Bolts arrived in the post. Chuffed as £1.90 got me 10 stainless door bolts. As opposed to VW's £3.98 each.

Back to the top
Great start ..I started mine on a budget even doing all the work myself still spent a fair bit ..but then I did spend quite abit of money getting all new interior parts ,seats re-trimmed all the little bits add up !!!  ….wish you luck :D

Jamie

Back to the top

Mk1 20vt - on a budget of £3k including buying the car

Great story and a great find. It sounds like the right car found the right owner.

Looking forward to updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Good luck with the project. You've made a great start and love the way you're doing it yourself, and the endless eBay bargain searching  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Today's update - £1.98 doors bolts (for 10 if any wants a couple haha) arrived. Straight eBay rust free doors fitted. Amazing really, 2 bolts no adjustment, And door shuts perfectly, all the lines match up and spacing is perfect. Don't make em like this anymore, on the down side found some bubbling hidden on the underside door base/scuttle, not visible from the top, Really hoped not to have to do scuttle repairs but if it needs doing its gonna get cut out totally and new panel/metal welded in, not a fan of rust treating and covering up with "pudding" Especially if it needs to survive another 35 years. Nothing worse than respraying a car and 12 months later bubbling appears. 

Still no barn 😢😢 hoping for a dry summer 😀😀

Back to the top

Still no barn 😢😢 hoping for a dry summer 😀😀

I thought you were in the UK? Dry Summer!!!

On a serious note, if you're doing most of the work yourself then you can do the 20vt's cheap enough, about £1k-1500 it costs us in an old skool car depending on which car/engine used. You'll need a fair bit coded out of the ecu though for the parts that aren't fitted.

Back to the top
I know its do'able, just matter of buying the right cars complete and breaking to recoup money. (Engine) Biggest expenses are going to be respray, (will be fully prepped and primed and literally need a "blow over" in a booth, (500ish) ECU/coding/set up (300ish) and the exhaust manifold. The prices of the manifold parts has gone up about as quick as Mk1's in past 10 years. Had only budgeted £150 to make the manifold but the flanges and a couple of bends and £150 is done and I wanted to make it 3" from the turbo back. So will prob have to wait and hope for a second hand exhaust to come up. Good thing is I have time, no timescales, no pressure, (2018 AGM will creep up though 😂)

Back to the top
Just bought a mk1 aswell with a similar story. Bought a shell that was all there but no interior and running gear and most importantly no rust.:)I found an audi A3 with the engine mounts for the mk1 already for £400 just around the corner from me (Private Reg Aswell) Hoping to make the 2018 AGM so we will see

Back to the top
Well it's payday today, so just securing some wheels, 16" not too big, but VERY 90's and I love them which is the main thing. Picking them up tommorow, then the boot lid, looking at COPART for an CAT C or maybe have an arrangement with a local breakers for a CAT B. ordered a panel for the slam repair, and a rear floor to replace the hole from the old cage removal.

Back to the top
If you're wanting to save money and not have to part a car out or buy a BAM set up, we've been sourcing early AGU engines locally and buying ko4 bits seperately - works out a few hundred quid cheaper so very similar to a ko3 set up. About £1500 tops with shafts, box, new engine mounts, downpipe etc bought.

Doing it that way we used an AGU engine, AUM ECU, APU wiring loom with a custom BAM map I made and flashed over. Use the 210/225hp maf, injectors, turbo - code out the deletes and mod ESKONF….. shouldn't cost you more than a couple of hundred really for the ecu mods!

Back to the top
Old owner has found the original spec sheets:-
Engine I have features 
Piper 286 cam
TSR A gas flowed head
Updated bearings
Works fuel pump
Malpassi fuel lines and pressure regulator Janspeed 4-1 and Jetex competition exhaust
Kwick shift

Chassis highlights
Kwik racks
Spax (not Koni as I thought) GP adjustable shocks and 2.1/4 springs with "helper" springs
Goodrich hoses all round.

Downside
"Professionally re-wired, push button start, a host of extra gauges, battery relocated" I don't have any gauges, and no idea where the batter was moved to, and no fuse box…….

In other news
I have a Mk2 loom coming from eBay £30, including all dash, and engine, and fuse box and relays. So I can upgrade to a late wiring loom. And make the current loom a bit more original. Should make conversions later on a bit easier.
Rear 3/4 windows have arrived, rear boot collected, missed out on a set of super cheap 16" Azev A's
Bargins of the week
Passenger door handle with key £1 £3 including postage. image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Back to the top
So it's been a while, not huge progress, but a few more parts purchased and new barn just around the corner. Picked up an OBP pedal box brand new for £260. Including on dash adjustment, and hydrolic clutch. All pots, master cylinders the full works as I was missing master cylinder, servo and brake bar I have probably saved money on buying this decent set up. 

Big purchase alert….. But missed out as I had a work commitment. Audi TT cat D rear end. Full BAM engine, 78k miles, now warning lights. Sold for £650. But there is another ending Friday so hopefully I can get that. This one is a convertible, 89k, but has lovely black leather. So that's what I am hoping. Complete TT for sub £700. I can keep what I need sell everything else cheap and walk away with a profit, and a free BAM engine. 
Roll on Fridays auction…..

Back to the top
I'm a big fan of this type of build!  :thumbs:  keep up the good work mate and good luck with the bargains! just hope you keep up the effort!

Back to the top
More progress, full clipper kit, all repair panels purchased, moved into New barn. Just waiting for a TT or similar to come up at the right money. Although a chap on here was selling a complete mk1 conversion for £800, mounts ecu the whole lot but that's just lazy when with a bit of work I can probably get a free engine if I break a complete car. 

Back to the top
Are you considering mk4 Golf gti's? for 700 quid you could definately buy a AGU 1.8T engine and maybe make some/most of the cost back, however i cant recall ever seeing a TT for below a grand  :ninja:

Back to the top
Www.copart.co.uk it is where all insurance write offs go. Seen loads of light rear ends go for sub 700. Many with sub 70k miles and a full tank of fuel. Take a look it's a fab website.

Back to the top
do you have to have a business to use that website or a trade dealership?  :offtopic: and good luck! is there any differences with the engine not being transverse?

Back to the top
You do have to become a member for £50, or find a freind to buy it on your behalf. They deliver as well. The TT is transverse, and BAM is what I am looking at. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.