Skip navigation

Fuel tank cleaning

Back to the top
Hi, looked into this a few years back. A new tank (from VW Heritage) is the only way to go in my opinion. They are not that expensive and quality is ok. Just give the outside a good coating of stonechip before you fit it.

Back to the top
the problem with pattern GTI tanks is the internal swirl pot design is primitive and just doesnt work very well.

the trouble with genuine vw tanks tho is the rubber seals usually have rotted off the plastic pot so they dont work well either! these also make it hard to refurbish the tank as any coating you decide to pour inside the tank to fix them will probably gum up the swirl pot as well

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Hi agreed, the swirl pot is bit basic but its not caused me any problems in the past 2 years. As you say most original tanks will have lost their rubber flap by now and replacements aren't available (and you wouldn't be able to fit it anyway). The heritage one was the best replacement tank I could find?

A rusty tank\contaminated fuel caused me no-end of pain when I was re-commissioning my mk1, 2 fuel pumps, accumulator, metering head, wur and injectors all had to be replaced. If I ever re-commission a mk1 again, replacing the tank will be the first thing I do!

Back to the top
I'm lost ,
Try getting refurbished or buy new from VW heritage????????

Back to the top
seems to be hit n miss then, I have seen several guys having issues using the pattern GTI tanks in the past. maybe some are made slightly better than others :lol:

ideally you want a good used genuine tank, but as I say check the rubber seals on the swirl pot before you buy.  You could try a pattern GTI tank if you're stuck and see how you go.

the problem with goign for the late cabrio/rocco setup with lifter in the tank is the pot will get in the way so you have to use a carb tank, then you have the extra problem of trying to squeeze in the swirl pot under the car as it wants to go where your fuel accumulator is now! the later cab/rocco have a smaller accumulator and its moved nearer the tank to make space

Back to the top
I believe they are hit and miss, when I was looking at replacing my tank I was warned of the problems with pattern tanks. As I couldn't locate a genuine tank at the time I bought one from vw heritage. Touch wood I've had no problems with it so far but I've only had to refuel 3 times! Each time it's taken about 32 litres so I've been below 1/4 a tank left. Fingers crossed it will be ok. Good luck with it!

Back to the top
that might be the key to a happy life with a pattern tank, dont let it get too low :)

Back to the top
Hi, hopefully to help with any confusion, not all pattern tanks are the same, some I enquired about had no "swirl pot" at all. That's why I chose the heritage tank as though not perfect but the best available.

There are also different tanks for different models which have different internals. Some suppliers\owners aren't aware of the differences so I suspect some peoples experiences with replacements will be different as they may have been supplied\fitted the wrong or poor quality part.

I don't think it is going to be possible to find a good used tanks for sale because of the age\deterioration that would have taken place by now.

Because of the design of the internal pipework\swirl pot\flap I don't think it would be possible to effectively recondition a tank using the sealer kits from frost etc. From memory the frost kit is about £60 and the new tanks about £85ish. You have to take the tank off in both cases.

I usually keep my Mk1 low on fuel as I don't want to have a build up of stale fuel in it. Not had any issues with it it running with a low level in the tank either.

The only time I could possibly see it being an issue is if you had very low fuel levels and were cornering very hard (on a track day of course). If so make sure you don't let the tank run too low.

Back to the top
for the tintop there are 2 tanks, carbed version with no internal pot and no outlet at the bottom or fuel return outlet, and the gti/diesel with internal pot, lower outlet and fuel return near the top.

for the later post 84 cabrio/scirocco they are the same regardless of engine, though there are a couple numbers depending on age/market. internally they have no swirl pot or outlet or return since the carb pump sucks the fuel up thru the level sender and for injection they have a lift pump dropped in the top which sucks the fuel out to fill the external swirl pot

Back to the top
Anyone used white vinegar to clean out a tank?

Birmingham

Back to the top
I'm sure it would work but you would need lots of it!

Back to the top

I did mine back in 2013 and got this lot out of the tank!!!

image.jpeg

You Panning for Gold?

On a couple of cars that I owned we dropped the Tanks, added some #2 Sand and filled with water, then Placed then on a oscillating motor for a half a day, they came out very shiny inside and no rust.

It was a tad cheaper than running to a radiator shop, but in the end Knowing that the tank was pressure tested for leaks by the shop was one of those I don't have to think about it's for a while.  

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.