Skip navigation

Mellow Yellow 3.2ltr 24v Conversion

Back to the top
I think I must be mental, I had a perfectly good G60 conversion but after seeing some R32 Mk1 Golf's decided I needed another challenge :DToday arrived a 73k 3.2litre 24v V6 from an Audi A3. It's essentially identical to the BUB R32 engine producing 250bhp and 236 lbft torque.

gallery_23668_521_495067.jpg gallery_23668_521_692927.jpg

To make the conversion easier I've ordered a mount kit from eurowise. They have a new kit which is specifically for the 24v V6 engines that's not in their store which mounts better than the VR6 version. I also ordered the R32 stainless downpipe for the Mk1 which is also not listed.

Now I must admit there is very little information on this conversion and everybody I've contacted has failed to respond.

The wiring seems a problem as I want to keep stock clocks, I've already been in contact with rubjonny :DIf anyone can provide any information on the conversion or knows anyone that had done it please let me know :)

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
Always up for a challenge,  :lol:

I think the r32 is the best looking engine you can put in a mk1 golf  :thumbs:  

There's a chap called mk1 James on ed38, and I'm sure he posts on here too, who has done a stunning r32 conversion, perhaps he could help?

Good luck anyway, can't wait to see it fitted.

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Always up for a challenge,  :lol:

I think the r32 is the best looking engine you can put in a mk1 golf  :thumbs:  

There's a chap called mk1 James on ed38, and I'm sure he posts on here too, who has done a stunning r32 conversion, perhaps he could help?

Good luck anyway, can't wait to see it fitted.

Matt

I've tried to contact him twice but no response. He is local to me as well!

I will need all the luck I can get :) cheers :thumbs:

Back to the top
Have you tried contacting him through ed38? He's posted on there recently.

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Have you tried contacting him through ed38? He's posted on there recently.

No I will give that a try :)

Back to the top
In the mk1 section there's a thread with "favourite photos". He posted pictures of his mk1 in there recently. Might be the easiest way to find him.

Back to the top
This is going to be good, love mk1 R32s, your G60 was stunning as it was so I'm sure this is going to be just as good!! 

I had a mk4 R32 and would have another in a heart beat such a good engine!

Back to the top
Great update R32 Bbbwwwarrr!!!!

Don't forget that heavy duty suspension for the extra weight of that R32  :thumbs:

:lol:

Back to the top
Nice. project there Rich .was hoping to see the mk1 g60 in the flesh one day as your local and pick your brains on your G60install ..You Have bigger KaHuNaS than me dude. im still playing around with a 2ltr 8 valve. :lol:Keep us all updated. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Christmas came early :) gallery_23668_521_772030.jpg   gallery_23668_521_1007220.jpg
gallery_23668_521_1120900.jpg gallery_23668_521_1507849.jpg gallery_23668_521_1517778.jpg
gallery_23668_521_904620.jpg
gallery_23668_521_1673746.jpg

And V5 gearbox:
gallery_23668_521_81529.jpg

At the weekend I can get the engine and gearbox on stands and start the clean up process :) 

Back to the top
That manifold looks tasty  :thumbs:

Will you be needing to wrapping it to protect the steering rack boot etc?

Also what size driveshafts have you gone for?
I assumed your current ones where 100mm and 100mm gearbox cv cups? Are the new drive shafts 108mm ?

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

That manifold looks tasty  :thumbs:

Will you be needing to wrapping it to protect the steering rack boot etc?

Also what size driveshafts have you gone for?
I assumed your current ones where 100mm and 100mm gearbox cv cups? Are the new drive shafts 108mm ?

Not sure yet on the fitment, Eurowise said it should fit well. I have loads of heat wrap on the UJ boot and will heat proof the bulk head as you could feel the heat through the bulk head with the g60.

As for driveshafts they came with the eurowise kit so not sure yet. I have a gearbox with 100mm cups on spare so can swap them over :)

Back to the top

The Yellow Peril R32

Look nice  my plan was put r32 is well this year but too busy on work no spear time  if you dont mind how much is cost the kit  and manifold i may ordered  get early ready for action :)

Back to the top

RichG60 said

As for driveshafts they came with the eurowise kit so not sure yet. I have a gearbox with 100mm cups on spare so can swap them over :)

So is there a difference between the current and new driveshafts ?

L

Back to the top

Umi7 said

Look nice  my plan was put r32 is well this year but too busy on work no spear time  if you dont mind how much is cost the kit  and manifold i may ordered  get early ready for action :)

Cost a pretty penny, if you speak to them you get a better shipping rate and its cheaper overall ;)

They also powder coat everything as standard so no additional fee.

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

RichG60 said

So is there a difference between the current and new driveshafts ?

L

I love it your asking me all these questions when i'm clutching at straws trying to get answers for it ha ha  :lol: .

I'm not really sure as my previous driveshafts went with the conversion.

The passenger side does look shorter and I would imagine the v6 is wider so I reckon they are different lengths. I can measure them if you're interested  :D

Back to the top

RichG60 said

The passenger side does look shorter and I would imagine the v6 is wider so I reckon they are different lengths. I can measure them if you're interested  :D

:lol:

Doh! I have now realised I have asked  such a stupid question  :$

Obviously the two extra cylinders is going to make a difference to the position of the gearbox and hence the length of the driveshafts!!!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Been busy tonight ordering up the service parts.

Things I have left:  water pumps (main and aux), timing chain kit ,vr6 fly wheel and clutch and good to go :)I'm sure there are gaskets and bolts /nuts I will need.

I will measure up the front to see what radiator and fans I can fit.

Back to the top
Got the gearbox and engine on stands :) gallery_23668_521_11876.jpg gallery_23668_521_48647.jpg gallery_23668_521_144627.jpg
More and more bits are arriving. Once I manage to figure out what's required I will create a guide for the Mk1 as there is nothing on the web about this.

gallery_23668_521_17466.jpg gallery_23668_521_207895.jpg gallery_23668_521_320338.jpg gallery_23668_521_366158.jpg

Put the 100mm cups on for you Lhasa2008 :lol:

Back to the top
I've found a good guide for the Corrado VR6 to R32 and it says about purchasing a new aux pulley from a 2.3 litre V5 022 145 299 d and also a replacement bracket 021 260 087D which the alternator fits to and power steering.

Does anyone know if these are necessary when not fitting power steering?

Are there clearance issues with the alternator as it too low as stock and the replacement bracket lifts it up under the inlet?

I've seen other Mk1 R32 owners are using this pulley 022 145 299 d but not sure whether the big aux bracket is required?

Thanks

Rich
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.