Skip navigation

New member from Cornwall, UK

Back to the top

1990 Gti Cabriolet

I'd of undone the rear cable for the hood also.
  1. the cable channel lip is prone to rust.
  2. with the hood tucked into the body and masked off would made painting that tricky area easier especially if repair needed.
You have also the problem areas around the main hinge bearing not getting any paint.
If these areas rust you gave nothing to atattach the tonneau cover clips too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Thanks for the tip! I will have to have a little look in there. One thing I always wondered is how the tonneau cover fitted properly, I've got the two cut of switch things near the rear windows but the straps I can't figure out? 

Back to the top

The two straps that have Velcro on the ends go under the parcel shelf.

The Dog Ears with poppers go to the power interrupters on the plastic trims next to the rear windows. (If you have a late cover).
There should be two elastic straps (often missing). These have either a hook or press stud attachment.
These locate to either a triangle cut out or a corresponding stud located on the plastic trim either side of the read seat back rest.
To get to these open the boot. Pull out the knob on the upper left side, this is the rear seat release.
Next pull the strap located on the upper passenger side of the back rest. This allows the back rest to tilt forward.
The two metal hooks on the rear corners slide onto the loops from the rear cable channel.

The two side studs pop onto the side trims by the main hinge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
So it's all back together now and back home, very happy with the work from Trevor at T Giles VW Workshop in Bodmin. He is now making me a custom number plate holder out of stainless to mount into the front bumper ( copy of original) he's having it back on Friday to clean up underneath and seal for this horrible winter weather.

A photo from a quick trip out on Sunday afternoon.

Some pictures during the paintwork process…

Back to the top
Looks like they did an awesome job of the paint! Looks well!  :cool:

Back to the top
Nice!

Can't wait to see it in the flesh.  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
When is next Cornish meet?

So I've had these sat in my workshop for about 10 years, gave them a keep clean off and getting ready to bore the centre's to match my hubs as I brought them from Germany but was lied to about the center bores. They measure 56.6mm which I'm guessing is Vauxhall/Honda fitment, now I know my hubs are 57.1mm but what is VW's tolerance on the hubs I have no idea so I'm thinking 57.12/57.13 should do the trick?

Ronal R8T (think Audi Quattro UR)

Also I was sent this Original Photo of the car from a previous owner

Compared to how it is today

Thanks for looking :)Dan

Last edit: by Bidder87

Back to the top

Awesome work.. looks great man..hands up..
Reg Kevin

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Back to the top
So I've sorted the centre bores on the Ronals and got them fitted.  

Not to everyone's taste but I like them and they technically are OEM+ (Mk2 golf gti option)
Steering seems to have lightened and 0 wheel wobble even over 60mph.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edit: by Bidder87

Back to the top
The cars had some more love over the last week new battery, new alternator, new radiator and thermostat flushed and topped up with G13.  

This solved my running cold issue oil now sits at 90* and the temp gauge a nip over halfway, perfect! 

image.jpeg image.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.