Skip navigation

New member from Cornwall, UK

Back to the top

1990 Gti Cabriolet

Hi Everyone!

New member here from sunny cornwall, I've had a few Golf's over the years but this is my first mk1. It's a 1991 Gti Cabriolet in black on 216k . I have to say it's one of the best vw's I've drove it's so fun and smooth compared to my old mk3 cabriolet, although the brakes need some atention. I have a few bits I need to replace and work on but I'm looking forward to it!

Updates to follow.

Last edit: by Bidder87

Back to the top
Hi. Welcome to the club  :thumbs:

Looks like a good start to your project. There's obviously some rust at the back, how is the rest of the shell?

Good luck with it.

Matt

Back to the top
Well to be honest it is pretty good, minor surface rust in a few places but nothing worrying but for the rear arch. Scuttle panel, spare wheel well, sills and turrets look ok. Passenger door needs replacing and there is a bubble on the waistline that needs attention. 

I have a new wing ready for the repair but I'll be needing the inner one to from what I have read on here as a guest. 

And then there's the brakes… 

Back to the top
Here it is after a clean up.. 

Attachment
96 views (1.06 Mb)

Back to the top
Quick update while I'm at work thought I would look to see what my Ronal's look like lined upto to the Gti.
Also sourced the missing chrome/black trim from Raja Rahim on facebook - no. 07855 999999 (many many spares!) (£25 + postage)
Then work begins on the resto of the rear arch next week. 

Back to the top
Looking good - it's amazing how many people don't clean it before sale but I guess it makes it cheaper!!!! Think I saw this on gumtree or the bay - bit of a bargain! Are you keeping the no bumpers look?

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Yeah I saw it advertised on eBay for £1300 went and seen it and managed to get it for a lot less as she needed a quick sale and as the arch and door need replacing and there is no history with it, the roof also wasn't working but I've sorted that out now.

I'm not sure on the bumpers I can't justify the money for small chrome so might look at putting the standard small bumpers on from vwh. Although I like the raw look of no bumpers so undecided currently. 

Back to the top
On the h plate it would have had the clipper kit I reckon which could be why the arch went the way it did. Still a bargain mind - I nearly put an offer in myself as the seller appeared to want move it on quickly. Look forward to its progress! 

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
You're correct the clipper kit was fitted to all gti's after 87/88 I believe. I also have it it in reasonable condition from the seller but I'm not keen on it myself. But I will keep it in case I ever want to put the car back to original. 

Do the older style bumpers use the same mounts and fixing positions etc as the clipper do you know? I've tried to read a few threads but I'm finding it hard to find the answer. 

Are you also located in Cornwall? Is there many of us? 

Back to the top
I'm not 100 percent but I think the mountings for the irons in the chassis legs will be the same but the plastic wing mountings may be different. From Cornwall originally but in Devon now. Still go to the cvwoc jamboree once in a while. Not sure if the vagfest is running again. There are a few members about in Cornwall though!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Good luck with the resto…….

I noted the interior, its the same as my 1990 black cabby GTi. I believe its "quartet". Its the first time I've seen another interior the same.

My interior is tidy but if you do decide to swap it out let me know.

Back to the top
where in cornwall are you? I have a bare door you can have if you want one? also a couple of spare side trims

if you are on facebook there is the Cornish owners club. Mk1 Golf Owners Club -Cornish Division

Back to the top
I live in foxhole, and work in Bodmin so pretty central. Oh wow that would be great! How much do you want for it? 

Back to the top
Already joined that page! Will come along to a meet soon enough 

Back to the top
Little update on progress so far.

Gave the grill a overhaul over last few evenings, I liked the chrome trim around it but decided it should be mars red to look like a true Gti.
Here's some photos of it. I think it's turned out rather well.

I've also started a collection of parts to do the rear arch and some new small bumpers from VWH.

More to follow shortly…

Back to the top
So the car has been at a friends shop for a few months now slowly having everything cleaned up on the body, the arch has been replaced and looks excellent.

Also many thanks to sporttrucker for the door he gave me!

A few holes in the rear quarters where the side strips click on are being done and some minor bits of rust on the front panel and rear. Also a nasty hole near the B pillar then it's being rubbed down prepped and a full respray. Excited doesn't cut it! 
Updated photos to follow shortly.. 

Back to the top
Sounds like it's coming along nicely.

Look forward to seeing it at a meet once done mate 

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Back to the top
So here is a few pictures of a couple area's of repair, I went to see the car this morning and was told about a few extra holes.

Yippy!

Bottom of the front wing o/s and n/s
Bottom of rear o/s arch
Front panel Rear panel
Around the door handle o/s
Boot lid number plate lamp area
Top of the cross member
Bonnet grill nearly through

Car currently is body (exterior) rust free under going paint prep.

Back to the top
Well at least the little extras have been found and dealt with so all in all it's coming on a treat!  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.