Skip navigation

New to the MK1 scene!

Back to the top

New to the MK1 scene!

Hey guys, been looking into air ride? Can any of you offer any advice on what to get, companies to go through, companies to avoid ??
Any help on the matter is appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl Rowlands

1981 MK1 GTI - 2.0l 16V 9A - SRAD carbs

Ive had to many years of easy motoring so thought id buy a 35 yr old car and see what happens!!!!!

Back to the top
Welcome to club.. air ride…hmmm sure there's some rides on here that sport that gear..give it time you'll find a helpfull soul on here.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top

New to the MK1 scene!

Cheers!! I'm not in a massive rush for it, I'm sitting nice on k2's at the mo! Just like the idea lol!

Karl Rowlands

Ive had to many years of easy motoring so thought id buy a 35 yr old car and see what happens!!!!!

Back to the top
Have a  chat with Funkstar on here.  

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top

New to the MK1 scene!

Those wheels look really good on the car mate !!
  As for air ride you can't go wrong with only charged dubs up in Doncaster ! The service I've had was excellent and will cater to your needs depending on your budget. They are a great bunch of guys as well as many will tell you !!

Back to the top
Tidy mk1:thumbs:So glad you changed the wheels!

I have contemplated airide a few times, and was looking at airlift or D2, I thought D2 better as its based on coilover type body so you can adjust the position of the bag in terms of ride height and how much air is needed in the bag to inflate it to a driving height. As you can control the amount of air in the bag you can make it a softer or stiffer ride, plus it has damper adjustment. (all from research)

I would say 4 way over 2 way from what others have told me.

My car is still on coilovers as the cost is quite high for a decent 4way setup, but I'm still tempted!

Best thing to do is see if you can get a drive in one to see what it's like.

Maybe a get a build tread up?

Back to the top
awesome mk1  :thumbs:

looks miles better with the new wheels, bumpers etc.

there are lots of companies which sell kits for the mk1 now.

i would go for a ride in one that has air before committing. As the car is very light, the ride can be a bit Stiff / bouncy.

However, mine was one of the first kits made so they may have improved since then.

mike

Back to the top

New to the MK1 scene!

Cheers for all you advice on air guys much appreciated, it's nice to be on a forum that offers decent advice!

I'm back in the UK at the end of the month so I'll be quote hunting around companies when I've got decent internet and time to spend on the car!

Karl Rowlands

Back to the top

New to the MK1 scene!

MOT day today didnt quite go as planned! failed! But minor stuff! Some brake bind, wipers threw a fit and blew the fuse and a CV gator so nothing drastic!! Get that nipped and back to the tester!

Karl Rowlands

Back to the top
Car looks really good mate !! The colour suits the wheels !! 
  Nice quick fixes for the mot. Have it on the road for the decent weather, if we get any !!

Back to the top
Like what you've done with it, looks spot on. Do you still have it?

Back to the top

Back to the top

New to the MK1 scene!

karl9779 said

MOT day today didnt quite go as planned! failed! But minor stuff! Some brake bind, wipers threw a fit and blew the fuse and a CV gator so nothing drastic!! Get that nipped and back to the tester!

Cool car man, sorry to be a drag but can I ask what size rims you're running? Cheers buddy

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top

New to the MK1 scene!

Oh and I see you changed from black to chrome bumpers, very nice if you still have the old ones and want to sell them give me a shout and maybe we can have a deal. Cheers

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top
How's your car coming along Karl ? anymore updates ?

Adam.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.