Skip navigation

My new K04 APY mk1 (Ruby)

Back to the top
Hello!

Went to pick this up yesterday :)Then drove it 5 hours all the way home!! Got a couple bits to sort out, but overall awesome car!

Quick question to begin with - I'm not a huge fan of where the ECU is at the moment (picture included) and the lack of any kind of rain protecting for it! Was hoping to re-fit a full scuttle tray cover; are these available anywhere? Or, happy to hear any other advice about it!

IMG_20160501_140622.jpg IMG_20160501_140622.jpg   IMG_20160501_140622.jpg IMG_20160501_140622.jpg IMG_20160501_140622.jpg IMG_20160501_140622.jpg

Cheers

Back to the top
Looks great, those wheels remind me of some TSW's I had on my Mk2's back in the early 90's.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
A company called SWG were in the process of manufacturing a full width scuttle cover a few months back. I called again recently and they were moving workshops so hadn't made any more progress but assured me they would be completing it around mid summer. I'm mounting my ECU in a similar position on the basis I can get one of their covers. I wouldn't like to risk it exposed like that.

Back to the top
Thanks Dani,

I take it that getting an OEM one is out of the question? And yeah, I actually drove the car back through pretty heavy rain and it was ok, but I wasn't keen on it! Definitely want to get it covered up somehow.

Back to the top
Well, a car that is too low and English roads resulted in this…waiting for the RAC now. Lesson learned, and a raising of ride height and shallow sump will follow in due course.
IMG_20160508_170828.jpg

Back to the top
That's bad news, hope in a way  it was down to driving too enthusiastically rather than those creations of the devil speed humps.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Actually speed humps have been ok. But this I didn't even notice (or my passenger) and only going about 30mph obviously hit a raised section in the road and it just split the sump straight away with a bang. Luckily I was just meters from passengers home, so coasted it in. Am however having to wait 4 or 5 hours to be picked up to head home….busiest break down day if the year….or so the RAC say. Ah well

Back to the top
 The oem cover doesn't cover that area of the scuttle, it's more a partial cover really.
  Did you get any contact between your driveshafts and chassis at all running that low or has it been notched to clear them?

Back to the top
Yeah, OEM scuttle is a bit of a laugh really :)

Haven't noticed any scraping of the driveshafts, no, but only had the car a week.

Now that it's off the road though I'll be able to have a much better poke around

Back to the top
ECS shallow sump kit arrived today from the USA, all looks good and well made! Took some photos of all the bits in the kit in case anyone needs them.

Odd thing is the kit said on the website that the steel section was NOT sealed to the aluminium sump before delivery…but looking at the sealant squeezing out, it certainly looks pre-sealed to me…

IMG_20160515_215216.jpg IMG_20160515_215216.jpg IMG_20160515_215216.jpg IMG_20160515_215216.jpg IMG_20160515_215216.jpg IMG_20160515_215216.jpg IMG_20160515_215216.jpg IMG_20160515_215216.jpg IMG_20160515_215216.jpg

Back to the top
this looks smart!

shame about the sump but every cloud has a silver lining

Back to the top
Update: Just finished changing my front wiper motor.

Just a heads up for anyone who cares / wants to do this themselves at some point. Changing the mk3 motor to a USA mk3 cabrio motor (1HM 955 023 C) does work from a mk1 SWG motor.

Just got it up and running in my 1983 3 door. The backplate of the mk1 motor does require modification to get it to fit the mk3 motor (holes drilling out bigger, extra holes drilled, edges taken back for clearance etc) but it did fit :)

Back to the top
So, changed the fuel lines front to rear and relocated the in-line fuel pump. At the moment it's below the scuttle, but it should be closer to the tank. My problem is that there isn't really anwhere "safe" under the car to put the inline pump and fuel filter without them ending up being the lowest points under the car….which sounds dangerous!

Test fitted the new rota grid drifts, think they're gonna look good. Still struggling with my front hubs having weird threads or maybe just eff'd up threads :S Changing the hubs and bearings would be seriously annoying :(

But, bought myself some lovveeelly porsche tombstones with 3-point belts for the fonts to replace the rs2000 recaros in there now. Can't wait to get them in the car!

IMG-20160629-WA0001.jpg IMG-20160629-WA0001.jpg

Back to the top
Nice looking mk1, I bet it's fun to drive  :thumbs:

Back to the top
sure is…when it's not on axle stands :P

Back to the top
love your mk1!
will the recaros be up for sale now you've got the tombstones..
if so im very interested
greig

Back to the top
Thanks mate. I'll get some pictures up as I continue to work on it.

Indeed, the recaros + seatbelts will be up for grabs once I get the tombstones all fitted. I'll be making a separate post in the classifieds section / ebay etc so keep and eye out :)

Back to the top
Love the tombstones, look forward to seeing them fitted  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Good day today, got the car back on the road finally!

Took the bolt-in cage out (which involved literally hacksawing by hand through two of the bolts…lol), bit of internal wiring (lots more to do), sorted the seatbelts, fitted the porsche tombstaones (photos later) and fitted the new wheels!! All in all, a good day.

Car is still an absolute animal to drive, spins its wheels in everything through 3rd…utter animal!

IMG_20160716_201233.jpg

Back to the top
Great photo. Your car looks amazing  :thumbs:

Matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.