Skip navigation

Mynx the Tintop 1400 16v afh bike carb'd restomod

Back to the top

Back up and running and for sale!

well thats something different!

cant wait to see what it looks like all finished.

Back to the top
Thanks mucker. Me too!  O_o

So onto the wiring and the sound deadening then I suppose.

First a layer of Silent Coat, on the floors, bulkhead and in the rear quarters

Also finally got the fuel pump lines covered with overbraid and ran out the sender wires and the fuel pump wires back towards the fuse box.

Next up the interior wiring and then stage 2 of the sound deadening  :thumbs:

Also picked up some leather corrado rear seats which I will have to try and see if I can make fit. Also looking for some leather Mazda MX5 seat covers or seats to match……….

Exciting times ahead!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So for those of you paying attention, it cannot have escaped your attention that i is exactly 1 whole year sine Mynx arrived at Chateau Borednow.

As such a bit of an update was in order.

Still no engine

Wiring loom still needs sorting (although rear loom is finally sorted and the dash loom is nearly there)

But the good news is that I've converted the pedal box to electric switch for the brake lights, modified it to take the larger, direct push master cylinder and painted it up all nice and shiny and it's back in situ.

The heater box has been refreshed with new foams, new matrix and new motor and is back in.

Pedals, steering rack, engine mounts and loads of bits and bobs all painted up

Plus, new grill and outers, new lights, new indicators, new steering arms. new lower ball joints, new front bearings are pushed into the powdercoated lower thingies with new hubs, new 'black line' polybushes added to the steering rack mounts, clear grip tape for the pedals has arrived, new door handle covers, loads of clips and bits, new horns, electric window kit, alarm, boot popper and central locking kits on the way too.

The engine and the block & head I bought are currently at the Cornwall Engine Comany, where they are attempting to make on good one from the two. Basically they were both toast, so:
block being bored out, new rings and pistons, new bottom end bearings, crank checked and ground as required, new little end bearings, original con rods, head has been skimmed prior so that'll be checked, new stem oil guides, new seats, new valves, all new gaskets, new oil pick up and pump etc etc. Basically a new engine. Ain't cheap though!  O_o

So better crack on and get it all back together again as the intention is to hit the AGM in it!!

Wish me luck  :P

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Well then, wiring mostly done, drilled a big hole into the inner wing and re-routed most of it (i think! It's all theory as I'm still waiting on the engine!), brake pedal actuator to MC done fabbed up and in and adjusted, tailgate on and boot popper installed, new rain tray CAD (cardboard aided design) done, passenger door sound deadened and built back up, other pedals re-furbed and back in situ.

Found out I went a bit mad with the hole welding up and I've got to drill the throttle cable hole again!  :P

Tomorrows plan is to start on the boot build for the amps and sub enclosure, assuming it's not raining that is!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Found out I went a bit mad with the hole welding up and I've got to drill the throttle cable hole again!  :P

Oops!!!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yup. And the flaming choke cable too  :'(

Well I think I may be getting close to the end of the wiring!

Loom to the rear complete, boot popper wiring sorted, light pick on the boot installed, earths all re-done and the wiring for the heated rear screen found (hopefully!)

Headlight upgrade loom built in the car and placed next to the use box (what a flipping nightmare that was!), alarm almost installed, passenger side interior light pick installed and all earths run together so (hopefully) all the lights inside come on when either door is opened or the boot is popped!  O_o

Horn, reverse light pick up, side lights, head lights and indicators, plus the fan switch and temp sensor all lengthened too.

I'm sick of wiring!

Just got the stereo install to do now! Oh and the electric windows and central locking…………..     :'(   :'(   :'(

That's it I'm off to buy a new car!  :lol:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Looks like your making great progress, well done  :thumbs:

Have you got a time to finish in mind, or taking it as it comes?

Matt

Back to the top
pazwaa thanks Matt,

I'm aiming for the AGM!!!!  :o

Having said that I've been let down by the engine builders for the 3rd time. Another weekend without an engine  :'(

Anyway a few piccies of where it is at the moment

Wiring nightmare!  Distribution board from a later VW being used at the fuse box end to avoid having to run mulitple lives down from the battery, Relay board used for the light upgrade loom that I made up, rather than having lots of extra wire in the bay.

Heater matrix in and completed, windscreen wipers in, alarm siren in and cables re-routed for the washer bag that'll be going in the scuttle area

Fuel line in and finally buttoned up. Flexi's attached, bit of a tight squeeze around the steering rack due to the diameter of the pipes, I think it'll work. M/C in and fluid res installed. Need to see if I can find a smaller one as it just catches on the scuttle panel  :'(  Possibly a couple of washers on the back of the M/C might do it but i really don't want to 'go that way.

Tailgate alignment about as good as it's going to get I think. The new ram is a lot lighter in pull than the Meyle one and it's made a big difference.

So this weekend should hopefully see the seat bases made, the brake lines installed, the scuttle panel finished and windscreen washers installed. I might even try and test all the electrics done so far by attaching the battery.

Wish me luck!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Nice update mate! what fuel line is that? looks tasty!  you running flexy all the way back to the tank? Also where you locating you battery, in the spare wheel well?

Back to the top
Mk1_Golf_Chriz  whatcha mucker, it's 10mm inner bore rubber with cotton overbraid. The main pipes under the car are 10mm O/D copper lines (a complete and utter sod t bend to shape and to get aligned in any sensible way!)

Yup batteries in the boot, in the spare wheel well, it'll be sharing the space with the 12" sub eventually  :lol:  and probably a can of 'emergency tyre repair).  ;)
I think page 3 shows the battery cage and location.

Cheers for looking

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Finally got the engine back last Friday.

Managed to get the box on and stuffed in the hole on Saturday after doing a bit of painting on Friday night.

Front suspension is now going on along with all the final electrics and plumbing.

Piccies to follow (damn you Photobucket!)

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
IMG_20170707_212710.jpg

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
…thanks Photobucket, you're a real pal.  :dry:

Any chance you will be rehosting the earlier snaps that were up prior to the Photobucket fiasco?

Back to the top
Fausto  I will give a go mucker, it's gonna be ling old process methinks!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Headlining went in at the weekend.

Took a while!

Pics to follow once it's a bit brighter as the headlining is black. No good pictures in the dark and gloomy Cornish summer weather  :lol:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
IMG_20170712_212821.jpg

IMG_20170712_212740.jpg

IMG_20170712_212725.jpg

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Well then,

Engine in, carbs on, wiring sorted, fueling sorted.

She runs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So only:
Interior to go in
Complete sound deadening
Stereo install
Bonnet
Doors
Glass
Wheels and tyres to sort
MOT
Test run

Wonder if I'll make the AGM?  O_o

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Well then,

Engine in, carbs on, wiring sorted, fueling sorted.

She runs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So only:
Interior to go in
Complete sound deadening
Stereo install
Bonnet
Doors
Glass
Wheels and tyres to sort
MOT
Test run

Wonder if I'll make the AGM?  O_o

Nice one Ian, happy days!!!

Spank the hours and I'm sure we'll see you in it for the AGM  :P  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nope failed!  :'(

MOT on Wednesday morning.

Wouldn't run (turned out she'd run out of fuel ) and what fuel did come out was peeing out of the top of the bike carbs.

Also failed on a number plate light (dodgy bulb) a front side light (corroded connector - about the only one I didn't change!) and no rear brakes from the foot brake.

I think I have a small air leak somewhere as we've bled her over and over and it'll work for a bit then stops again.

Fianally accepted I wasn't going to make it at midday on Thursday.

So packed up the Derby and come in that instead on the Friday morning.

So back to it!

New bike carbs on the way, another brake fluid reservoir cap stolen from the scrap yard to stick some pressure into the system to see what happens and some more LED bulbs ordered for spares.

Now just the fun stuff!

Seat bases for the MX5 seats to be made.
Final sound deadening stuff.
Stereo install  :cool:

Yay

:P

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Ah that's a shame, but could have been worse I guess ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.