Skip navigation

Panch's 1980 LS with Rallye G60

Back to the top
brilliant build thread this will be very helpful to me in the coming months.  what was the rear disc set up you took back off? where they mk4 calipers?

1983 mk1 gti white bought as a daily now in pieces.. 

Back to the top

Panch_mk1golf said

They came in at £55 I think but they are build your own, the postage was almost £10 but I ordered them around lunch time, the next day they turned up before 11 so very quick service.

That's not a bad price  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Panch_mk1golf said

They came in at £55 I think but they are build your own, the postage was almost £10 but I ordered them around lunch time, the next day they turned up before 11 so very quick service.

That's not a bad price  :thumbs:

I checked today and they did come in at 55 posted so yeah really not a bad price at all!!!

Back to the top

dan-j-w said

brilliant build thread this will be very helpful to me in the coming months.  what was the rear disc set up you took back off? where they mk4 calipers?

Thanks, they are mk4 calipers, mk2 carriers and Goodridge mk2-mk4 hoses and handbrake cable are from c & r mk1-mk4 ones. The whole set up will go back on at a later date. I'd just like to bias it properly which I can't afford to do at the moment.

Back to the top
I've got a lot more done than I've posted, I recently got married and went on my honeymoon but it was my intention to drive the mk1 to the wedding ended up getting very close but not close enough, main things were all the brake lines got finished up and brakes working. Set the gears up properly then I ran out of time to finish the engine up. Any way I've been trying to find a suitable place for my oil cooler since I got back and I've made a cereal boxmock up but still not had much luck yet.  

Back to the top
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Richievr was also kind enough to take the bridesmaids in his Mk1 and I was taken in another friends Mk1 whilst the wife went in her dads model A!

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Nice one  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Not had much time to get out on the Mk1 lately but thought people on here might appreciate mine and my wife's wedding ring box a friend made us for our wedding.

IMG_4285.JPG

Back to the top
Oh wow that's brilliant!! What a good idea Panch_mk1golf  :thumbs:  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Right not much has happened but I've been starting to get back on sorting stuff out!

I needed a place to mount the fuel filter as where I had it was just to get it running and was never going to be its permanent  home.
IMG_5010.JPG

Luckily I remembered I had a stainless accumulator bracket in my spares along with some of the piping. So I'm going to mount it under the car where the accumulator should be, im sure this has been done many times before.
  IMG_5136.JPG

It's cleared a massive space in the bay now, just need to mount it to see what pipe and fittings I'll need.

IMG_5132.JPG
Another nice surprise was finding the allusive shelf that goes under the series 1 dash at my parents. I thought this had been binned but thankfully not!!  IMG_5012.JPG

Back to the top
Managed to find some time to get the filter fitted up, lines made and plumbed in, need one more fitting for the outlet of the filter as it's pretty tight getting the line past the tank. IMG_5430.JPG IMG_5431.JPG

Back to the top
Managed to get a lot of time out in the garage lately,  had to fit a standard clutch cable as the diesel one was fouling on too many things.

IMG_5487.JPG

I Was trying to get it ready for an MOT this coming Thursday but the list is still too long. Ended up re-wiring more than I'd hoped as well. Got most of the lambda loom made up but can't get hold of a male plug to match the female that was in the loom. So while I was sorting some radiator fitment issues a mate stripped out a spare plug I had. 

IMG_5501.JPG
 It's meant the engine bay is now more complete than it has been in a while. 
  IMG_5498.JPG
Tested all the electrics and surprisingly almost everything was working minus a broken headlight bulb and one broken horn, happy days! 

The only disappointing thing was finding this!! 

IMG_5488.JPG
I don't dare remove the arch spat yet as I'm sure it's the only thing holding it together! 😂 

Back to the top
The only original MK1s with no rust under the arch spats are the ones that were either never driven or never allowed to get wet!  :lol:

It's all part of the fun right?  ;)

Back to the top

tomsdubs said

The only original MK1s with no rust under the arch spats are the ones that were either never driven or never allowed to get wet!  :lol:

It's all part of the fun right?  ;)

To be fair it's 37 years old this year and it's never had any body repairs so having a few to do now isn't bad and it was kept outside for a while and driven so like you say all part of the fun 👍🏻

Back to the top
Been having a deeper look at the rust on the inner arch today and I plucked up the courage to remove the arch spat! I was pleasantly surprised!

IMG_5690.JPG  

Had a scrape around it and this seems to be the extent of it which I'm pretty happy about really, certainly not the worst out there! 

IMG_5691.JPG

Back to the top
It's been a long time since my last post but it runs now and it's been for an MOT that it failed.  So very nearly got it roadworthy for the first time in 11 years!!  just need to sort the running issue out as it's running insanely rich!!  IMG_6866.JPG IMG_6897.JPG IMG_6898.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.