Skip navigation

Panch's 1980 LS with Rallye G60

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Why did you decide to change the rear mounting? Is the jmr one a lot better?

Matt

I went with the JMR one as I wanted to stiffen things up a bit but rather than going down the polybush route this still uses a normal rubber bush.

Back to the top
I had it running for while around this point and had to iron out a few problems, 1st having stripped the Rallye loom to the bare essential I hadn't given the feed to the injector rail so initially it wouldn't start. After this was sorted I then found an injector not working, after these two problems the engine has run ok although it still needs some more fine tuning. 

Back to the top
Broke an HT lead that really wasn't that old so decided the fork out for some magnecore ones

This is how it say whilst I had it running again.

I then decided to turn my attention to the rear beam again but refurbish it properly this time and upgraded to rear discs although I have since removed them and gone back to drums!

Back to the top
Replaced the crappy plastic G60 fuel rail with a nice BBM fuel rail and swapped the lines over to AN type fittings.

Old 

New

Fitted an ECS magnetic drain plug as well.

Back to the top
On the front brakes decided to go down the Vauxhall route using 256 mk2 discs, I've already fitted a mk2 servo and master cylinder back when it was still road worthy.

Back to the top
I think this almost brings the project up to date, the next few updates is things I've done in the last couple of weeks. 

I had this pile of parts ready to go for a while and got the last pieces a few weeks back.

image.jpeg

Back to the top
First to go together was the rear drums. I switched back to the drums as mine had no bias valve and I'm working more to a deadline now so needed things back together.

image.jpeg

Next up the hubs got assembled.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Mounted up the passenger side hub and got the Vauxhall brakes fitted up too.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Also got the passenger side shaft on too.

image.jpeg

As the box is a mk2 one and had 100mm cups I've fitted 100mm cv's and rocco shafts.

Back to the top
Following week I managed to get the other side put together!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Then last week I realised I had to drop the rear beam bushes out again as I hadn't fitted the handbrake cable clips. Schoolboy error there!

image.jpeg

It did give me a chance to renew some of the brake lines though which is how it now sits. Hopefully I will get out and get the brake lines finished up this week!

Back to the top
Just a quick simple post swapped the metal golf ball gear knob I had back to a standard Gti one!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Managed to get out and do a quick job in between rain showers today. I've been meaning to sort this for ages now, I've had this neuspeed lower brace for a long long time and finally got round to fitting it today.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
I've had one fitted to mine for about 20yrs now, noticed when I was waxoyling underneath the other day, that it does move slghtly, not solid as I was expecting, is yours the same?

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
I'm guessing you mean it moves on the rose joints or do you mean somewhere else?

Back to the top

Panch_mk1golf said

I'm guessing you mean it moves on the rose joints or do you mean somewhere else?

Yes that's it, I had never noticed it before wondered if it had always been like it, or wanted tightening up.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
I'm sure it's meant to move on the rose joints as mine does too, possibly to help with comfort and still allow some vertical movement but still holds it laterally while cornering. Might not be correct just my way of thinking.

Back to the top
Thanks I think you are right then all normal.

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Small update

Managed to get the front lines finished up and ordered up some flexi's from Hosetechnik. Really pleased with good and speedy service from them would highly recommend them to anyone.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also mounted up the intercooler on some rubber mounts finally.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Picked up a new plug from Vw to make the missing part of the lambda loom and started measuring up to make a bracket for a brake light switch on the pedal

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back to the top
The hoses look good. What sort of cost did they come in at?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
They came in at £55 I think but they are build your own, the postage was almost £10 but I ordered them around lunch time, the next day they turned up before 11 so very quick service.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.