Skip navigation

Panch's 1980 LS with Rallye G60

Back to the top
Once the bottom end was back in there was various stages to building it back up I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I'd also decided around this time the Gti box wasn't going to have long enough legs for what I wanted so after talking to some other people with G60s using 4T rod boxes I set out to find one, I actually came across an ATH gearbox which has almost identical ratios. After a lot of back and forth with different people and forums to check the ratios I had a friend of mine rebuild the box for me. 

The second gear syncro and selector had seen better days so they were replaced for new,

I also decided I wanted a LSD so went for a wave track diff and Arp fixings.

Along with all new bearings and gaskets of course.

Last edit: by Panch_mk1golf

Back to the top
I also went for the wavetrac diff, it's a great bit of kit and really helps to keep the wheels planted👍

Back to the top
I've not driven a mk1 with an LSD in yet so it will be a new experience. Melteddrummer I've been reading through your thread and yours is an incredible build!!

Back to the top
whilst the gear box was being rebuilt I ordered up a Mocal oil cooler and did some of the cooling system.

I then started on making the boost piping.

Started to look more like a complete engine at this point.

Back to the top
Had the CO2 pot welded on and the ends rolled the had the piping painted black.

Was really starting to look complete at this point.

The part I've missed out is it took 3 goes to get a 4 branch manifold that fitted, the first one was too long at the collector, the second fitted but was a mild steel on then the third and final one that's still fitted is a G-werks one.

Back to the top
Picture of the 4 branch I finished up with. 

image.jpeg

Next up I decided I wanted to not use a coolant header tank, the car originally only had a top fill so used a stand cap and a moroso filler neck to fit into the top hose which then over flows to a remote catch tank. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back to the top
It was round about this time I got the gearbox back and decided to fit it up.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

When it went back in I gave the charger and the inlet pipe a coat of satin black as well.

Back to the top
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Got the interior to a point where it all matched, I went for the mk3 recaro's due to having a bit of height adjustment and I'd always wanted the tartan Gti fabric and came across this.

It now all matches, to a point, newton door cards, original Gti rears and mk3 recaro's up front. Carpet is still original though. 

Back to the top
Had it towed over to a local exhaust place by richievr  on here to have the exhaust fitted properly. Up to this point it was all done on my parents gravel drive so jacking it up and crawling around underneath fitting the exhaust was something I was happy to let someone else do. The exhaust is a super sprint group A as far as I know, picked it up for a good price at the time and it was new and still packaged. It is loud though so may one day change it out for something else. 

Back to the top
Great thread, really interesting read, can't wait to see how it looks now!

Back to the top
Great build and build thread!

Hopefully you got some heat shielding around that 4 branch and bit of exhaust by the gear lever gaitor.

Back to the top

Yomp said

Great build and build thread!

Hopefully you got some heat shielding around that 4 branch and bit of exhaust by the gear lever gaitor.

I've already wrapped some heat wrap around the steering boot can just see the clip in the photo but I'm also going to make a shield for it. Have thought about getting the manifold ceramic coated though. Wrapping the bit around the gear lever gator is one of the many things on the list. 

Cheers for the kind words!

Back to the top
Although the car hasn't been on the road it's had a few sets of wheels so here's a run down on what it's had!

It's original wheels were standard steels but the first set was a set of ATS classics, i ran these till I took it off the road.

The next set a bought was a set of HTN  rennsports, I had every intention that these would be the wheels the car would stay on but the offsets would of made for a lot work so I recently sold them and they ended up on a certain soft top E30 and looked better on that than they ever did on a mk1!! 

At the same time I had the HTNs I also had these. Works wheels. 

They fitted much better but after a couple of test fits I decided they were not the look I was after so I don't think I've even got a photo of them on the car. 

For most of its time sat outside the mk1 sat on this set of P-slots.

The RSL's from my campaign also made they're way onto it for a little bit too 

There was a point I actually owned all of these wheels at the same time, which got a bit excessive, but I sold all of them and went on to the next set.

Back to the top
Id always wanted a set of bbs to go on the mk1 but wasn't sure on sizes I wanted to run so a friend of mine let me test fit his,

I got my hands on a set of RMs,

After the first test fit of my friend I decided to got for 7.5 and 8 inch widths so ordered up some stainless dishes and gold bolts.

Whilst I was waiting for these I had the centres painted. 

I wasn't sure wether to do black dishes or not so used the standard dishes to tryout colours. 

In the end I decided to keep them bare stainless.

Back to the top
I think it was around this time I bought a house so the mk1 had a short trip on a low loader!

I also had to fix a school boy error on the bbs wheels too, in my hurry to get them painted i didn't realise how many times prior they'd been painted  so the stainless dishes wouldn't fit properly so I had to have them blasted and repainted. I think there was at least 5 different colours they had been!

So I had to rebuild them again.

Then we test fitted them on my fiancé polo 6n2 Gti before building a set for her!

And finally on the mk1 where they have now stayed and are also now my only set of wheels!

One last picture of the collection together before the HTNs and works wheels were sold! 

Back to the top
You've certainly gone through a few sets of wheels.  :lol:

Love the way you seem to have them stored in your hallway, that would not be allowed in my house  :(

Matt

Back to the top
Yeah It did get a bit silly really I could never use them all.

I'm lucky that my future wife is also into mk1s and car parts in the house is regular for us, at present theres more of her bits in the house than mine. The purple bbs are for her mk1 and it's the spare room/parts storage room!

Back to the top
After already renewing all the engine mounts for new, a friend of mine recommended JMR and after looking on their website I ordered up a new rear mount.

All fitted up.

Bought a TSR gear linkage kit and a short shift as I had one on the campaign and really liked it, along with coltech classics strut tops

Picked more up from the powder coaters too and replaced the fixings with stainless ones.

Back to the top
Why did you decide to change the rear mounting? Is the jmr one a lot better?

Matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.