Skip navigation

Cutting out

Back to the top
Hi all i picked up my cabby last week from the garage and its about a 28 mile drive home. All the way home it was fine. Apart from when i put my foot down going up a slight hill it cut out. After taking the air box off i noticed the air valve was wide open. And it would restart.
After leaving it to cool when i got it come it started. 
I drove it to work on saturday completely fine didnt miss a beat, exactly what i wonted. 
So feeling full off confidence  i drove to work again this time not as successful. Same problem as before. Cut out on the way to work and on the way home. 
Its a 1.8 manual running a pietberg carb. 
Anyone any ideas??
Cheers in advance Ben

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
check the warm air flap opens when the engine is running, plus the metal shroud on exhaust and the tube from it to airbox is all good for starters

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
The warm air flap the brass one ontop of the carb. I have just bought a new airbox tube as that was missing. 

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
The warm air flap the brass one ontop of the carb. I have just bought a new airbox tube as that was missing. 

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
the brass one on the top is your choke flap, it should be fully open when warm :)

the warm air one is inside the airbox itself, under the domed bit at the front. it can get sticky, plus if the pipe to it or the shroud is missing it wont work very well

there should be a vacvuum line from it to the air temp sensor in the side of the airbox, and then from there to a nipple on the rear of the carb which can fall off and stop the flap opening

Back to the top
Nice one cheers john. Am nipping in the garage this aft. The car hasnt been on the road on 7 years so finding a few cobwebs. 

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
Checked all vac hoses all good. One thing i have noticed is am missing the green vac ball (if that makes sence). Replaced the fuel filter as it was full of . Put the new hot air feed pipe on. Problem is still happening. Am going to replace the fuel pump. Anyone any more ideas. 

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
If the car has been off the road for 7 years you may have rust/dirt in the fuel tank, have you checked the fuel filler neck, shine a torch down it and look for rusty holes.
See how long it takes your new fuel filter to fill up with bits and maybe blow back down the fuel line going back to the fuel tank, you should be able to blow down it with your mouth and hear bubbling in the fuel tank.
There is an inspection hole underneath the back seat base were you can remove the fuel gauge sender and pick up and look inside your fuel tank, if it is full of rusty bits get a magnet on a bit of string/wire and fish out as much rust as possible then clean the magnet then drop in the fuel tank to collect the rest while driving.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
need to get that green ball refitted, its an essential part of the vacuum system. prob worth looking at all the other vacuum hoses too, if thats missing the rest of the lines could be wrong…
http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14917

Back to the top
Aby idea where i can get hold of the green ball? 

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
shouldnt be hard, have a look on the various forums, classifieds, ebay, facebook groups etc. anyone who has upgraded to a weber can bin the ball so they often end up in the bin

Back to the top
Managed to get one. I'll try getbot fitted next week along with a new fuel pump. Thankyou fir your help. 

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
So managed to grab 30 mins this aft. And looked in the fuel tank. And it was full of rust. So got a magnet in and got everything out. Then look at the fuel filler neck and it has massive rust holes in. So new filler neck ordered and all new parts getting fitted on Friday.  20160419_145431.jpg

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
Did you get a filler neck for a cabriolet as they are different than a tin top and for some reason a lot more expensive.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Yeah got one off ebay coming through vw heritage. £38 with free P+P. Bargain 

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK1-GOLF-CABRIO-Fuel-filler-neck-Mk1-Golf-Jetta-/181864582798?hash=item2a57f94e8e:g:~uAAAOSwd0BV3Mn4

This one by any chance?
You may find it won't fit, do you have a space saver spare wheel?
If so you have the larger fuel tank and you may have problems fitting this one.

Back to the top
No normal size spare wheeel. Hopefully it will fit. If not remove the old one rub it down and patch it up. 

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
You may be alright then, I did fit a tin top one to mine but the filler neck need cutting and welding to get the right angle.
It's worth fitting a new rubber hose and jubile clips while it all apart.
If you get the fuel level down to just above the red you don't get any fuel coming out of the tank once it's jacked up at the back.

Give the new filler neck a dam good paint but advoid hammerite as its to hard and just chips off over time.

See my thread about 3/4 way down.
I have a space saver spare and a new filler neck for mine is £100 instead of £25 for a tin top!
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fmy-daily-drive-1988-gti#post_1504327

Back to the top
Sound cheers mark. Should need to jack up I'm lucky and have a pit in the garage. All fails i drain the tank. Thankyou for your help and I'll keep you posted on how i get on. 

I just chop the chips🍳🍳🍳

Back to the top
Be careful in a pit with petrol fumes as you can get over come by them in a pit with not much air flow, you may be best jacking the car up as you need to remove the wheel to get to the bolts and hoses holding the filler neck on.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.