Skip navigation

A long time coming

Back to the top

For the last two years, I've been in limbo...

borednow said

Mr Funk

I have an old 90's Alpine Tape Deck here, apprently there is a unit that can be attached the CD changer control and ipod can then be installed to it. Any good to you?

That would be pretty epic.
Will happily bung over some cash.  Alpine do a Bluetooth/Dab module that apparently fits everything.
I use something called Xcarlink in the audi which is effectively the same thing.
This is the bit that I love, throwing around ideas to see if something works.
Mike - Got to zip a Steering rack to Neil in the next week or so so I'll drop them off.  Use them and if you like them just replace them when you order your own.  There's no rush as it'll be for the doors and they need stripping first.

Back to the top
Mr Funk

Have you got an off cut to leave as a sample so I can have a look? It's more that I'll be a while before I'm at sound deadening stage and don't want to leave you high and dry.
I haven't even had time to go and pick up the brake bar yet.
I'm rebuilding the bathroom at the mo, so that is taking every spare second I have  :'(

Back to the top
Haven't forgotten, just haven't had the chance to nip up to the garage.

So, those tops mounts……
I can tell the difference between internet coilovers and something a bit special but I have to admit that new mounts + what I think are Joms is absolutely brilliant fun.
The rears need the same (like a fool I didnt think to order) but the ride quality is so much better.
Work wise it's all slowed down a bit, just because it's all kinda working.  Can't really complain.
Need to get the rear top mounts and there's bits of interior trim that I could do with but as it stands I could happily run it for the summer.
Think I know what I'm doing with the stereo.  While expensive I may just bite the bullet and get a retro fitted period unit.  Normally I'm not concerned with originality but it fits with the semi OEM look I'm going for and has all the functionality of my beloved Alpines.
As you may remember the boot I stuck on was a real dog's breakfast.  In the past the car it had come from  had been in an accident and the resulting spray job was utter monkey sp*nk.
So last weekend I decided to take a toffee wheel to the black vinyl and see what I could salvage.
Turns out it was weirder than I thought.
what I'd assumed was that the crackle effect was a really bad spray job but it looks like the whole thing has been vinyl wrapped then sprayed.
God only knows what they were thinking when they did it but it means I need the whole thing stripping and redoing.
Not a biggy, just means I get some bits done before the full body job.  Chosen to use a guy called Graham Mussett who was the exceptionally talented guy that did my green rocco over a decade ago.  He'll strip he boot down, weld the holes for the wiper and sprayer and respray.
So I can either shell out for that or grab the all the engine bay hoses and really crack on with the bay….

Oh, and Boba's there to demonstrate how fun it can be driving.  For the record, that's my wife behind the wheel.  You can see it but the grin was massive.
  IMG_7771.JPG IMG_7813.JPG IMG_7814.JPG

Last edit: by Mr Funk

Back to the top
Sounds like a plan with the tailgate.

Boba looks like he's having fun there!  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Started tackling the engine bay over the weekend ad ordered some of the grommets and hoses I need.

Originally the plan had been to replace the hoses with silicone but I've decided against it….

Here comes a little explanation of the way my brain works, keep with it.

I've always been a little obsessive about things.  I can't leave jobs unfinished and one thing normally leads to another.  On the whole, it's not a bad thing but it can lead to me over thinking problems or, worst of all, taking a regular situation and over thinking it to the point where it becomes a problem.
With the Bandit it was the wiring and running gear - I'd get obsessed with wiring diagrams, constantly re-reading them and them trying to apply that to the  real world before becoming frustrated with how untidy everything was.  With the running gear I started by buying poly bushes then eventually went so far as rebuilding the front and  rear running gear with powder coated equipment as I couldn't get my head round putting new bushes into old kit.
I've no idea what causes it but its definitely "worse" when I'm running at full chat.  Work's going really well (although there's still bits to sort), I've cut right back on the beer and I'm back to exercising regularly (I'm generally at the gym at 4.45am two or three days a week).  I'm relaxed and I'm sleeping well. The down side is that what passes for my brain is at full speed all the time.  Fantastic when I'm at work, can be a problem when I'm at home.

Which brings us back to….

Sorting the engine bay.
Everything needs a clean and the last of the red and yellow needed swapping out.
Removed the oil cooler ready to swap and the fan so I could get around the engine, all the water hoses and that awful metal water hose ready for replacement.
Started to degrease everything but need something heavier as it's coated in oil and that would be pointless if I was putting silicone hoses on and replacing all the grommets.
Then I couldn't remove the cam cover (it's the hex bolt that's the problem).
Suddenly I realised that it's all a bit pointless and I'm winding myself up.
A majority of the hoses are actually fine although the grommets could do with changing.
And that oil?  that's always going to be there.  Okay so everything is painted either green or red but who really cares?
Luckily I caught myself before I shelled out on all the hoses.  All the mechanical and fixtures are getting sorted but there's no need for shiny hoses.

Just gotta remember to relax.
Engine Bay.JPG

Back to the top
I always think of oil leaks as a rust prevention system.  :lol:

The oil leaks I've got had have worked wonders to the underside of my car.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

I always think of oil leaks as a rust prevention system.  :lol:

The oil leaks I've got had have worked wonders to the underside of my car.

mark1gls

Funny you should say that Mark!
Don't have any oil leaks on my Golf's but it's worked really well on our Nissan 4x4.  :lol:

Mr Funk

You're doing a great job mate, just chill and take your time.
That's all part of the fun, although it might not feel like it sometimes!  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Holy moly, nearly a year without an update.

Needless to say, that's not quite true but for some reason I've just not updated the thread.

Okay, so i'm stacked out with work at the moment (a ludicrous tale in itself), trying to keep it all together, attempting to keep on top of the Scirocco Register stuff I've been neglecting for years, supporting the wife in a massive career change and sortng Yoda.

Piece of piddle eh?

Anyhoo, full update coming but here's some pics from the weekend.  All the running gear's been sorted and coated, th enew suspension's gone on along with the wheels.
Only downside is that a mate kerbed the passenger side front on his first trip out.  He was absolutely mortified, as you might expect.  
Complete accident, the car's fine, no harm done.  End of the day, it's just a car.
Beam 2.jpg Beam.jpg Big Wheels.jpg Front.jpg Suspension.jpg

Back to the top
Busy, busy then!?  :lol:

Lucky you fitting a lower brace, I've got two and neither fits due to being a small block  :(  Bummer!

What coilies did you use and how are they? My rears won't go high enough and bounce all over the place so I'm looking for replacements that won't boune me old bones around  :lol:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
The lower front is a must have.  Combine it with the coileys and it turns into a roller skate.

Got APs on this one from Mark at Classic VW.

It's all settling at the mo and there's only one seat so needs tweaking but first impressions are good.

Used Weitec Hicon GT on the roccos and they were brilliant.

Back to the top
Ta

I might have see if I can farbricate something for the lower front.

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.