Skip navigation

A long time coming

Back to the top

For the last two years, I've been in limbo...

The bit below was something I wrote for something else so excuse the odd references.  It gives a quick overview of where I've come from and what's led me up to here. I'll throw some pics up later and a better explanation.

But why would you ever buy an old car?  A new one is much better?

Le sigh.

For the last two years I've put my  20 year passion to one side and concentrated on other things in life. For those of you that don't know, I've spent two decades deeply involved in the Vw family with a good few of those within the excellent Scirocco Register. Then, at the tail end of 2013 I left a job I absolutely hated and threw myself into my new role.  I've always been dedicated and I knew that I wouldn't have the same freedom to disappear from the work radar for days on end so I made the somewhat rash decision to sell the car I'd spent seven years building (in pieces, obviously), gradually hand over my responsibilities to SR and leave it all behind for a while while I concentrated on the new job. Here's where we fast forward a bit.  I'll try to keep all this as simple and short as possible but…. Over the next few years I went through a bit of a change.  I learnt how to interact with people a bit more (my old role was very solitary) and actually got to know the people I work with and relaxed a bit.  I spent whole weekends with my wife and didn't spend all my free time stressing about parts, events and other bits and bobs.  Oh yeah, and I put weight on. But the best thing was that I I fell in love with cars again. There's been a lot of hate over the last 10/15 years about the "scene" and the people in it.  Frankly, I couldn't give a shet, I just sucked all the bits I liked in and dipped in and out whenever I felt the need and it worked.   I Realised just how much I love the hobby I have and how lucky I've been to meet the people I have.  UnSurprisingly, I discovered that my buddies inside the scene where my buddies outside as well, the shared love we had for the money stealing, mobile skips we all obsessed over was just one part of our friendship. So know we find ourselves here, and the statement up top.  Ish. For about the last six months I've had the itch, and it's the itch you get when you know something's inevitable.  Everyone has seen it coming and it's been nice and gradual.  I've been able to put together a time frame (I'm 40 in less than 18 months) and the figures all work out. I've taken my time, narrowed down my options and waited until what I really wanted has come up rather than get the first thing offered and regret it later.  As it turns out, the lucky candidate has been found by someone I trust and who's as enthusiastic and passionate as I am. So anyway, that statement. The current daily is a very quick, very comfy, four wheel drive pocket rocket.  It's reliable, a pleasure to drive and everything works.  Why, as my colleague rightly points out, would I want to choose to drive a car that was built before most people were born with no heating, no power steering, no abs and none of the luxuries I've come to expect? If you've read all this and can't understand why then I probably won't ever be able to explain.  If you can then I'll see you at pod this year with a beer.  

Last edit: by Mr Funk

Back to the top
So this is Yoda (old, green, makes funny noises).
First thing was to change the number plates as the previous owner had illegally spaced them so they read as somethings incredibly offensive.

Back to the top
Glad to hear you have found the love again, a tidy  looking tin top you have there and if it ends up like your Mk2 scirocco then it will be something special.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Cheers fella,

This is a long term project so I'm in no rush but there's a few things that urgently need sorting.

But first…

Over the years I've primarily played with mi2 roccos.  I always liked them as most other people hated them and I enjoyed the challenge.  Eventually however, I discovered that it was the people that were the biggest draw.  I can honestly say that I've never been part of such a friendly, knowledgable and relaxed club.

But I've always wanted another mk1.  I had one in the mid '90's, back when you could pick up cars relatively cheaply.  It was black and it had a bbs body kit and I loved it but unfortunately it was an utter dog and this was back when clubs weren't really in t' internet so it ended up being scrapped.

The next bit I've already explained: toys cars, sold them, mr sensible for 2 years. (I say sensible, my daily is a stage 1 mk1 tt knocking out 260bhp with 4wd).  Eventually I realise I have the cash, I have 18months before the big 40 and a car turns up.
No history, only done minimal miles over the last ten to fifteen years and picked up by a bloke I know and trust with the express intention of getting it into a condition I can work with.

Balls, train's coming into the station.

Back in a minute.  Grab yourself a brew or something.

Back to the top
Okay,

So, like I said, I'm a bit busy.

I generally only get to work on the car over the weekends so there's a massive flurry of activity and then nothing for a while.

So in a month there's been a change of circumstances my end.
Originally the big bonus and commission from Q1 was going to get Weitecs and Ronals.  That, along with a couple of other bits would have seen me through this summer.
But there's a change on the horizon with regard to work and the money will need putting away for a couple of months "just in case".  It's no big deal, just changes things.
So far I have:
Fixed the boot - seal and strut
Removed the duck bill - it was ripping off parts of the bodywork.  Ordered a GL spoiler for normal use and will get another duck bill later on.
Wired in the Dash Cam
disconnected the Wur - This was causing the warm start issue we think.  got a spare sat there just waiting to go on.
Ordered a load of powder coated parts from Classic VW (including the lower front brace) and Crazy Quiff.
Started the rear build - boarded out the boot and fibre glassed the wheel well.  This will eventually become a sub enclosure and perhaps a tool bin.

All in all though, it's nice nick.

Back to the top
So this is under the bonnet.  Not sure what the previous owner was thinking (you can't see it but the driver shafts are red as well)
Under bonnet 2.JPG Under bonnet 2.JPG

Back to the top
Under bonnet 2.JPG Under bonnet 2.JPG

Back to the top
So what's the plan?

Actually, it's quite simple as I went a little too far with the last one and it ended up causing problems.
IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0665.JPG

Audi door handles, three (or four, i can never remember) engines, rolled arches, custom seats blah blah blah.  a great car but it spent more time off the road being fixed than it did being driven.

Weitecs, nice set of rims (probably Ronal Mcdonalds - as my wife insists on calling them), clean the engine bay up and replace everything that's been painted with either new kit (421 manifold) or powder coated black and a small stereo.  
Tail end of next year it'll be off to the Rust Republic in Nottingham for a complete strip down and respray.  Had thought of a new colour but given it's Lhasa Green, a tin top and it's 1983 even I agree it has to stay the original colour.  I've even opted not to fit the single lamp grill.  I must be getting old.
The body work will be subtle - De wiper and delock the boot and remove the lock and ariel from the wing.

Back to the top
So it's been a good weekend.  For the most part.

Managed to finish off the board for the boot and the backing plate and the acoustic cloth arrived.
Eventually the tub will go into the wheel well along with a sub but for the time being it'll cover a multitude of sins.
IMG_5561.JPG

Put the rear parcel shelf back in as well, what a proper faff!

Unfortunately the warm start issue is still there.  Leave it for a minute and you're fine.  Anything longer and you've missed your window and you may as well grab yourself a coffee as you've got a 30-40 minute wait to look forward to.

Still, I managed to fit the number plate (more on that in a minute), take a stroll round currys and B and Q, grab myself a brew and wait for a mate who checked all the connections then followed me home.

A quick drive home and another brew later, the bonnet is up and we're peering into the multi coloured engine bay to try and make sense of the problem.

At some point someone has spent some considerable money on the car.  Yes, it's on terrible coilovers (you never appreciate good ones until you've experienced bad ones) but it's running a rear disc conversion, what looks like a supersprint system and four branch.  The ISV has also been removed, they've fitted an oil cooler and actually paid someone to paint all the engine parts.  I'd need to take a proper look but I'd swear blind it was running a cam as well.

Little bits and pieces next weekend - got a load arrived from Mark at Classic-vw hopefully.
Also sent the letter to the dvla about the offensive plate.  Hoping they see where I'm coming from and issue something that won't get me garroted.

Back to the top
The warm start problem probably means you are losing residual fuel pressure at switch off. Either your non-return valve on the fuel pump, accumulator, or failing o-rings on the primary pressure regulator. You will need fuel pressure gauges to be sure.

1986 GTI Cabriolet ("dambuster")

2000 Mk4 Cabriolet Avantgarde (bought for the mrs)

2001 Zafira 1.8

Back to the top
Okay, so update time.

Things have moved slowly, but this isn't always a bad thing.

There's been a delay in receiving some of the parts which has been disappointing.  Bit of a pity but not the worst thing in the world, the refund will go toward a couple of bits I desperately need, like a rad hose.  It's got a slight leak and seems to pish itself but only when it wants to.  Nowt too bad but leaking coolant isn't a great thing and it needs sorting.

The possible problems I was talking about have now disapeered.  It sounds bizarre but being in a situation where people are trying to offer you more money and excellent working conditions while your current work place scramble desperately to sort things can be a bit stressful.  Consequently I've been an unapproachable, grumpy bellend for the past six weeks (few people have been able to tell the difference).  But it's all sorted and means I'm comfortable spending the spare cash so the wheels or suspension will hopefully be going on this/next month.

Had a few bits arrive which have made a world of difference, most notably the rear hatch seal and parcel shelf hangers.  Sound like small things the boot no longer leaks and I can work in it without the bloody thing constantly smashing me in the head - It's attached to the back of the seat and used to be held up with a piece of bamboo.

Other stuff is fairly standard - Ordered a gear linkage kit from Martin Emment.  Utterly beautiful piece of kit:

In other news, the DVLA turned down my request to change the plate on the ground that it wasn't offensive enough.  Personally, I beg to differ but I can live with it for the time being.

Discovered this, could well be part of the problem with the accelerator.  Yes, that's a massive grommet:

Someone's tried putting towing light on I reckon leading to this.

Had a chance to finally look at the speaker in the rear door cards.  They look like really old clarions

Back to the top
With your grommet on the accelerator pedal a Mk2 Golf one fits and is a harder rubber than a mk1 golf which are rubbish, GSF sell the mk2 golf grommet.
Info here.
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=mk1-golf-chat_2%2Fhow-to-fix-accelerator

Bush from GSF.
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/732vg0010

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Cracking,  thanks for that

Sat in the office about to order which is handy.

Back to the top
So….

Things have got progressively busier at work but the work hasn't stopped.

The Kbar, Gear linkage are all fitted and the wiring for the VDOs is all installed and waiting for the sender.

I'm at work at the moment so can't post the pics but you may have seen the wiring issues crop up on FB.  At some point someone's hooked up something that's melted all the illumination cabling then cut them at the plug ends.  It took a while but I traced it all back and replaced it like for like with kit from Autosparks along with new plugs.  Spoke to Mr Butler who kindly talked me through everything and helped me trace the wires I needed.
The upshot of all this is that the VDO gauges are now on plugs and everything works.  Eventually, when I finally get round to installing a stereo, I'll put in a new feed just to be on the side.

About two weeks ago I bit the bullet and shipped the car off to the wizards at D and D autos.
Been using them since I moved to Ashford and they've managed to retain the friendliness of a small garage while expanding.  It worked for them as they like playing with the older stuff and because there was no rush, they could do it when they had spare time.
Picked up yesterday and I happily confirm that the problem has been solved.  Apparently the return valve on the fuel pump was knackered and the system was losing pressure.  At £60 an hour it isn't the cheapest but the service is superb and th ecar runs perfectly.

next up is a proper service then I can start replacing the red and yellow stuff under the bonnet.  The rad cowling, cam cover and fuel filter clamp are all sat at home.

Bug Jam's in less than a month and the original plan was to spend this month's commission on Ronals but I'm not sure.  The sensible plan would be to get a full lock kit, front wiper pump and a new winder motor…..

I could show you the last time I was sensible.  It's was a long, long time ago.

Back to the top
That gear linkage kit looks really well made. Do they do the weighted one seperately?

Your boot floor you've made looks really good too nice project.

Back to the top
Good job tracing the wiring problem  :thumbs:  I wouldn't have a clue where to start with something like that  :o

The gear linkage looks a great piece of kit  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Panch - Speak to Martin.  He's on the Facebook group and is one of the friendliest, most professional people I've dealt with in a while.
The wiring is a mixed bag and I've learnt through mistakes that I need to know when to walk away and let a grown up handle things to be honest.

So this weekend was pretty awesome.
Over the past few weeks a friend and I have been talking to a chap selling an old project.  He'd had it for a while, bought a load of bits but was now having to get rid to he could fund another project.  We offered him what he wanted and had it towed to mine ready to strip it of anything either of us can use and sell the rest on.  He's got money in his pocket (he's also round the corner from me and we ended uyp getting on liek a house on fire) and we've got a load of spares that we both needed.
Saturday morning we went to work stripping the donor and changing everything over.  The colour match was pretty spot on (I say that, Yoda's three different shades of Lhasa Green and the spray job on the donor was appalling) and I got a working passenger door (winder was busted) and a boot that hasn't blown.
The best part was new panels.  A new Front and rear valance, sills, outer and inner arch along with both wings are now tucked away upstairs in the garage.  These'll stay there until it goes to paint late next year.

The news wasn't so good for the donor.

At some point in it's life it'd suffered a major accident.  Once we'd stripped everything back the bodged repair was pretty obvious, even to a clown like me.  The weld on the rear were shocking and the rear drivers quarter was mostly filler.  Plus, there were holes everywhere.
I don;t particularly like taking cars off the road but I think this was definately the right choice, it was a death trap.

Sunday bought another sunny day so the VDO gauges went back in (now have the sender unit for the pressure gauge but need to trace the right wire - not to concerned for the time being).  Need to redo the harness for them but there was a delay in the stuff from Autosparks (called them to find out where the order was, turns out I never confirmed the order.  Fool).

The rear build is now practically finished - just need the cover making and the foam ordering.

It's still hilarily fun to drive, although th etyres are starting to worry me and I'm hoping to get them sorted in tuime for bug jam.

meantime, here's a terrible pick of me in the yard.  I look a little shocked and dim.  That's normal.
IMG_6068.JPG

Back to the top
Cut the shell in half to make a trailer!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Honestly bud, I wouldn't risk it.
BBq perhaps but nowt else.

Back to the top
That's a good idea. A rear end BBQ ( that sounds dirty, but I don't mean it that way )

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.