Skip navigation

Original Campaign FVT

Back to the top

mike.d1979 said

Wow how lovely. Does it still have the new car smell at that mileage?  :wub:  :wub:

I've not noticed any smells but then i've not sat in it for 2 months as i cant get in it without moving the black one.

Back to the top
A few more pics of the items that came with it and the level of detail the owner went to……

A collection of magazines prior to the purchase……

Various newspaper clippings of reviews……

Dealer Brochures…

Sunday Magazine article with MK2 review. Obviously when you could buy a Campaign you had the choice of a MK2 instead…

Original quotation and price list

Various Radio Brochures

Even has the original Key tag before the dealer put their own key ring on the keys..

and the dealer paper mats for the carpet!…..

Original Tax disc holder….

Post sale care brochures….

GTI Drivers Club Letter…..

List of oil changes……

A typical page from the log……

A brand new unused wheel centre….

OEM air filter..

Original Cambelt

and fan belt……

The owner made up various blocks so not to damage the underside when jacking….

And then various articles and brochures when he was considering a 16v MK2…..

Clarkson's thoughts on the MK1……

Back to the top

Wasn't really looking but couldn't say no...........

Wow , you lucky lucky man

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
Meticulous documentation and history, love it! How hard was it for him to part with it? Must have been difficult!

Back to the top

jinjar said

Meticulous documentation and history, love it! How hard was it for him to part with it? Must have been difficult!

I asked the same question to him and  got the impression he was relieved it was going as it had become almost a burden to him. He knew it was probably one of the best out there as far as originality goes and he wanted it to go to an enthusiast but didn't want dealers involved or test pilots kicking the tyres.

I haven't actually driven it yet apart from reversing it off the trailer! :lol:

Back to the top
What a find! There can't be many others out there left like this. :cool:

Back to the top

sp8y said

What a find! There can't be many others out there left like this. :cool:

If there are and you find one and you can afford it then buy it. If you can't afford it sell a kidney and then buy it - that's what I did! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looks fantastic. And the way the guy has logged everything makes you wonder why they buy a car. Certainly not to drive. Hopefully you get the nerve to drive such a original car.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Hi
Personally i would just drive it, it would drive me bonkers otherwise just looking at unless i had the facilities to properly stored away out of site in a proper low hum environment, I do appreciated its originality but does it really matter if it is in original paint or not as long as its kept in VGC its no shame to the owner. Keeping a car in this condition even if not used is an art. Not as iconic as the mk1 gti but I have recently purchased a mint mk2 16v in original paint garaged all its life etc but out with the winter I am just going to drive it.
cheers
baz

Back to the top
My 83 GTI was bought new from the same dealership! Does your car have the original number plate? would love to see it so i could have a duplicate made.

Back to the top
Looks even better than I thought after we were talking about it

What an absolute Gem mate  :thumbs:

I would detail it and seal it, and then just enjoy for special occasions

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

DrDRE said

My 83 GTI was bought new from the same dealership! Does your car have the original number plate? would love to see it so i could have a duplicate made.

I'll sort a pic for you. You don't happen to have the original dealer decal in the rear window do you?

richyhill said

Looks even better than I thought after we were talking about it

What an absolute Gem mate  :thumbs:

I would detail it and seal it, and then just enjoy for special occasions

Thanks Richy!
I said it was a good one when we spoke but words only maybe don''t really do it justice!

bazmk1 said

Hi
Personally i would just drive it, it would drive me bonkers otherwise just looking at unless i had the facilities to properly stored away out of site in a proper low hum environment, I do appreciated its originality but does it really matter if it is in original paint or not as long as its kept in VGC its no shame to the owner. Keeping a car in this condition even if not used is an art. Not as iconic as the mk1 gti but I have recently purchased a mint mk2 16v in original paint garaged all its life etc but out with the winter I am just going to drive it.
cheers
baz

I don't really need to drive it  as I have my black one if I need a MK1 buzz.
I have to admit this one is more of an investment but also a nice piece of hardware to own at the same time.
However, I will drive it very occasionally I guess as keeping them stood doesn't do them any favours in the long term.

Back to the top
Wow what a find.  I remember you telling me about this when we spoke at the Malvern show.  It looks just stunning, and a bonus having all the paperwork and even the wooden blocks for jacking up.  I'd just give it a light polish now and again and take out on dry days.

Back to the top
Just catching up on things and spotted this. You're getting as bad as kaykay3 for having low mileage cars!!!!

Looking good. Where was 'B. Bridge'? Bamber Bridge, Battles Bridge, somewhere else altogether???

Back to the top

watson said

Wow what a find.  I remember you telling me about this when we spoke at the Malvern show.  It looks just stunning, and a bonus having all the paperwork and even the wooden blocks for jacking up.  I'd just give it a light polish now and again and take out on dry days.

Cheers Dave. It doesn't really need polishing!

Dano said

Just catching up on things and spotted this. You're getting as bad as kaykay3 for having low mileage cars!!!!

Looking good. Where was 'B. Bridge'? Bamber Bridge, Battles Bridge, somewhere else altogether???

Blythe Bridge near Stoke

Back to the top
This is truly stunning. I bet you're well chuffed. The amount of detail in the history is incredible!

Back to the top

Bronze said

I bet you're well chuffed.
The owner wrote me a hand written letter out of the blue to say he was ready to sell following a couple of previous discussions with him back in 2012 and earlier this year.
My wife opened the letter by mistake (allegedly) and thought about discarding the letter as in her mind I already had too many projects!
If she had I would never have known he was ready to part with it as I wouldn't have ever followed it up believing these type of cars never come to the market place other than through dealers or auctions.

I'm glad she never threw it! :wub:

Back to the top
Been sorting a few issues out with it over the holiday………

Compared to my black one it seemed to take an age to get the engine started both when hot and when cold. Plenty of hot and cold start issues around this forum over the years but never experienced it myself until now.

I'm posting this diagnosis blurb as it may help others as a potential cause for similar issues.

I thought maybe it was the fifth injector for the cold start problem so whipped that off and tried it into an empty clear bottle. Sure enough no fuel so changed that for a spare and now had fuel out the 5th injector. I'm guessing because its been stood for so long the original 5th injector maybe stuck shut.

It actually made cold starting worse. What I thought was lack of fuel was actually too much fuel. I then pulled an injector from the head still connected to its feed pipe. Shoved a spare injector in the hole i'd left behind and started it up on three cylinders.

The first thing I noticed was when the pump primed before cranking the injector squirted fuel for a moment and then stopped.

Once fired up, revved it a few times and the fuel out the injector looked fine.

When the engine was switched off the injector continued to fire fuel until the system pressure died.

This was the hot start  problem but was probably also masking the dud 5th injector issue. The metering head needle was momentarily sticking open causing fuel to be fed into the cylinders when the engine was stationary twice - Once on prime and then once when switching off causing the engine to flood. On prime the sudden hydraulicing in the system was probably enough to snap the needle shut but not before it had this little squirt into the cylinder. If I primed the system for a second time the injector never showed signs of further fuel leakage meaning the needle was now sealed shut in the metering head.

Luckily I had a spare metering head which I've had for about 20 years that came off a 20,000 mile rolled cabby so I knew it was good. Cleaned it up and fitted it and now it starts like it should.

Sorry for the ramble!

Also manged to turn it round in the garage today and took some shots of the rear end as I never had any. Don't think the boot has ever been used…….

012.JPG    012.JPG 012.JPG 012.JPG 012.JPG 012.JPG 012.JPG

Back to the top
That is very tidy,

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
I need to go change my pants !

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.