Skip navigation

Wilkos cabby

Back to the top

TLC project

Well she is finally home and started to wipe it down.  Spotted few problems already.
Mainly the electric  roof won't go down but seems switch is broken but can't here relay clicking (unless doing it wrong) but gonna try manually.
Well few pics will keep updating this
IMG_1946.JPG IMG_1947.JPG IMG_1948.JPG IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1955.JPG

Last edit: by wilko13

Back to the top

Wilkos cabby

News got engine running for the first time in 3 years. The wires to the electric roof switch have been cut and spliced and one removed so gonna do it manually for time being. So at mo shopping list consists of
Spark plugs
Ht leads
Fuel filter
Passanger track rod end
Cambelt kit

Back to the top
Nice one!! It must feel good to start getting the grime off it.

If you want to move the roof before fixing it, you can open the tap valve on the pump, in the left side of the boot. Then just pull it back by hand ;)

It's not looking too bad now the dirt is going  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Wilkos cabby

Without the dirt imperfections are showing lol only a couple of touch paint spots the previous owner has done but it's a old car lol

Back to the top
Where did you find that? It was very green, I would of been tempted to leave how you found it just to be different :-)

Will you be adding these to your shopping list?

Coolant flush and replace coolant
New oil filter and oil.
Dissy cap and rotor arm
A new alternator belt is also a good idea.

Look inside the fuel tank for rust/grit and check the filler neck as if the car's been sat for a long time with little petrol in the fuel tank it will go rusty and if you can stop/clean it before it goes into the fuel system you will save your self a lot of time and money with running problems.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Wilkos cabby

Basically found it in a field of cars limit rust in filler neck tank was empty had new dizzy bushes Amadeus suspension put on between it off road and me buying it yea will do alternater belt as well.  Oil does look fresh and filter looks new but will replace and yea looked at coolant its pure water lmao

Back to the top

Wilkos cabby

Been shopping today got all this for 74 quid
Expansion tank
Ht leads
4 spark plugs
Alternator belt
Timing belt
Air filter
Fuel filter
Track rod end
2x wheel bolts
Seems well priced to me
Hoping to get most of it fitted this weekend

Back to the top
Shhhhh keep quite, every one will found out theses are cheap cars to run and easy to work on!

Don't forget a new timing belt tensioner is a good idea.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Volkswagen_Golf_1.8_1988/p/car-parts/car-service-parts/major-service/tensioners-idlers-dampers/?328440040&1&5e288759daf4aee959ac7003fc1c82d68f9b22ef9ee6175b6ffbd04386f5fe4f3eb4b313a9b5a0cc&000091
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_1.8_1988/p/car-parts/car-service-parts/major-service/tensioners-idlers-dampers/?328440040&1&bfefb62f2a2452e8e998f2eb9bc607b890a8f928&000091

Dissy cap and rotor arm also missing from list.

I would also change the brake fluid and fit new rear brake wheel cyinders (change them before changing fluid) and may fit new discs and pads up front and have a very good look at the rear shoes and drums. The brakes are a very important bit of any car so not worth taking a risk with them.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

Wilkos cabby

Breaks look new on front dizzy is new that's the cleanest part in the bay lol. As for tensioner I have read its not always necessary to change them but can get cheap enough. I'm getting few bits at a time at mo lol

Back to the top
I would always replace the tensioner too on a car that you don't know.

I know someone who just had their tensioner bolt snap on their VW Sharan, mashing the whole head as a result! It looked like the tensioner had been replaced on the last belt change but not the bolt as it looked very old and rusty!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I would always replace the tensioner too on a car that you don't know.

I know someone who just had their tensioner bolt snap on their VW Sharan, mashing the whole head as a result! It looked like the tensioner had been replaced on the last belt change but not the bolt as it looked very old and rusty!

Can say I've never changed my tensioner bolt/stud and it's never looked rusty in the 21 years I've owned the car.
Perhaps the few oil leaks over the years has stopped it going rusty?

Back to the top

Wilkos cabby

Lol yeah possibly! It's something I've not seen before, but the bolt definitely looked a lot older than the tensioner

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Wilkos cabby

Very disappointed today majority of parts I got (using number plate and chassis id) were wrong so gotta take back and start again. Spoke to a mate and they recon I have been sent bits for a mk2 gti not mk1

Back to the top
Oh no! Where did you get the parts from?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Wilkos cabby

Euro car parts.  Gonna get money back and give vw heritage a ring

Back to the top

Re: Wilkos cabby

Wilko13 said

ECP are usually very good…and the members discount is good :)

Have a look on their website and see if it gives you the same part numbers!

Matt

Banner

Back to the top

Wilkos cabby

Think doing it online is the problem. Well gonna take parts back and see what the sugest

Back to the top

Wilko13 said

To be honest from my experience, Euro have always been bad! I've never got the right part from them first time, irrespective of what info I've given them. I stopped using them a long time ago!

As you say, give VWH a try and don't forget Mark at Classic-VW funk-star

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Euro and GSF are not the best places to go and talk face to face as you only seem to get discount deals on line. I do use the click and collect at Euro car parts as that's my nearest place and they are now open on Sundays.
I've never had a problem ordering parts online and always get the bits I need if you are not sure which parts to order ask on here and we can help, your car and engine is same as mine.

The Mk2 Golf GTi did have the same engine (DX) at the start of its run and changed to the PB engine later in production but that is still a simular engine it just have a different fuel injection system, timing belts, alternator belts, oil filter, spark plugs, HT leads will all be the same, air filter is different.

Sister company and even cheaper.
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/

So which parts are wrong and what do you need and I will post up a link to the right bits. :thumbs:

Last edit: by mark1gls

Back to the top

Wilkos cabby

Fuel filter track rod end 5th Ht lead came belt and alternator belt. I don't seem to have standard are box mine has not bottom to it and no panel filter has a red foam held down with a white plastic screw ( apparently performance filter)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.