Skip navigation

1.8t 20v engine hitting bonnet

Back to the top
Hi can anyone advise me on this issue?

I used justcaddy mounts and the bonnet won't close. Iv seen ones with the same issue and the bonnet cut but I would rather not do that if its possible:/
Iv also seen a few that dont have this issue!

Can anyone give me there thoughts or experience on is please.

Cheers guys 

Back to the top
Hi Mate, is it the actual engine or just the engine cover, I know some that have taken the plastic engine cover off and bonnet then closes

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Hi mate cheers for the reply, it's the throttle body itself as the inlet manifold sits high O_o

Back to the top
Did I not read somewhere on the internet about checking the engine mount is the right way around in the holder?
I could be wrong as I've still got a standard engine…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply mate. I'm pretty  sure that bits right on it but will triple check just incase.
I'm sure that would only change it about 15mm.
A concern is when the engine is on lift under acceleration it could damage or pop the bonnet open. Iv emailed justcaddys to 

Back to the top
Thanks to you guys for your input and info :thumbs:
You were spot on mark1gls :cool:
Justcaddys got back to me and it seems Iv pressed the gearbox mount in upside down.. God knows how il get it back out but hopefully that's the cure!
Had a tinker earlier and it seems it will!

Thanks again :thumbs:

Back to the top
Glad I could be a help.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Trying to visualise it in my mind, but would,nt fitting the rubber insert upside down actually lower engine/gearbox, and give more clearance.

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Trying to visualise it in my mind, but would,nt fitting the rubber insert upside down actually lower engine/gearbox, and give more clearance.

That's what I initially thought when pressing them in! Not sure if the are at a slight angle thou O_o

Back to the top
I only read it somewhere so don't blame me if I'm wrong as I've got a standard engine so not had to play with a 20v. :thumbs:

Back to the top
The holes in both mounts should be at their lowest point, if you need to see a pic, check my build on page 56 where I'm modifying my mounts, you can see which way round they go.

I'm using epytec mounts but they're pretty much the same.

Back to the top
Thanks guys I have the mounts fitted with the hole toward the bottom on both O_o  
Just caddy emailed me back thou and told me the gearbox one should be up O_o
I may try that first as its easier to get to.
That's obviously why it leaning back so much to! Backward before I can go forward :thumbs:

Back to the top
Pressing it back out wont be easy in the vice :ninja:

Back to the top
Is the rubber mount like a standard one? If so you can get a hack saw blade and cut through the shell of the mount from the inside out and not damaging the mount holder then you can drive a screw drive in between the mount and holder and the mount should hammer out.
You will of course need to buy a new mount and still press/drive the new mount in.

Back to the top
Yeah it is cheers for the tip Iv done that before on axel mounts! Never thought on cutting up a new one :thumbs:
Do you know if you get uprated mounts or just the additional bugpack insert type?

Back to the top
Sure ive seen recently on ebay some yellow mounts advertised which I assume to be polly although I never looked closely as they didn't interest me.     JUST had a quick look, couldn't find them again.

Back to the top
I've read and heard that poly engine mounts will cause alot of noise and vibration inside the car, most people seem to change back to standard rubber mounts or upgrade to a diesel engine mount at the rear of the engine, not sure if this is possible on a 20v?

May be worth finding some one who has poly mounts or posting up a thread to see if it's worth it?  

Last edit: by mark1gls

Back to the top
What engine code are you running as I had the same issue?

Back to the top
Always got the old trick of putting some silicone sealant in the voids in the rubber mounts.

Back to the top
Use tiger seal it last a little longer lol makes a big difference but if you want comfort then leave them alone because it will send vibration through your car.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.